Author Topic: Sunday...anyone awake? anyone? Bueller?  (Read 9124 times)

Offline jtyangel

Sunday...anyone awake? anyone? Bueller?
« on: January 13, 2008, 07:03:44 AM »
Morning everyone...I'm up, I guess not particularly early since it is almost 8, but I have some schoolwork to accomplish today.

Since it is 8 and not much better then dawn outside, I'm assuming it will be an ugly gray Ohio day(as usual for this time of year).

TOTD: Name one technology that has changed your life...and why.

For me it definitely has to be the computer. I think it is a mixed blessing though. Connecting with people here can often lead a void in one's normal life if one isn't careful with keeping a balance. It can isolate people, but by the same token people who are isolated already by circumstance or condition can now find ways to connect with other people and at least keep their minds active and vibrant.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Re: Sunday...anyone awake? anyone? Bueller?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:19:02 AM »
The day is half over here! Lots of paperwork to catch up on which is not good. 
TOTD definitely the computer, it's the one piece of tech I would find it hard to give up.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 07:33:28 AM »
Morning.  I've been away for a few days visiting my sister.

computer - imagine having all the world's information at your fingertips - and we use it for Babe of the Day   :lmao:
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 07:59:03 AM »
Welcome back RC, I was missing you and hoping you didn't join a cult or something.  :-)

Ditto on the computer, though I would have to say specifically the internet-abled personal computer. And I also agree that it is so easy to sit home and look up your friends rather than call and visit. That may not always be a good thing. Yea, dude of the day....   :lmao:
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 08:15:09 AM »
The day is half over here! Lots of paperwork to catch up on which is not good. 
TOTD definitely the computer, it's the one piece of tech I would find it hard to give up.

Yep, it is definitely THAT useful!

I share your pain on the catching up part, bijou...I want to look for misplaced and severed body part stories and stupid crook tales, but I have a couple chapters to tend to in my studies. Until later! :cheersmate:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 08:15:50 AM »
Morning.  I've been away for a few days visiting my sister.

computer - imagine having all the world's information at your fingertips - and we use it for Babe of the Day   :lmao:

Hey, we look for information too... :naughty:

Good to have you back, RC...you were missed :cheersmate:

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »
I had to drop a friend off at JFK International on short notice so I took the kids up to visit my sister in Jersey.  Didn't have time to post.  Wow, has this place grown or what?

Sorry, no cult yet.  But I could be persuaded   :naughty:
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 08:16:57 AM »
Welcome back RC, I was missing you and hoping you didn't join a cult or something.  :-)

Ditto on the computer, though I would have to say specifically the internet-abled personal computer. And I also agree that it is so easy to sit home and look up your friends rather than call and visit. That may not always be a good thing. Yea, dude of the day....   :lmao:
We don't need no stinkin' dude of the day...we got all the umph right here :naughty: :naughty:

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 08:19:34 AM »

We don't need no stinkin' dude of the day...we got all the umph right here :naughty: :naughty:

apparently all my selections for dude of the day were ambiguously gay... that is, according to shortbus mgt.  :tongue: I really need to get some work done today, I frittered away all of yesterday, I bet my post count is higher than yours!
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 08:21:27 AM »

apparently all my selections for dude of the day were ambiguously gay... that is, according to shortbus mgt.  :tongue: I really need to get some work done today, I frittered away all of yesterday, I bet my post count is higher than yours!

Close...and I even tried to not post yesterday to let everyone come in line--LOL

Hint: Any competition to them is 'ambiguously gay'.  :-)

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 08:23:09 AM »
I had to drop a friend off at JFK International on short notice so I took the kids up to visit my sister in Jersey.  Didn't have time to post.  Wow, has this place grown or what?

Yes it has grown and the rate of our growth is inversely proportional to the rate of decline at DrNuts place.  :-) Hat tip to BadCat for that pet name.

Our cult will be the "sexfiend and boozehound" cult.  :lmao:

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 08:33:40 AM »

Yes it has grown and the rate of our growth is inversely proportional to the rate of decline at DrNuts place.  :-) Hat tip to BadCat for that pet name.

:pickme:

TOTD.......cellphone, now I can be bothered anywhere. How I was able to conduct my life without having that POS phone ringing constantly for no good reason is beyond me.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 08:41:49 AM »

TOTD.......cellphone, now I can be bothered anywhere. How I was able to conduct my life without having that POS phone ringing constantly for no good reason is beyond me.

Admit it...it makes you feel wanted :lmao: :evillaugh:

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 08:53:38 AM »

On the cell phone................hell no I hate the thing

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 09:09:47 AM »

How people can carry on a conversation while sitting on the crapper is beyond me.  :lmao:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 09:17:29 AM »

I was kidding..I usually turn mine down most of the day or screen calls...I really don't want to chase down my 3 year old, try to buy groceries, and talk to someone at the same time...I am not a multi-tasker on such things

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 09:18:07 AM »
Good morning and happy Sunday all  :-)  I bought two little orange trees yesterday, and I'm planning on planting them today. 

TOTD:  Broadband/hi-speed internet.  I remember when my dad first got the internet.  We had AOL dial up and we had something like 12 hours a month for the whole family, and half the time was spent loading the pages :p

Now, we can all spend as much time as we want, and most the time is spent doing something other than waiting for the pages to load :p

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 09:19:02 AM »

How people can carry on a conversation while sitting on the crapper is beyond me.  :lmao:

Where do you think I'm tyyypppinng from right now

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2008, 09:19:16 AM »
Morning,been grocery shopping and cutting firewood,taking a little break from that.

TOTD: The computer.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »
Morning, ya'll. It is gray, gloomy, and just cold here today as well.

I've got some things to do around the house....like ironing... :werd: I could also do a little more household shopping today and take advantage of hubby being home with the baby  :baby:, but I really don't feel like going anywhere today.

TOTD: Same here with the computer. True, the computer can isolate people, but I think more than anything it brings people together and is a very efficient way of keeping people together that know  each other IRL (friends, family...). I find that anything I am curious about and/or want more information about, I simply look it up online. We've each got our own personal PCs in this house, and I have my own laptop  :o I really don't know what I'd do without a computer at this point in life.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Flame

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2008, 10:11:09 AM »
Morning, all.

Lazy day here...I think I'll be hard pressed to get out of my jammies at all today!  I'll be watching football this afternoon.

TOTD:  The computer...the internet, specifically. 

Offline jendf

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2008, 10:14:03 AM »
Good morning. I stayed up late last night watching one of my favorite movies, Return to Me. *sigh* When is my Prince Charming going to chase me all the way to Italy to tell me he loves me?

TOTD: Computer.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2008, 10:16:07 AM »
Good morning. I stayed up late last night watching one of my favorite movies, Return to Me. *sigh* When is my Prince Charming going to chase me all the way to Italy to tell me he loves me?

TOTD: Computer.

I don't know, but when it happens, send his brother my way ;) 

:-)

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 10:19:03 AM »
Hi everybody!

Just finished making a pot of turkey chili. Now it will simmer for about 6 hours, and it'll be ready for dinner. We're supposed to get "significant" snow tonight in Philly, so it's a guess whether there'll be school.

TOTD: Although the computer is definitely one, also for me is the iPod. I've had one for about 3 years, and I still can't get over the fact that I can carry practically my entire music collection in a little flash drive the size of a couple of credit cards. I have no idea how I managed before this little miracle.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 10:23:28 AM »

Where do you think I'm tyyypppinng from right now

I so knew you were full of it! Well maybe not anymore.  :tongue:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.