Author Topic: Sodastream  (Read 2993 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Sodastream
« on: February 03, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »
As long as we're discussing SB food, and I just happened to see the banner ad for this...

We got one for the family for X-Mas.  I LOVELOVELOVE this thing.

http://www.sodastream.com/

We got the "kit" that included one of the CO2 bottles, the dispenser, a couple of bottles, and some samples to make.  I think it ran like $75.  Most places like Best Buy, Target, and Bed Bath & Beyond carry them.

The syrup bottles make about 12 liters worth of soda and go for $4-5 each.  I am partial to the root beer, orange, and diet pink grapefruit (yes, diet pink grapefruit.)

Fill the bottle up to the line with water, give it a few shots of CO2, pour the syrup in, let it mix, and it's good for 3-4 days.

Awesome if you are into making lots of different types but don't want huge caseloads of sodas hanging around the house.

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/where_to_buy.aspx
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline debk

Re: Sodastream
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 11:58:35 AM »
I wondered if these were any good.

Diet pink grapefruit sounds good. I like Fresca, which is kind of grapefruity and it's 0 calories I think.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 12:03:25 PM »
Most of the ones we bought were pretty good, the only exception being cream soda, which kind of had a burnt plastic smell/taste to it, but other than that, everything else we've tried so far has been good.

Once you buy the initial setup, a CO2 cartridge goes for $30 new or $15 for a refill (and you can ship via UPS if you can't buy them locally, but usually you can.)  Those are supposed to give you 120 liters worth, but even at only 100 liters, that's 15 cents per bottle, plus 40-50 cents for syrup, making your soda about 55-60 cents per liter.  Pretty competitive.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 12:39:52 PM »
Most of the ones we bought were pretty good, the only exception being cream soda, which kind of had a burnt plastic smell/taste to it, but other than that, everything else we've tried so far has been good.

Once you buy the initial setup, a CO2 cartridge goes for $30 new or $15 for a refill (and you can ship via UPS if you can't buy them locally, but usually you can.)  Those are supposed to give you 120 liters worth, but even at only 100 liters, that's 15 cents per bottle, plus 40-50 cents for syrup, making your soda about 55-60 cents per liter.  Pretty competitive.

Interesting if you have a large family that is thirsty all at the same time.

I wonder how the CO 2 works on other drinks,  Say a Bloody Mary or a Vodka and orange drink.   Can one turn cheap wine into Cold Duck with the extra sparkle from the CO2 ???

What is wrong with making your own Root beer, experiment and sooner or later you will find the Grand taste of A&W  Root beer as it tasted when we were kids. 

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 01:06:31 PM »
I have been wondering how these things are.  I have been trying to cut down on my soda intake but I may still try one in the next few months.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 01:36:59 PM »
Interesting if you have a large family that is thirsty all at the same time.

I wonder how the CO 2 works on other drinks,  Say a Bloody Mary or a Vodka and orange drink.   Can one turn cheap wine into Cold Duck with the extra sparkle from the CO2 ???

What is wrong with making your own Root beer, experiment and sooner or later you will find the Grand taste of A&W  Root beer as it tasted when we were kids. 

Jesus, vesta, it's not like we're making 48 of them a day.  Maybe more like 3 a week, tops.

Tell ya what--YOU buy it and carbonate a bloody mary, mkay?  Let us know how that turns out.

And making one's own root beer?  BTDT, but it takes TIME.  Just like making beer.  On the order of weeks.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »
Jesus, vesta, it's not like we're making 48 of them a day.  Maybe more like 3 a week, tops.

Tell ya what--YOU buy it and carbonate a bloody mary, mkay?  Let us know how that turns out.

And making one's own root beer?  BTDT, but it takes TIME.  Just like making beer.  On the order of weeks.

Now you got me wondering what happens to carbonated tomato juice mixed with Vodka, and a few spices thrown in.

TGIF has this outrageous Bloody Mary  served in a large glass , frosted and salt rimed There has to be 6 ounces of veggies in the glass, on a skewer .Now if this drink were carbonated I wonder about the cost, their regular one is about $9.00 add in the cost to make it fizzle-----out of my price range.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
Now you got me wondering what happens to carbonated tomato juice mixed with Vodka, and a few spices thrown in.

TGIF has this outrageous Bloody Mary  served in a large glass , frosted and salt rimed There has to be 6 ounces of veggies in the glass, on a skewer .Now if this drink were carbonated I wonder about the cost, their regular one is about $9.00 add in the cost to make it fizzle-----out of my price range.

One of my friends has rum and coke , and bourbon and coke on tap from his keg fridge (which is kinda like a Sodastream for drunken hicks).

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:17:30 AM »
Undies used to talk about using grape juice in his Sodastream, sounded pretty good.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 01:59:38 PM »
So Sparky, now your'e a soda JERK?
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.