Author Topic: They tried to keep my sister from voting.  (Read 531 times)

Offline CC27

They tried to keep my sister from voting.
« on: March 05, 2024, 03:04:34 PM »
TygrBright (20,708 posts)

They tried to keep my sister from voting.
Recently retired and a lifelong Democrat, my sister moved from southern Illinois to Ann Arbor last summer. Ann Arbor is in Washtenaw County. It's the principal campus of the University of Michigan. It is reliably Democratic in its voting patterns, and my sis felt right at home there. Nice people, nice place.

Washtenaw County is surrounded by some of the reddest MAGAt-holes in Michigan, county-wise. But she knew that although Michigan is a swing state, it had a long progressive tradition, too - one of the wellsprings of America's labor movement, the home of Louis Brandeis. So she wasn't too worried.

Until the card dropped into her mailbox a couple of weeks ago.

It said "We have reason to believe you no longer live at (her address, which she'd used in registering to vote just LAST SUMMER). Unless you request and complete a verification form, you will be removed from the list of registered voters."

She didn't just request the verification form, she went, in person, to the county registrar and completed and submitted the form.

Nevertheless, when she went to vote today, her name was "flagged" on the voter roll for her polling place. Fortunately, she had brought extra identification verification - not just her State ID but recent utility bills bearing her address, and her auto registration with the address. And eventually she was allowed to vote.

Were you, gentle reader, under the impression that such articles as this coverage were hyperbole? Isolated incidents? Anomalies?

No.

They have shown their hand. The attempts to **** up the 2024 election by any means necessary (especially suppressing the vote in reliably Democratic areas) are already underway. Well-coordinated and well-funded. Happening to ordinary people, in ordinary places.

Make no mistake, we ARE at war, to save our democracy. Fight voter suppression any way you can. Start NOW.

Verify your registration. If you live in a swing state, verify it again, every few weeks, right up to the election. Prepare to be challenged. Gather your documentation. Report suspicious incidents. Do not go quietly. Write letters to the editor. Show the evidence. Shine light on the weasels who want to work in the shadows.

Save our democracy.

determinedly,
Bright

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100218746269

Your sister sounds like a moron

Offline YupItsMe

Re: They tried to keep my sister from voting.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2024, 03:44:21 PM »
  I proudly voted today (VT) as a Democrat for a day.  I checked write-in for the presidential choice and then wrote in "Anybody who can walk and chew gum at the same time".  Somebody's either going to get a chuckle tonight or go all Dummie-mode.  I happy with either result. :)

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2024, 04:01:02 PM »
That’s them pesky, voter ID laws kicking in. I guess you would be happier if anybody could just walk in and vote they could go to several polling places and vote. Several times. Isn’t that how liberals do it?

They didn’t actually try to keep her from voting they were trying to keep someone from stealing her vote. Stupid!
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2024, 04:07:29 PM »
Taking the story as actually having happened, why is verifying the sister's eligibility to vote in the precinct "trying to keep my sister from voting"? Especially since she is newly in the county?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 10:37:07 PM »
When was her funeral?

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 11:12:35 PM »
The Stupid is strong with that one. In my state we have to show ID when we get to the polls. Usually a drivers license is enough if your registered to vote and you keep it up to date. Any new person in the area is going to get asked for proof of who they are otherwise they have to deny you .
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline jukin

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2024, 05:10:13 PM »
They tried to keep my sister from voting TWICE.

Fixed for truth.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2024, 09:27:38 PM »
A whole lot of bouncey in that post.
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson