Author Topic: why the primitives should be happy if McCain wins  (Read 902 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
why the primitives should be happy if McCain wins
« on: November 04, 2008, 06:13:58 AM »
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/386165_kristolonline04.html

Now, this more properly belongs in the election forum, but because the lurking primitives, being such silly narcissists, tend to ignore the vast wealth, the vast treasury of illumination and enlightenment, that exists in all the other forums here, I posted it in the DUmpster so the primitives would notice it.

Barack Obama will probably win the 2008 presidential election. If he does, we conservatives will greet the news with our usual resolute stoicism or cheerful fatalism. Being conservative means never being too surprised by disappointment.

But what if John McCain pulls off an upset?

So let me tell liberals why they should be cheerful if McCain happens to win.

1. It would be a victory for an underdog. Liberals are supposed to like underdogs. McCain is a lonely guy standing up against an unprecedentedly well-financed, superorganized, ExxonMobil-like Obama juggernaut. A McCain upset victory would be a classic liberal happy ending.

2. It would be a defeat for the establishment. Obama's most recent high-profile Republican endorser was D.C. insider Kenneth Duberstein. Liberals should be on the side of hard-working plumbers, not big-shot lobbyists -- oops, sorry, big-shot strategic advisers and consultants. And Duberstein said that Colin Powell's endorsement was "the Good Housekeeping seal of approval on Barack Obama." Doesn't that comment embody everything that liberals (and many conservatives, including me) find creepy about smug establishment back-scratching and gatekeeping in America?

3. It would be a victory for the future. With President Bush's approval rating at about 25 percent, a McCain triumph would mean Americans were making a judgment on two future alternatives, not merely voting on the basis of their resentment at the past performance of George W. Bush. It would mean voters were looking ahead, not back. Liberals should therefore welcome a McCain win as a triumph of hope over fear, of the future over the past.

4. It would be a victory for freedom. Obama supporter Leon Wieseltier of The New Republic writes that "tyrants and genocidaires would sleep less soundly during a McCain presidency." Liberals should be opposed to tyranny and genocide. Wieseltier also acknowledges that McCain "was splendidly right about the surge, which is not a small thing; and the grudging way Obama treats the reversal in Iraq, when he treats it at all, is disgraceful." The surge advanced not only our national security but the cause of freedom in the world. Liberals should be votaries of freedom.

5. A McCain victory would be good for liberalism. Look at recent history. Jimmy Carter and a Democratic Congress begat Ronald Reagan. Bill Clinton and a Democratic Congress produced Newt Gingrich. Who knows what would follow a President Obama and a Democratic Congress? Here's one possibility: President Sarah Palin.

So liberals shouldn't be too upset at the idea of McCain winning.

Yes indeed.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: why the primitives should be happy if McCain wins
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 07:02:18 AM »
McCain is a liberal.  That's been the down-side of a McCain win, that he'll continue doing what he's always done and stabbed conservatives in the back in favor of appeasing Dems/libs and the MSM.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 09:48:41 AM »
McCain is a liberal.  That's been the down-side of a McCain win, that he'll continue doing what he's always done and stabbed conservatives in the back in favor of appeasing Dems/libs and the MSM.

I would hope this has been an instructive episode that appeasement never works.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:22:07 AM »
I would hope this has been an instructive episode that appeasement never works.

John McCain has proven himself to be incapable of assimilating the point, but perhaps the members of the party still on their way up can learn from his bad example.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 10:42:07 AM »
John McCain has proven himself to be incapable of assimilating the point, but perhaps the members of the party still on their way up can learn from his bad example.

I hope that you are right DAT, but I think that we, as true conservatives (at least those of us who are), need to focus on building up the movement from the lowest levels.  We need to get involved, and get back to the basics.

Win or lose today, and I won't make a prediction, as I already did that back on "super Tuesday" when it became apparent that John McCain was going to be our candidate, I firmly believe that the only way that we will ever get anything that approximates the kind of candidate that we want, will be to grow our own from the grass-roots level.  There are many very good conservative politicians that are presently serving in various offices today that we need to encourage, develop, and move them forward beginning at the local party level.  It will require some involvement, and some work, but it is possible.

We must never allow either the media, or the RNC pick our candidates again, because of the "cronyism factor"........when that happens we always end up with the guy that it is "his turn" because of his office tenure, or party "leadership" support........i.e., a Bob Dole Redux"......

IMHO.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.