Author Topic: Very disturbing, but unfortunately not shocking, poll  (Read 1313 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Very disturbing, but unfortunately not shocking, poll
« on: September 20, 2008, 09:30:02 AM »
demokatgurrl  (1000+ posts)     Sat Sep-20-08 07:28 AM
Original message
Very disturbing, but unfortunately not shocking, poll
 Advertisements [?]This just ****ing kills me. If even possible, I apologize on behalf of the idiots among my fellow white folks. I'm sorry to hear that they are not all repugs.

http://news.yahoo.com/page/election-2008-political-puls...

Poll: Racial views steer some white Dems away from Obama

WASHINGTON (AP) — Deep-seated racial misgivings could cost Barack Obama the White House if the election is close, according to an AP-Yahoo News poll that found one-third of white Democrats harbor negative views toward blacks — many calling them "lazy," "violent," responsible for their own troubles.

The poll, conducted with Stanford University, suggests that the percentage of voters who may turn away from Obama because of his race could easily be larger than the final difference between the candidates in 2004 — about two and one-half percentage points.

...Lots of Republicans harbor prejudices, too, but the survey found they weren't voting against Obama because of his race. Most Republicans wouldn't vote for any Democrat for president — white, black or brown...

....Among white Democrats, Clinton supporters were nearly twice as likely as Obama backers to say at least one negative adjective described blacks well, a finding that suggests many of her supporters in the primaries — particularly whites with high school education or less — were motivated in part by racial attitudes. ....
searchingforlight  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-20-08 08:54 AM
Response to Reply #1
19. Unfortunately, this is "THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM"
 If Obama were white and had a name like James or Ben this race would be a runaway for the Democrats. It is sad to see that there are quite a few who will allow their prejudices to vote against their interests. 
Blarch (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-20-08 08:09 AM
Response to Original message
12. We always knew Hillary was pulling the...
 uneducated racist vote. And I never expected these racists to vote for Obama. Not shocking at all.
graywarrior  (1000+ posts)       Sat Sep-20-08 09:31 AM
23. This problem wakes me up every morning at 4 am and I lay there
 obsessiong about it over and over. If anything will lose the election for Obama, it will be racism. It is all over New Hampshire.
seabeyond  (1000+ posts)       Sat Sep-20-08 09:40 AM
26. we knew hiring a black, there would be racism. hiring a female there would be sexism 
 always has and always will. but we were willing to take the loss for a black or female to break the ceiling.

think of all the people that will still step up and vote even though they are racist. and they will because they know how important this election is. it is going ot help that much in settling racism. this is a lesson for all of us. a good thing. what the nation needs.

and media is going ot use this like they were using white women and married woman against obama

please dont feed it
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x7126967#7126972

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
Re: Very disturbing, but unfortunately not shocking, poll
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »
graywarrior  (1000+ posts)       Sat Sep-20-08 09:31 AM
23. This problem wakes me up every morning at 4 am and I lay there
 obsessiong about it over and over.
If anything will lose the election for Obama, it will be racism. It is all over New Hampshire.

Get. A. Fracking. Life.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:38:17 AM »
My question is if you asked blacks the same exact questions about whites and their answers were similar would they be called racists and bigots? You see, I have just a big a problem with double standards as I have with racism because double standards help to propagate racism.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:38:41 AM »
searchingforlight  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-20-08 08:54 AM
Response to Reply #1
 If Obama were white and had a name like James or Ben this race would be a runaway for the Democrats. It is sad to see that there are quite a few who will allow their prejudices to vote against their interests.

Right, because 89% of the country blew their wad for Walter Mondale and John Kerry.  

How long do you have to be held underwater to suffer this much brain damage?   ::)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:39:02 AM »
The Dem party doesn't see people as just "people," they see humans and divide them into race, gender, class, sexual orientation, educational levels, etc...  Am I to be surprised that voters from a party that would attract that type of mindset would cast their ballots along those lines?

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 09:40:09 AM »
The Dem party doesn't see people as just "people," they see humans and divide them into race, gender, class, sexual orientation, educational levels, etc...  Am I to be surprised that voters from a party that would attract that type of mindset would cast their ballots along those lines?

They don't see people, they see assets to exploit.  And they wonder why it rarely works. 

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:46:19 AM »
They don't see people, they see assets to exploit.  And they wonder why it rarely works. 

Correct-a-mundo.  And worded much more briefly and precise than I did.

:thumbs:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline jukin

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »
searchingforlight  (1000+ posts)      Sat Sep-20-08 08:54 AM
Response to Reply #1
 If Obama were white and had a name like James or Ben he would have never gotten onto the state senate much less the United States Senate.  It is sad to see that there are quite a few who will allow their guilt to vote against much more qualified candidates.

FIXORD!!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:49:00 AM »

Correct-a-mundo.  And worded much more briefly and precise than I did.

:thumbs:

:greet:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
I've know all along that it wouldn't be racists in the Republican Party, (yes there are some in every party), but it would be the racists independents and Democrats that will give Palin/McCain a bigger margin.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »
My question is if you asked blacks the same exact questions about whites and their answers were similar would they be called racists and bigots? You see, I have just a big a problem with double standards as I have with racism because double standards help to propagate racism.

What if instead the Republican candidate were black and 89% of the black population still voted dem?
Would that make them racists?