Author Topic: Why the Left Isn’t Talking About Rural American Poverty  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Why the Left Isn’t Talking About Rural American Poverty
« on: October 26, 2015, 09:59:20 PM »
The poverty is in Fly Over Country. Right? Coming from a group that looks down on rural people.

Why the Left Isn’t Talking About Rural American Poverty
http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=7284008

KamaAina (67,322 posts)

Why the Left Isn’t Talking About Rural American Poverty [View all]
http://inthesetimes.com/rural-america/entry/18526/why-the-left-isnt-talking-about-rural-american-poverty

Within the popular American conscience—arguably a close reflection of the mainstream media—there are two favored focal points for discussing the problem of poverty. The first is within the urban, inner city context—often conflated with black poverty—which has held a critical role in American political and cultural discourse throughout most of the past century. The second is the poverty of the Global South: Sub-Saharan Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the rest of the developing world.

What seldom gets talked about—and when it is, often with irreverent humor and contempt—is the poverty of rural America, particularly rural white America: Appalachia, the Ozarks, the Mississippi Delta, the Dakotas, the Rio Grande Valley, the Cotton Belt.

If you spend time among coastal liberals, it’s not unusual to hear denigrating remarks made about poor “middle Americans” slip out of mouths that are otherwise forthcoming about the injustices of poverty and inequality....

American disinterest in the poverty of its own pastoral lands can be traced across the Atlantic Ocean and back several hundred years to the origins of social sciences in academia. The rise of these disciplines coincided with the Industrial Revolution and the mass migration of peasants from the country into cities. As an effect of these circumstances, the leading theorists of the era—Karl Marx, Emile Durkheim and Max Weber—were primarily concerned with living conditions in cities and industrializing societies, setting the foundation for the metro-centrism that continues to characterize the social sciences.

SharonAnn (10,175 posts)
51. Around here (Appalachia), the rural poor are right-wing Republicans. Odd, but true.
Now, I see why you do not care for them.  :mental:

Erich Bloodaxe BSN (12,025 posts)
2. You barely hear politicians on the left talk about poverty at all.

Especially since it's been on the rise during the current administration.
Let's see. They are redistributing and yet poverty continues to rise.

msongs (37,465 posts)
11. keep voting for republicans nad nothing much will change nt
Nothing has changed under the Democrats.

Comrade Grumpy (12,949 posts)
19. Poverty, schmoverty. They have white privilege.

Right?
Huh?????????????  :???: :wtf2:

jwirr (34,424 posts)
26. Right! The only white privilege a poor white family has is that

they cannot be seen as easily as the poc.
In sheer numbers, Whites make up the most in poverty.

loyalsister (8,702 posts)
28. Owning houses via generational transfer is a privilege that has been largely reserved

for white people who live, poor as they may be, in areas where people of color most often wisely avoid in MO. A surprising number of disabled and poor people I know live in such houses.
What is the problem with that?

JI7 (53,323 posts)
66. Why are they more likely to support Hillary Clinton than Bernie Sanders
So says the BernieBot.  :mental:
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline jtyangel

Re: Why the Left Isn’t Talking About Rural American Poverty
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 10:36:52 PM »
Nothing like this idiots proving the point of the disdain of particularly the left for rural white america. Dumbasses one and all.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 05:40:27 AM »
Response to KamaAina (Original post)

Fri Oct 23, 2015, 10:04 PM

AZ Progressive (1,920 posts)
17. The rural poor are one of America's cursed groups

Especially the rednecks. They are too stupid to vote for their own interests, they back the Republicans at their own peril. Then again, the Republicans seem to be the only ones that care to appeal to them. I would have to say that liberals have done a poor job to reach out to rural people.

I would say LBJ was the last president that actually cared about helping them.

No shit. :lmao:

Listen you useless piece of puddle slime,you helpless fools can`t even breathe or feed yourselves without demanding government assistance.
I would happily watch you starve trying to fend for yourself.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 06:32:37 AM »
msongs (37,465 posts)

Keep voting against my best interests, dipshit.

msongs (37,465 posts)

'scuse me?  How are those decreased health insurance premiums working out for ya?  Did you like your $2500 dollar savings, asswipe?

No shit. :lmao:

Listen you useless piece of puddle slime,you helpless fools can`t even breathe or feed yourselves without demanding government assistance.
I would happily watch you starve trying to fend for yourself.

I'd pay to watch.   :-)

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 07:42:37 AM »
Quote from:
AZ Progressive

The rural poor are one of America's cursed groups

Especially the rednecks. They are too stupid to vote for their own interests, they back the Republicans at their own peril.

Black people vote 90% for Dems but yet they're still poor and living in poverty and high crime areas. Talk about "peril." So if you're looking to make the claim that rednecks voting Dem would be better off, your track record says otherwise.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:20:11 AM »

Do these people even pay attention to what they type?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 08:23:57 AM »
loyalsister (8,702 posts)
28. Owning houses via generational transfer is a privilege that has been largely reserved

for white people ...

