Author Topic: Obama Shafts Britain on Falklands  (Read 1171 times)

Offline thundley4

Obama Shafts Britain on Falklands
« on: April 17, 2012, 04:05:07 PM »
The special relationship between the USA and Britain has survived for many generations. Whether it survives Hopey Change remains to be seen. In addition to a long list of petty insults and offering British nuclear secrets to the Russians, Obama is now siding with Argentina against our closest ally regarding the Falklands:

Obama’s declaration in Colombia on Sunday that the United States is “going to remain neutral” on the sovereignty dispute between Argentina and Britain over the Falkland Islands is the latest in a string of administration statements that in fact tilt towards Argentina’s position.

The Falklands have been part of Britain since 1833. Britain is not going to negotiate Argentina’s desire to seize the islands unless the people who live there agree to. Thirty years ago they fought a war over this. Obama’s idea of remaining neutral is to take Argentina’s side by calling for “dialogue.”

Obama will not have endeared himself to some in Britain by using — or attempting to use — Argentina’s name for the islands, “Las Malvinas.”

Replying to a questioner from Colombian television who asked him about “the Malvinas issue,” Obama opened his response with the words, “And in terms of the Maldives or the Falklands — whatever your preferred term — our position on this is that we are going to remain neutral.” (The Maldives is an independent island nation in the Indian Ocean.)
http://moonbattery.com/?p=10658

Why does Obama hate our traditional allies?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Obama Shafts Britain on Falklands
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »
http://moonbattery.com/?p=10658

Why does Obama hate our traditional allies?

He's making room for the muzzies.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
I believe we remained technically neutral in the Falklands War..widely believed even then that there was some back-channel help to the Brits, though...
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 04:50:54 PM »
I believe we remained technically neutral in the Falklands War..widely believed even then that there was some back-channel help to the Brits, though...

I would think that Maggie Thatcher would consider it her duty to go in and kick Argentine ass -- single-handedly. And she had the balls to do it -- no need for overt American assistance.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
First Obama kicks Israel in the teeth (Multiple Times). Now Obama is kicking Britain in the teeth. He is such a doucheslobberer.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
The Magic One actually said "Maldives"?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 05:06:06 PM »

We helped them considerably.

Obama should have keep his mouth completely shut on this topic.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
The Magic One actually said "Maldives"?

Another vacation spot. After awhile they all run together.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 05:14:18 PM »
I would think that Maggie Thatcher would consider it her duty to go in and kick Argentine ass -- single-handedly. And she had the balls to do it -- no need for overt American assistance.

We covered their bases while they were away, refueled their aircraft, provided critical intel, and weapons (Sidewinder air-to-air missile, Stinger man-portable surface-to-air missile).  

There is a great old DoD paper on this I had saved on an old computer many years ago.   I can't find it now, but I will keep poking around for it.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »

What a shame that LADY Thatcher has larger huevos than the Man-child in Chief.  I'll bet she could still whoop SCOAMF's ass personally, without breaking a sweat.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »
We covered their bases while they were away, refueled their aircraft, provided critical intel, and weapons (Sidewinder air-to-air missile, Stinger man-portable surface-to-air missile).  

There is a great old DoD paper on this I had saved on an old computer many years ago.   I can't find it now, but I will keep poking around for it.

Let me re-phrase. By "overt" American assistance, I'm thinking of actual combat by pilots and their crews, naval vessels in the area, etc. By all means, if Maggie had asked for assistance I have no doubt we would've provided it.

But as a matter of British pride, it was to be a British fight. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 12:20:44 PM »

Not so sure that's correct on the Stingers, they had their own (Semi-)MANPAD air defense weapon they were trying to sell at the time, which they did deploy and use.  The Sidewinders were pretty much NATO standard, not sure they were supplied especially for this, though I'm sure they got a deal on replacing them afterward (So standard, in fact, that a pirate copy of them was being manufactured for the Red Air Force around then).  I have no doubt there was covert aid in the form of SATINT and SIGINT that went to them from us.  For reasons I can't detail, I also have some reason to believe there was some sabotage to certain critical Argentinian systems on the mainland which may possibly have involved us.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »
Y'all are getting all worked up over nothing. As already stated The US did and has maintained a position of neutrality concerning the Falklands, after the little war anyway. There is no there there.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »
Y'all are getting all worked up over nothing. As already stated The US did and has maintained a position of neutrality concerning the Falklands, after the little war anyway. There is no there there.

We're having a discussion, Zeus. It's the type of conversation that's intended to share information. I'm not seeing anybody getting worked up about anything, except, perhaps, you.  :whatever:

Bitchslapped, of course.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 01:42:51 PM »
We're having a discussion, Zeus. It's the type of conversation that's intended to share information. I'm not seeing anybody getting worked up about anything, except, perhaps, you.  :whatever:

Bitchslapped, of course.
George is getting upset...
Seinfeld
"George is turning into Jimmy"...
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 01:46:39 PM »

Bitchslapped, of course.

Post number 1 & 5.

I was just pointing out there is nothing to it Lots of things to go after Obama about. The US 30 yr position on the Falklands not one of them.

Technically the US has sided with Britain but Overtly the US has maintained Neutrality. Strange but it seems to work.

kinds like out non embargo/embargo of Cuba.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 01:51:42 PM »
George is getting upset...
Seinfeld
"George is turning into Jimmy"...

I don't do youtube, so you'll have to explain the point you're trying to make.

If you can, that is.

Offline obumazombie

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 01:55:55 PM »
I don't do youtube, so you'll have to explain the point you're trying to make.

If you can, that is.
I didn't see anyone getting upset either. The Seinfeld spot introduces humor into this exchange. At least I thought it would. Oddly enough about humor, the more you explain it, the worse it works.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
Post number 1 & 5.

I was just pointing out there is nothing to it Lots of things to go after Obama about. The US 30 yr position on the Falklands not one of them.

Technically the US has sided with Britain but Overtly the US has maintained Neutrality. Strange but it seems to work.

kinds like out non embargo/embargo of Cuba.

In Columbia?  Nah, that wasn't well played.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
Not so sure that's correct on the Stingers, they had their own (Semi-)MANPAD air defense weapon they were trying to sell at the time, which they did deploy and use.  The Sidewinders were pretty much NATO standard, not sure they were supplied especially for this, though I'm sure they got a deal on replacing them afterward (So standard, in fact, that a pirate copy of them was being manufactured for the Red Air Force around then).  I have no doubt there was covert aid in the form of SATINT and SIGINT that went to them from us.  For reasons I can't detail, I also have some reason to believe there was some sabotage to certain critical Argentinian systems on the mainland which may possibly have involved us.
President Reagan at first said the US would be impartial in the conflict between two of its allies. But on April 2, 1982, the day of the Argentinian  invasion, he sent Mrs Thatcher a note: “I want you to know that we have valued your cooperation on the challenge we both face in many different parts of the world. We will do what we can to assist you. Sincerely, Ron.”

A week later Reagan’s Secretary of State Al Haig visited London to mediate, but covertly delivered the message: “We are not impartial. We face a common problem. We must do all we can to strengthen you and your government.”

This week a BBC documentary by Sir Max Hastings, a former editor of the Standard, suggested many figures in Reagan’s administration “wanted to withhold support” from Britain. And some, like the UN Ambassador Jean Kirkpatrick, were pro-Argentina.

However, much of the help given to Britain is revealed in files from the CIA and other agencies which are published this week in the Washington National Archive and online.

America shared satellite and signals intelligence, plus Sidewinder air-to-air missiles and Stinger hand-held missiles — though this was denied at the time.

The files show Washington believed the Soviet Union was prepared to provide ships, weaponry and ammunition to the Argentinians,in return for cheap grain. One of the first things the US offered was fuel for the British Task Force and aircraft at the mid-Atlantic staging post of Ascension Island, which Britain leased to America.

“The underground fuel tanks were empty when the Task Force turned up in mid-April 1982,” recalls Major General Julian Thompson, then commanding the main Royal Marines assault force. The leading assault ship, HMS Fearless, did not have enough fuel to dock when it arrived off Ascension. The Americans diverted a supertanker to fill up the Navy’s tanks.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/world/cia-files-reveal-how-us-helped-britain-retake-the-falklands-7618420.html

The documents:

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB374/

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2012, 05:57:03 PM »
Fueling the vessels or aircraft of one combatant outside the war zone isn't a neutrality violation, as long as they eventually pay for it.