Author Topic: favorite holiday snack  (Read 9876 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: favorite holiday snack
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »
Forgot to add orange slices! Not real ones, although during the holidays I'm always on the lookout for cara cara oranges. But ever since working in the grocery store, and the market being in charge of packaging the holiday candy, I just love those artificially flavored, sugar crusted hunks of rubber.  :-)

I remember my mom bought me an enormous bag of those from Sam's Club when I was in high school.  Ate the whole thing in about a week and got a horrible case of heartburn.  I haven't been able to enjoy them since, but they are good.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2009, 01:30:31 PM »
Grandmothers shrimp dip (made in a jello mold) containing:

Lots of cocktail shrimp
Tomato soup
Cream cheese
Sour cream
Knox's gelatin
Mix and chill for 34 hours......heavenly with any kind of crackers.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »
Deb and Schade nailed two of mine:

Mixed nuts of all types
Peppermint ice cream

Plus:
Mint M&M's   :drool:

Why is it that you can't get mint M&M's at any other time of year but Christmas? Why is it you can't buy nuts in their shells (almonds in particular, since our parrots each get an almond a day) except during the Holidays? And ditto for peppermint ice cream?

I'm a mintaholic, so to have to go all year long just to get a scoop of peppermint ice cream is bullshit.

Who makes the freakin' mint rules up, anyway?  :badmood: :maddernhell: :therock: :redbird:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 03:26:36 PM »

Mixed nuts of all types
Peppermint ice cream

Plus:

Why is it that you can't get mint M&M's at any other time of year but Christmas? Why is it you can't buy nuts in their shells (almonds in particular, since our parrots each get an almond a day) except during the Holidays? And ditto for peppermint ice cream?

I'm a mintaholic, so to have to go all year long just to get a scoop of peppermint ice cream is bullshit.

Who makes the freakin' mint rules up, anyway?  :badmood: :maddernhell: :therock: :redbird:

You are one of very few that I know that likes peppermint ice cream.  I can get it year round at Braums  :tongue:

It is AWESOME with hot fudge on top.
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
You are one of very few that I know that likes peppermint ice cream.  I can get it year round at Braums  :tongue:

It is AWESOME with hot fudge on top.

Is Braums some kind of grocery store/chain?

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 05:49:40 PM »
Is Braums some kind of grocery store/chain?

"Braum's" is a dairy-plant operated by the Braum family in Tuttle, OK. They have stores in which they 1/2 serve fast-food and 1/2 is a grocery. They have many stores in OK and some in bordering states.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 08:03:03 PM »
"Braum's" is a dairy-plant operated by the Braum family in Tuttle, OK. They have stores in which they 1/2 serve fast-food and 1/2 is a grocery. They have many stores in OK and some in bordering states.

Yeah.  Bordering states.  Like Texas.  I will never move anywhere if I can't get a Whataburger, or Braums.  :)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 09:53:32 PM »
Yeah.  Bordering states.  Like Texas.  I will never move anywhere if I can't get a Whataburger, or Braums.  :)

Damn. Freakin' illegals can get all the peppermint ice cream they can eat and I go without.  :censored:

Offline kenth

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 11:04:08 PM »

Ahh.. I've been in Georgia the last 11 years, so went without Braum's all this time. Was back in OK a couple of weeks ago as we are moving back, and stopped in to get a freakishly huge cherry limeade. Man it was heaven.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 08:07:20 AM »
Damn. Freakin' illegals can get all the peppermint ice cream they can eat and I go without.  :censored:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2009, 09:48:13 AM »

They have stores in SW Missouri. Neosho, Springfield, etc.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline debk

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 02:45:27 PM »
Peppermint ice cream with hot fudge on it ....oh my... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Euph....I buy the large boxes of York peppermint patties at Sam's, the ones that are an inch or so wide...dump them in a plastic bag and keep them in the freezer.

Big Lots is carrying mint M&M's....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2009, 04:46:52 PM »
I just made these today.  My Mother-in-law gave me the recipe a couple of years ago.  They are very addicting. (I just happened to post this today on my FB too).

Cayenne Pretzels

3/4 to 1 cup corn oil (she has corn underlined so I think it is important to use corn oil)
1 envelope Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 packages (10 oz each) Pretzel Sticks

Add first 4 ingredients, mix well (I use one gallon ziplock bag and do one package at a time using half of the mixture in each). Divide pretzels into 2 ungreased 15' x 10" rimmed sheet pans*. Bake at 200 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. Stir occasionally. Store in air tight containers (I will store them in zip lock freezer bags and freeze some to keep for later).

* I used two cookie sheets covered in foil (so I don't have to clean after) because I didn't have the rimmed sheet pans. I didn't stir either because I put them on cookie sheets and it would make a mess if I did. It doesn't say to do it on the recipe buy you probably want to allow it to "dry" on paper towels for awhile before storing them.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 05:18:16 PM »
They have stores in SW Missouri. Neosho, Springfield, etc.

Still a bit out of my reach. I'm 35 miles north of Columbia....

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 05:20:02 PM »
Peppermint ice cream with hot fudge on it ....oh my... :drool: :drool: :drool:

Euph....I buy the large boxes of York peppermint patties at Sam's, the ones that are an inch or so wide...dump them in a plastic bag and keep them in the freezer.

Big Lots is carrying mint M&M's....

Now there are two good EXCEPTIONAL ideas. One problem - we don't have Big Lots here. We've got all manner of "dollar" stores, but no freakin' Big Lots.

Sam Walton owns Columbia, MO, so there's no problem with the York PP...

Offline debk

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2009, 10:47:37 PM »
Now there are two good EXCEPTIONAL ideas. One problem - we don't have Big Lots here. We've got all manner of "dollar" stores, but no freakin' Big Lots.

Sam Walton owns Columbia, MO, so there's no problem with the York PP...

No Big Lots?....you have my sympathy!!!

We found one in the Grand Island phone book, only to find out it closed a few months ago.

I find so much stuff there!! Office stuff - great place to buy reams of printing paper. Food...good place for gourmet stuff to try that if you don't like it, it didn't cost very much...they always have Ghiradelli chocolate chips. Toiletries, M is really picky about the type of razor he uses...doesn't want the moisture strip on them....I found a kind there that he likes...I think there are 10 to a pack for $2. Kitchen stuff....from dishtowels to utensils. Decorating stuff....for inside, outside, great seasonal stuff, wonderful for finding pretty throw pillows at a fraction of the department stores.

[Margot and I end up getting a lot of the same clothes, just because our taste is very similar....we have to call each other before going some place together to make sure we are wearing different clothes.]

She found a hooded cable sweater yesterday at the new Big Lots we went to....it was $5. I, of course, had to get one too. Good for replacing white sport socks that the dryer eats.

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »

Mixed nuts of all types
Peppermint ice cream

Plus:

You just live too far North, Eupher. When I was up in MN, peppermint ice cream was only available during the Christmas season. I moved back to Texas and it's available most of the time. HOWEVER, you can ALWAYS make your own Peppermint Ice Cream. I did this past summer and it was far superior to anything I could get in the stores. Just don't mix in the crushed peppermints until AFTER the ice cream has mostly frozen in the churn.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2009, 12:24:29 PM »
You just live too far North, Eupher. When I was up in MN, peppermint ice cream was only available during the Christmas season. I moved back to Texas and it's available most of the time. HOWEVER, you can ALWAYS make your own Peppermint Ice Cream. I did this past summer and it was far superior to anything I could get in the stores. Just don't mix in the crushed peppermints until AFTER the ice cream has mostly frozen in the churn.

We'll eventually work our way back to Tennessee -  having come full circle. The older I get, the more I hate the cold, the snow, and the misery.

Air conditioning makes up for the misery associated with excess heat.

I haven't made ice cream in 30 years. Maybe there's some ice cream base in my future still...

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »
Hello peppermint bon bon is made year round up here. PFFBT  :p
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2009, 10:07:36 AM »
Hello peppermint bon bon is made year round up here. PFFBT  :p

That ain't the same......... :p  The only place I found in MN where I could regularly purchase peppermint ice cream was in Afton.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline debk

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »
Bought peppermint ice cream at Krogers the other day. They only had two brands of it. I don't particularly like the dairy brand one, (it makes me feel like it coats my teeth - yuk) so I got the Kroger one. Bought it last winter and it was fine...not great, but acceptable.

Opened it last night......it was such a waste of calories.... :bawl:

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2009, 10:23:46 AM »
I bought a little thing of Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark this weekend.  That, also was a waste.  Dang.

I will bring it into work. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2009, 10:28:39 AM »
Bought peppermint ice cream at Krogers the other day. They only had two brands of it. I don't particularly like the dairy brand one, (it makes me feel like it coats my teeth - yuk) so I got the Kroger one. Bought it last winter and it was fine...not great, but acceptable.

Opened it last night......it was such a waste of calories.... :bawl:

Yeah, Krogers is another thing you've got that we don't have.

Here where I live, in the town of all of 14K people, we have TWO - (count 'em) grocery stores. The first is a Wal-Mart Super Center and if you think they have a good selection of anything (except plenty of those folks you saw a few weeks ago in that thread of people who frequent Wal-Mart  :rotf: ), I've got some lakefront property in Arizona to sell you. The second is a local chain called "Bratcher's". Now with a name like that, you just know they don't have peppermint ice cream. They're not refined enough.  :lmao:

Offline debk

« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2009, 10:41:48 AM »
I bought a little thing of Ghiradelli Peppermint Bark this weekend.  That, also was a waste.  Dang.

I will bring it into work. 

Yeah...I found that out too. I think part of the problem is that it's old - stale - when it goes on the shelves.

I'm going to try to make some.

I found some peppermint bits....can't remember who makes them...Wilton?

I'm going to take a cookie sheet, cover it with parchment paper and butter it. Melt dark chocolate chips, spread that on the parchment, refrigerate until it hardens. Then cover it with melted white chocolate chips and sprinkle the peppermint pieces on it. Refrigerate, then break it up....

Might need to add a bit of cream to the chips to get a good consistency.

I haven't made it before....but I'm thinking this should work.

Also have been thinking of how to do pecan turtles....I think I have those figured out. Again with buttered parchment....melt Kraft caramels and drop by tablespoonful onto the parchment, put in three pecans. Let harden ....then dip in melted milk chocolate.  I'm thinking using the Kraft caramels would be easier than making caramel from scratch. I have a little slow cooker and I'm thinking that if I melt the chocolate first then pour it into the slow cooker, it should keep it at a good consistency for dipping.

I heard about making truffles with crushed Oreos and cream cheese that sounds like an idea too.  Mix them in a food processor, roll into small balls, refrigerate, dip into milk chocolate....and then I think if I drizzle white chocolate over them ...it would be pretty.

I saw Paula Deen on tv last year before Christmas that I want to try. Make fudge, and take little hunks, roll into balls about the size of a Tootsie Pop. Stick a sucker stick in the top (I found them at AC Moore for 50 of them I think it was about $2). Let them harden, then dip into melted caramel. Let them harden again. Then dip into melted dark or milk chocolate. Let them harden again. Then dip in melted white chocolate. Let them harden and wrap in saran wrap and tie a bit of curly ribbon around it. (I found green cling wrap) I'm thinking it would be fun to dip them in chocolate sprinkles or crushed peanuts too.  

I love this time of year......calories don't count!!!! :-)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2009, 08:09:09 PM »
I have to work on Christmas, so I think I may make s'mores for myself (and maybe a couple other people.  maybe).

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1713,156179-255197,00.html
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.