Author Topic: Why was Reagan not impeached for Iran Contra?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Why was Reagan not impeached for Iran Contra?
« on: March 27, 2016, 07:20:48 AM »
Star Member gabeana (1,805 posts) http://www.democraticunderground.com/10027717682

Why was Reagan not impeached for Iran Contra?

Dem's were in control of both houses
that is the problem with the establishment of the party, as George Carlin said it is a club we are not a part of and never will be
and Hillary for Dems like me see her as representing that club
just like the Bush cabal Oabma didn't even try to touch

:???:

Jackie Wilson Said (1,070 posts)
8. Impeached and jailed. But he wasnt because of that club you talk about, funny though the club disappeared when Bill got his blow job.

Sorry to be sensitive, I just saw someone who I know will never vote for Hillary saying they will put country and it's people over party.

But not enough to save them from Trump.

billhicks76 (4,068 posts)
75. Because All Faith In Our System Would've Vanished

Because Bush Sr was coordinating shipments of cocaine by the tonnage while locking up kids for decades over grams. That's the ******* truth. The lies would've unraveled all faith. And you can bet your ass Bill Clinton was allowing this through Arkansas and was Bush Sr's poodle.

Tony_FLADEM (2,729 posts)
2. Because Reagan went on television and confessed to trading arms for hostages but he did so in a way that was sort of disarming.

He said I still believe we didn't trade arms for hostages but the facts tell me otherwise.

Star Member sulphurdunn (6,421 posts)
57. Oliver North wore the uniform of The United States to testify before congress, raised his hand, swore to tell the truth and proceeded to lie through the gap in his teeth. He disgraced and shamed himself. Better men have been dishonorably discharged for less.

Star Member libtodeath (1,919 posts)
6. They knew what his mental capacity was and also knew and feared the BFEE behind the scenes.

of course. ALL the Presidents who were [R]s are idiots and mentally challanged while every [D] is a ****ing genius.

Star Member gabeana (1,805 posts)
11. Sorry don't know what BFEE means also I see your avatar and sickens me that the racist piece of shit Reagan defeated an honorable man Carter

:thatsright:

blm (96,042 posts)
7. The media was uncomfortable with it - they knew then he was showing signs of serious illness. Kerry was treated worse by the press for uncovering IranContra. And, IranContra was GHWBush's operation. I doubt Reagan knew even 10% of what was going on.

In fact, it was Bush's office who called Newsweek to force Robert Parry out of his job investigating IranContra. He was labeled a 'zealot'.

4nic8em (418 posts)
35. **This**

I was no fan of Ronald Reagan but during the Iran/Contra hearings with Oliver North and Admiral Poindexter (both Reagan fall guys) they had Reagan on the stand and answered "I don't remember" about sixty times...It was obvious by that time he was very clearly suffering from dementia (Alzheimer's). I actually felt sorry for him being questioned, his mental health was clearly impaired. FWIW this is why Nancy Reagan started to support STEM cell research (to the wailing and gnashing of teeth from GOP).

1939 (1,196 posts)
25. Iran-Contra Hearings

The Democrats on the investigating committee immunized Admiral Poindexter in order to get the goods on Reagan.

Poindexter then testified that it was all his fault that Iran-Contra happened and that he had made the key decision on his own.

There was a loud sound of air escaping from the balloon and the committee was pretty much over. No implication of Reagan and the confessed "guilty party" had been granted complete immunization.

In the end, the major conviction was Ollie North spending a government travelers check in a Rite Aid.

Have you ever wondered what a leftist history book would look like?

Star Member csziggy (19,697 posts)
42. Years ago I heard a NPR interview with Lawrence Walsh, the Independent Counsel

Who investigate Iran Contra. He said that when he interviewed Reagan he could tell that Reagan was failing mentally so there was really no point in prosecuting him. I think that interview was around 1997 when Walsh's book was released. Unfortunately I don't have a program that will play the format the old interview is in on the NPR web site - http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1039548

A discussion when Walsh died - at the age of 102 - mentions how angry Walsh was when Geogre H. W. Bush pardoned the Iran Contra active people - http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=291999738&m=292008416

Lochloosa (9,882 posts)
49. Because William Casey, the person that authorized the weapons for hostages...

had an emergency operation the day before he was to testify before the committee investigating Iran/Contra. During the operation, to remove a brain tumor, nerves were damaged that left him unable to speak.

Most likely, he was the "link" in the chain that led to Raygun.

I always wondered how the CIA could give you a brain tumor on such short notice.