In what paranoid fantasy world does ls live? No law forbids "generational transfer" (more commonly known as inheritance) by "poc", and no law has forbidden home ownership by "poc" (race clauses among some properties' CC & Rs became unenforceable 50 or 60 or more years ago). And inheritance is not a "privilege" it's a right called ownership, shared by all people in the US.

But to answer the thread title question, too many among the rural poor are "white", and they (all "colors") are too dispersed to make up a large geography-based voting bloc.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 08:46:22 AM »
Black people vote 90% for Dems but yet they're still poor and living in poverty and high crime areas. Talk about "peril." So if you're looking to make the claim that rednecks voting Dem would be better off, your track record says otherwise.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »

Funny, but I don't hear much about those stupid rednecks offing each other the way their fellow impoverished counterparts in the inner city ghettos keep killing their bruthas and sistas.
WHO are the stupid people again?
Besides the DUmmies like Commie Anna.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 12:21:17 PM »
Yet somehow the murder, violent crime, rape, and theft is one tenth what it is in the black"community."  Kind of tells me that the problem is not one of economics but is a black problem.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Fourwinds

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »
The SharonAnn comment about Appalachian people being right wingers made me laugh. They are in such deep denial. The Democrat Part is the true party of the rich. I can't count how many corporations have liberal CEOs directing them. Add to that the fact Hollywood is almost overwhelmingly leftist. The insane amount of funding we see every presidential election on the side of the left isn't from the nickels and dimes these knuckleheads say they donate. It comes from people like Gates, Zuckerberg, Soros and the like.

Offline Boudicca

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 01:11:54 PM »
Yet somehow the murder, violent crime, rape, and theft is one tenth what it is in the black"community."  Kind of tells me that the problem is not one of economics but is a black problem.

Rednecks get raised right.  My dad was always proud to be one of the Appalachian folk, and yeah, he grew up dirt poor.  Somehow managed to not burn down the neighborhood or get arrested for any drugs, violence or theft.
But what did daddy know?  He was just a stupid redneck who wouldn't have known how to deal with those intellectual types on DU.

Except, he would have beaten the shit out of any one of them one of his daughters brought home.  We were raised with something the Left lacks:  STANDARDS and ETHICS.
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Patriot Guard Rider

• Yes, really. Liberals DO disgust me.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
Because, Liberals believe the United States consists of Washington DC (Extended out to the Ohio/Indiana line and down to the Tennessee/Georgia line), New York consisting of everything left east of the Mississippi and California comprising everything else west of the Mississippi.

Flyover country doesn't exist to them, why should they worry about poverty there?
Liberals disgust me. (Now I don't have to remember to put it on each post).

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 07:12:23 PM »
DUmmies make me laugh.

The article referenced clearly states that the left look down their noses at the rural poor at their own peril, yet half the responses in that thread are doing just that. A few seem to realize the problem is genuine, yet still jump to the wrong conclusion.   :rofl:

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 06:47:44 AM »
Nothing like this idiots proving the point of the disdain of particularly the left for rural white america. Dumbasses one and all.

Rural America is that bunch of "bitter clingers" Obama referred to when he first ran in 2008.  The left despises them.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline SVPete

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 11:17:05 AM »
Rural America is that bunch of "bitter clingers" Obama referred to when he first ran in 2008.  The left despises them.

Rural America feeds and clothes these contemptible @#$%^@#$%@#$%. I wish Progs like these had the ideological consistency to refuse to eat food and refuse to wear clothing made of fibers raised by the "rednecks" they contemn!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 11:35:11 AM »
Rural America feeds and clothes these contemptible @#$%^@#$%@#$%. I wish Progs like these had the ideological consistency to refuse to eat food and refuse to wear clothing made of fibers raised by the "rednecks" they contemn!

Is contemn a synonym for condemn?

Because only the left goes searching for that which is not there in a desperate attempt to be offended about something.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Many people do not see evil until the gas is flowing into the chamber. That is why they get on the trains in the first place.

Offline hillneck

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 12:41:27 PM »
SharonAnn (10,175 posts)
51. Around here (Appalachia), the rural poor are right-wing Republicans.

SharonAnn, you stupid b**ch, maybe if PrezBO and his EPA wasn't so deadly to the timber & coal industry, maybe some of those poor Appalachia people would have more spending money or jobs.  People back home just want to work and support their families and be left alone from the government.    :banghead:
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline freedumb2003b

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 01:18:51 PM »
SharonAnn, you stupid b**ch, maybe if PrezBO and his EPA wasn't so deadly to the timber & coal industry, maybe some of those poor Appalachia people would have more spending money or jobs.  People back home just want to work and support their families and be left alone from the government.    :banghead:

SharonAnn, you ignorant slut!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 02:14:20 PM »
To view or treat with contempt

I try to learn one new word a day. I done learned one.  :cheersmate: