Author Topic: Remember When...  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Remember When...
« on: September 15, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

Re: Remember When...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 11:07:51 PM »

ChevyMall.com

:-)

I think we had one of those when I was a kid. I'd have to see if it had a long chrome hood ornament sort of like a stylized jet or something.

ETA, nope.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:16:45 PM »
SEXIST!!!!!!!!111

How come no one makes cool cars like that anymore?
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:53:20 PM »
SEXIST!!!!!!!!111
:tongue:

Must be hell finding replacement tail light covers for.  They only made that style for two years.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:03:13 AM »
Had a 57 and 59 Chevy - but not like this one, after adding a 58 into the mix - hope it hasn't been posted before..............but in my opinion worth the look :bow:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:05:46 AM by rustybayonet »
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:37:45 PM »

ChevyMall.com

:-)

[Barf]

Number 3 on my list of the ugliest Chevrolets ever built........and unless you have ridden in the back seat on a hot day (which I have), you don't know the definition of "roasted alive".......(the rear glass extended over your head)

doc.....
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »
I think the ugliness makes it unique.  I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 1958 Edsel if someone offered it to me... I think they look good in an odd kind of way.  As for the enormous greenhouse... well, they can't all be perfect.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 12:57:54 PM »
I think the ugliness makes it unique.  I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 1958 Edsel if someone offered it to me... I think they look good in an odd kind of way.  As for the enormous greenhouse... well, they can't all be perfect.

Perhaps......however, I actually think that the Edsel was decently styled (even though it was a knockoff of the standard 57, 58, 59 Ford sheet metal).

As something of an insider, and a member in good standing of the Harley Earl school of automotive styling........(that is back when there actually WAS such a thing as automotive styling), I'm pretty picky.

BTW, your "Z" car, IMO is the ONLY decently styled vehicle to ever come out of Japan (the deep dark secret being that the styling on the original Z-car was actually done in Italy)  I euphemistically refer to the Japanese (and Koreans) as the "pagoda school of styling"......barf again.......

doc

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »
The original Z was designed by Albrecht Goertz.  The second-generation was probably done in-house by Datsun.
http://ateupwithmotor.com/sports-cars-and-muscle-cars/179-datsun-z-car.html

I'm not big on pastels and neons, but the Edsel does look good in dark colors like this one in maroon and black.
http://ateupwithmotor.com/family-cars/234-edsel-history.html?start=2

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 01:10:02 PM »
Of the cars in that era.......this is one of my favorites, from a uniqueness perspective......

doc

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »
Acres of sheetmetal and chrome. The Continental kit easily adds another foot and a half to the car's length. :-)

My aunt had the '58 Ford Fairlane.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 01:17:45 PM by chris_ »

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
Was it one of the old Mercurys that had a power rear window?

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 01:22:43 PM »
The original Z was designed by Albrecht Goertz.  The second-generation was probably done in-house by Datsun.
http://ateupwithmotor.com/sports-cars-and-muscle-cars/179-datsun-z-car.html

I'm not big on pastels and neons, but the Edsel does look good in dark colors like this one in maroon and black.
http://ateupwithmotor.com/family-cars/234-edsel-history.html?start=2

Although Goertz got credit for it, the prototype work was done by Enzo Marletti.......an obsure designer that got fired from Maserati, and opened his own studio for a few years (he also did some work for Lotus)........was killed shortly afterward in an auto accident.....interesting enough in a Maserati.....

Agreed on the later cars, however they remained fairly close to the original concept, which accounted for their success.  Despite its manufactuing flaws, it was an elegant design for the time, and where it came from.

doc

Confucius

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 01:25:55 PM »
Was it one of the old Mercurys that had a power rear window?