:thatsright:

Thespian2 (2,459 posts)
74. In the nineties Dems did

not go after the thugs in RayGuns administration because:
1. They didn't even share one good, straight, solid backbone.
2. George H. W. Bush pardoned potential convicts.
3. Since Dems suck bucks from the same pig-skin wallets, as the Repugs, treading on the toes of the same mega-donors who supported the "wonderful work of the contras and the GodOffalParty would have cost them money.

And I am sure there were plenty of reasons to put RayGun in prison...Dems were afraid some of them could have to respond to charges to them. Remember also that RayGun thought he was still doing scenes from the B-Movies...often awakening from a nap during a cabinet meeting to slug down some Jelly beans and began acting as though he was doing a scene from a movies...

Best summed up by Never kick a fire-ant hill while standing on it...

Big Dog was guilty of vacuuming up large amounts of money...

:bird:

John Poet (1,707 posts)
84. Reagan DENIED KNOWING that the operation was going on, and Democrats had no real proof that he DID know.

In the statements referred to upthread, Reagan "accepted responsibility" for it because it came out of his administration, but he denied knowing about it before it was outed in the press.

Then Oliver North took the ultimate fall for it.

The truth is, the whole damned operation was being directed out of Vice President Bush's office, but he claimed to be "out of the loop" and the press didn't do enough digging. (This still is never discussed in the mainstream press.)
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Mr Mannn

Re: Why was Reagan not impeached for Iran Contra?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 08:05:15 AM »
Little Brownshirts filled with hate. Even in victory they are consumed with hate.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 08:41:59 AM »
Wow! Talk about "dog-whistles"! Sound the Iran-Contra dog-whistle and all the conspiracy-theory bile comes gushing out!

Reagan served his full 8 years and died honored and in peace. Savor it, bitter Progs!

G. H. W. Bush served his full 4 years and will die honored and in peace. Savor it, bitter Progs!

G. W. Bush served his full 8 years and will die honored and in peace. Savor it, bitter Progs!

Carter served his full 4 years and will die in peace, having made himself an object of derision. Savor it, bitter Progs!

Clinton served his full 8 years and will die in peace (assuming The CHILL doesn't totally lose it after catching him with a chubby intern) having made himself an object of derision. Savor it, bitter Progs!

Obama will have served his full 8 years having made himself an object of derision through his utter ineptitude, racism, self-indulgence at taxpayer expense, and MOO-chelle's diet-and-fitness hypocrisy. Savor it, bitter Progs!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 12:09:19 PM »
Obama will have served his full 8 years having made himself an object of derision through his utter ineptitude, racism, self-indulgence at taxpayer expense, and MOO-chelle's diet-and-fitness hypocrisy. Savor it, bitter Progs!
Not just self- indulgence at taxpayer expense, but self- indulgence at taxpayer expense all the while regularly giving sanctimonious speeches about how regular Americans need to start "Making a few sacrifices" in their personal lives during our country's hard economic times.

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 04:35:25 PM »
Not just self- indulgence at taxpayer expense, but self- indulgence at taxpayer expense all the while regularly giving sanctimonious speeches about how regular Americans need to start "Making a few sacrifices" in their personal lives during our country's hard economic times.

C'mon Movie Buff. Just shut up and eat your peas. You'll feel better.

:lol:
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 04:52:27 PM »
C'mon Movie Buff. Just shut up and eat your peas. You'll feel better.

:lol:

And turn your winter thermostat down to 66, and your summer thermostat up to 78. No more keeping it at 72 year 'round!

(I know what's coming, but I'll let you say it)
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »
And turn your winter thermostat down to 66, and your summer thermostat up to 78. No more keeping it at 72 year 'round!

(I know what's coming, but I'll let you say it)

Slow down to 55 while you enjoy that 22% interest rate too...:)
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 05:39:19 PM »

That was in Carter's Paradise. My 72-degree set thermostat crack was an allusion to some Obamian stupidity.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 06:25:46 PM »
 :beathorse:

Suck it, assholes.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 07:00:24 AM »
Star Member sulphurdunn (6,421 posts)
57. Oliver North wore the uniform of The United States to testify before congress, raised his hand, swore to tell the truth and proceeded to lie through the gap in his teeth. He disgraced and shamed himself. Better men have been dishonorably discharged for less.
I remember watching some of those hearings. What I remember most was Ollie North making the dems look stupid while he testified.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 10:53:11 AM »
Odd even day gas lines.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SVPete

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 10:59:26 AM »
Odd even day gas lines.

Your and PGR's reminiscences will have DU-members flocking over here out of nostalgia for their good old days!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 11:01:39 AM »
Your and PGR's reminiscences will have DU-members flocking over here out of nostalgia for their good old days!
Billy Dee Williams Returns as Colt 45 Spokesman in New TV Ads

What decade is it? :panic:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.