Author Topic: Why the Incompetent Are so Sure: The Dunning-Kruger Effect  (Read 670 times)

Offline thundley4

snot   (1000+ posts)           Thu May-13-10 10:30 AM
Original message
Why the Incompetent Are so Sure: The Dunning-Kruger Effect

"Have you ever noticed how incompetent people are often incredibly confident? Meanwhile, highly-skilled folks underestimate their ability to perform. That's called the Dunning-Kruger Effect named for Justin Kruger and David Dunning of Cornell University who published their study of the cognitive bias in a 1999 scientific paper. ABC Radio National's The Science Show recently explored the Dunning-Kruger Effect. According to the scientists, 'Overestimation occurs, in part, because people who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it.'"

More at http://www.boingboing.net/2010/05/12/confident-dumb-peo... .
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8327875

I'm just going to bring the whole short thread over.

Warpy   (1000+ posts)             Thu May-13-10 10:36 AM
Response to Original message
1. The unfortunate thing is that so many people see that boundless

Edited on Thu May-13-10 10:37 AM by Warpy
optimism and utter self confidence as evidence of leadership qualities and follow them blindly, not realizing they're both borne of utter stupidity. We find those people to be energizing to be around unless we've got enough upstairs to recognize there's nothing behind it.

ShortnFiery   (1000+ posts)             Thu May-13-10 10:42 AM
2. Nice to know the proper term for this phenomena. :-)

The Dunning-Kruger Effect.

I enjoyed the opportunity to sit on a jury a few years back. Another woman in our group claimed that she had just completed a Neuro-linguistic Programming Class and, as a consequence, she could easily discern when a witness was lying based on their "non-verbals." I didn't bother to comment but laughed to myself. I had just orally defended my thesis in the area of physiological psychology (hemispheric specialization). Yes, the other jury member's confidence in this controversial area of psychological study is a prime example of the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Since that interesting experience, I often quip, "Nobody knows more about the field of Psychology than someone who has taken one community college course. Just ask them? They know EVERYTHING."   

LibDemAlways   (1000+ posts)             Thu May-13-10 10:53 AM
3. My husband is one of those highly skilled people who

underestimates his abilities. He's looking for a job and it's been a killer. His first instinct is to tell an interviewer, "I've never done that" or "I don't have much experience with that." No wonder he never gets a second interview. Meantime the incompetent doofus is no doubt confidently touting abilities he doesn't have, and getting a foot in the door.

Confusious (1000+ posts)             Thu May-13-10 10:55 AM
4. First post at the site

Wasn't it Confucius who said something like. "Real knowledge is to recognize the extent of one's ignorance"?

Why, yes I did!

But no, I didn't, and I have seen more of these people then I care to admit.

FBI_Un_Sub (74 posts)           Thu May-13-10 11:00 AM
5. Rampant in "Management" and "Financial Services" Type -- N/T

rudy23   (1000+ posts)           Thu May-13-10 11:43 AM
6. Another problem--humans are wired to follow confidence. We're wired to follow idiots off a cliff

We're also wired to mock the intelligent as we do it.
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

glitch (1000+ posts)           Thu May-13-10 12:11 PM
Response to Reply #6
9. Positive feedback loop to extinction. nt

femrap   (1000+ posts)             Thu May-13-10 11:46 AM
7. This should be K & R a zillion times....

What a relief! I wish I had read about this back in 1999/2000. I could have saved myself such enormous amounts of grief.

I feel as if a thousand pounds of odious burden has lifted from my shoulders.

Thank you for posting this.

I would like to add that 8 years of W really encouraged those suffering from this Effect. Also Talk Radio where opinion is now fact.

I have a name for it!!!! You have no idea how happy I am!!!

Bless you a thousand times!

MajorChode   (1000+ posts)             Thu May-13-10 11:49 AM
8. They should include a picture of Palin for effect

No, this is more appropriate.

They truly can't see that Lord Zero is incompetent in everything he does, but he is confident in his own abilities.

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
Re: Why the Incompetent Are so Sure: The Dunning-Kruger Effect
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
that should be a self portrait thread
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 02:41:01 PM »
'Overestimation occurs, in part, because DUmmies who are unskilled in these domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do DUmmies reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices, but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it.'"

FIXED

Explains most of the DUmp, Liberalism and Dear Leader.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
The DUmp effect on cognizant reality...

Find any and all possible excuses for being a failure and a loser.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 03:06:43 PM »
I hadn't known there was an actual name for this, though I have been aware of the phenomenon for many years.  I just always called it 'The illusion of competence.' 

I first encountered it and realized what it was as a teen-aged cadet in the Civil Air Patrol, watching an adult leader screw something up in an absolutely royal fashion (Got somebody killed, actually) while appearing to actually know what he was doing.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
In the next few years, it'll be renamed the Obama Effect.
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 03:45:39 PM »
In the next few years, it'll be renamed the Obama Effect.

That will be a modification of The Peter Principle, I bet.