Correct.......'57 "Turnpike Cruiser"......

doc

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »
Although Goertz got credit for it, the prototype work was done by Enzo Marletti.......an obsure designer that got fired from Maserati, and opened his own studio for a few years (he also did some work for Lotus)........was killed shortly afterward in an auto accident.....interesting enough in a Maserati.....

doc

If you have an attributable source, I bet Aaron Severson at AUWM would love to hear from you.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 01:29:54 PM »
Correct.......'57 "Turnpike Cruiser"......

doc

A friend of mine use to borrow his grandparents for road trips now and then.  All I could remember was that it was an old Mercury, and the rear window went down.  It was handy for throwing beer cans out the back.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
Yesterday when I was talking to my mom she was telling me about her stepdad that my grandma was married to for only a year. They had bought a brand new 1957 Chevy. The guy just died and that is what brought it up. Anyway, he was a drunk and a lazy ass. When they got a divorce he took the car and stopped paying for it. It was in my grandma's name so the dealer repossessed the car and gave it back to my grandma and she continued to pay the monthly payment.

She also told me about a story when her dad was shot in the town square on a sunday afternoon because he was dating this one mans ex-wife. He threatened to kill him and he tried (he didn't die but was in the hospital for a few days). I swear my mom could write a book.

Here is the color and make of the car.

Later my mom took that car, before she was old enough to drive and had a wreck. The passenger in the car (my mom's friend) was hurt really badly. Also someone in the other car died, it was the other persons fault, he was drunk too, my mom has been haunted by the whole ordeal her whole life.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 01:44:34 PM »
If you have an attributable source, I bet Aaron Severson at AUWM would love to hear from you.

I may have, I'll look.......what is "AUWM"?

This would be my all-time favorite for the era.......

.....minus the fender rock shields and bumper guards of course.......

doc

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »
I may have, I'll look.......what is "AUWM"?

Ate Up With Motor ---> http://ateupwithmotor.com/

Offline Doc

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic transit gloria mundi
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 02:02:16 PM »
This is the first car that I ever owned......

Without the color (mine was dark blue), headlight eyebrows, bumper guards, full wheel covers, and rock shields......

I installed a 1957 Buick V-8 (with dual WCFB 4-barrel carbs, Isky roller cam, and polished and ported heads), a Cadillac/LaSalle transmission, 55 Chev. rear axle, and 55 Oldsmobile brakes (all four wheels)........however the exterior remained completely stock.  With a 3.08 rear axle ratio, it was capable of over 150 mph.

What we used to refer to as "a sleeper"........ :-)

doc
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:24:05 PM by TVDOC »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 03:44:24 PM »
This is the first car that I ever owned......

Without the color (mine was dark blue), headlight eyebrows, bumper guards, full wheel covers, and rock shields......

I installed a 1957 Buick V-8 (with dual WCFB 4-barrel carbs, Isky roller cam, and polished and ported heads), a Cadillac/LaSalle transmission, 55 Chev. rear axle, and 55 Oldsmobile brakes (all four wheels)........however the exterior remained completely stock.  With a 3.08 rear axle ratio, it was capable of over 150 mph.

What we used to refer to as "a sleeper"........ :-)

doc

Wow, you are OLD!

:p

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 09:22:05 PM »
Wow, you are OLD!

:p

You're just noticing that??
 :tongue:

doc

Confucius

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 10:09:53 PM »

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:50 AM »
Can't believe I found this.  A picture of the same car my grandfather owned, and as a kid, the one I learned to drive with.  Same color and everything - 1949 Desoto

yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 04:40:58 PM »
My oldest brother has one of these in a dark metallic red and black mohair interior. Spoked rims amd wide whitewalls.

This was his car in High school. A 1957 Ford Fairlane. He reoained it all over dark olive green metallic. When he came home from Vietnam he went out and bought a 1969 Olds 442. Brown metallic

My Brother Dennis though got the classic 1977 Pontiac Trans Am in Black and Gold after he finnished flight school in the Navy.

And the only one I have had that remotely comes close to any of this is this. A 1992 Camaro RS 25th Anniversary in Red with black stripes.

MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"