Author Topic: Why the left hates teachers  (Read 967 times)

Offline formerlurker

Why the left hates teachers
« on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »
Vote could push Chicago closer to teachers strike.

AP article

Offline thundley4

Re: Why the left hates teachers
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:03:09 AM »
The union wants a two-year deal that reduces class size and calls for teachers to receive a 24 percent pay raise in the first year and a 5 percent pay raise in the second year.

F*ck them!  Let them strike , 50% of their students fail anyway.  Tell them that if they strike they will get no back pay when they finally setttle, and in the meantime hire permanent replacements where possible, and those who are replaced are SOOL.

Offline J. M. Pyne

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:06 AM »
Stupid question, but can Chicago teachers strike?  I suppose they can.  Seems wrong.  Fed unions do not have that right.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 10:46:08 AM »
Stupid question, but can Chicago teachers strike?  I suppose they can.  Seems wrong.  Fed unions do not have that right.

Depends on the contract. When the ATC union had their strike in the early 80's, Reagan fired them all because they have a no strike clause in their CBA. I doubt Chicago Teacher's Union has the same clause, meaning they have the ability to hold the taxpayers hostage.

Please, CTU, go ahead and strike. Show the citizens of that city how you are more concerned about yourselves than the education of the children. Also, please Lord, let Obama publicly support the teachers in this action. A long, acrimonious strike may be enough to put IL in play, especially if WI and IN start showing the benefits of reining in public worker unions.

Offline movie buff

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
Maybe, maybe not. As others said, it depends on the teachers' contract.
It does indeed seem wrong. One of the main union- related issues most conservatives have, brought into the public eye by the Wisconsin teachers' strike last year, is that public- sector unions (i.e. Teachers, police officers) should not be allowed to go on strike.
See, when private- sector unions strike, it's just between the workers and their employers (And occasionally the customers who may be inconvenienced by it), nobody else really gets involved or impacted by it.
In contrast, when public- sector unions strike, it directly impacts everyone in the community, and the taxpayers as a whole (Whose taxes pay the public- sector workers' salaries) are basically held hostage to the unions' demands.
That is simply not right.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:14:30 AM »
A better term than public sector is government sector. I saw that on a Hannity panel discussion.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:21:19 AM »
We had a teachers strike at my daughters school about two years ago. It kept school from starting the year on time. They ended up having to go till the end of June to make up for the time.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:24 AM »
Public sector unions strike against their fellow citizens.  Timing is everything.  They seem to go better when unemployment is below 5% & their fellow citizens aren't terrified about their future.  But, nobody ever said timing was the Dummie's strong suit.

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 12:26:44 PM »
fire them and hire new one's.  I don't see what is so damn hard.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Re: Why the left hates teachers
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »
Let them strike now. It is summer.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

Re: Re: Why the left hates teachers
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 12:51:19 PM »
Let them strike now. It is summer.

If they vote to strike, they should start manning their picket lines.  Also, if they vote to strike now, that gives plenty of time to hire new teachers.  Screw the union, make the schools all non-union.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Re: Re: Re: Why the left hates teachers
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 01:17:39 PM »
If they vote to strike, they should start manning their picket lines.  Also, if they vote to strike now, that gives plenty of time to hire new teachers.  Screw the union, make the schools all non-union.

As many of you already know, the former Mrs. Wiggum is a teacher. And in the Chicago area. But never a union member, because she always taught in private schools. She's more middle of the road politically, but she despised unions.

So there's my semi-bouncy of the day. ;D
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
Teachers cannot go on strike in MA (it's a state law, not contract stipulation) - they do something instead known as work to the contract, which means they do not do a thing outside the contract (leave when the school bells rings, don't come in early, do nothing at home, refuse to do recommendations for colleges for HS students, etc.). 

I found this about IL:

Under a new Illinois law, at least 75 percent of the district's 25,500 teachers would have to vote in favor of a strike authorization.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/08/chicago-teachers-strike-v_0_n_1582547.html

Offline Karin

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 02:21:07 PM »
One of the things that pisses off the DUmp teachers is the notion that "anyone can teach."  It pisses them off because it's true.  If I had kids, I would trust this collection of CCers to instruct the little darlings far more than the DUmpmonkey "educators."  I'd be thrilled in fact.   

24% raise, with 5% after that?  Who the hell do they think they are? 

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 02:21:32 PM »
This is why public schools suck. I work in a private school on a year-to-year contract. I can be fired at the end of any school year for any reason. It's MY job to make sure I get hired back the next year. Wanna know how I've survived for 16 years? I'm pretty good. My focus is on doing my job well, because my job depends on it--kind of like everyone else's in the world.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 02:22:08 PM »
This is why public schools suck. I work in a private school on a year-to-year contract. I can be fired at the end of any school year for any reason. It's MY job to make sure I get hired back the next year. Wanna know how I've survived for 16 years? I'm pretty good. My focus is on doing my job well, because my job depends on it--kind of like everyone else's in the world.

I like people like you.  Merit minded work ethic.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 02:26:47 PM »
One of the things that pisses off the DUmp teachers is the notion that "anyone can teach."  It pisses them off because it's true.  If I had kids, I would trust this collection of CCers to instruct the little darlings far more than the DUmpmonkey "educators."  I'd be thrilled in fact.   

Karin, the failure rate of teachers is pretty high. About half leave the profession in the first few years. The notion that "anyone can teach" isn't true. It's a pretty difficult job. It's just that if you survive five years, it's almost impossible to get rid of you unless you commit a felony or something in the public schools.

The answer? Do away with teachers' unions. Let teachers negotiate their contracts separately. Reward the good ones. Help or remove the bad ones. Pretty straightforward.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 02:27:50 PM »

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Offline Karin

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 02:41:29 PM »
Understood, Splashdown.  That was a broadbrush statement. 

At the article at the top of the thread, there is precisely zero love for the Chicago teachers and their union in the comments.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I guess we know who's teaching sex ed...

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:45 PM »
 :panic: who?

Offline wasp69

• Hillbilly Yeti
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 02:55:05 PM »
"We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and then bid the geldings to be fruitful."

C.S. Lewis

A community may possess all the necessary moral qualifications, in so high a degree, as to be capable of self-government under the most adverse circumstances; while, on the other hand, another may be so sunk in ignorance and vice, as to be incapable of forming a conception of liberty, or of living, even when most favored by circumstances, under any other than an absolute and despotic government.

John C Calhoun, "Disquisition on Government", 1840

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 02:59:10 PM »
 :thatsright:  Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh  :rant: you have to spell things out for me! 

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:58 PM »
It's like the libs have never heard of homeschooling. Theoretically any monopolistic practice is illegal under US law. The NEA using monopolistic tactics should be charged with that in individual counts, and as a pattern in a RICO.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2012, 06:36:54 AM »
Yep.  The only point to tenure, IMHO, is for good teachers that have "the wrong politics."  I'm very happy about tenure because my husband, who is a good teacher, can't be fired for being a conservative.  He has, however, come home very unhappy after being on hiring committees and seeing completely qualified applicants passed over because they have taught or gone to school in "the wrong" kind of place.  Especially applicants with a religious education...they are almost never even considered.  :mad:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.