Author Topic: This is your Friday thread.  (Read 2925 times)

Offline jendf

This is your Friday thread.
« on: January 18, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
Good morning, CCers!

It's a chilly 36 degrees right now in Phoenix. I know that's balmy to those of you in the rest of the country but here in the desert, that's considered a cold spell.

I had my usual Pay Day treat this morning --a slice of Starbucks Lemon Pound Cake. Yum. Now I'm sipping my Folger's coffee and trying to will myself to do some work. It's going to be tough. Small staff today. Boss is on vacation. Won't have anyone breathing down my neck. I'm going to have to motivate myself!

TOTD: Tell me one exciting thing you plan to do this weekend.

Me? I'm going to Prescott. I'll hike, do some antiquing, and eat some great Mexican food at this little hole-in-the-wall restaurant.

Offline jendf

Re: This is your Friday thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »
Hey! That was my 100th post. Self-wootage! :bday:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 08:29:03 AM »
OH man, Jen...I love Prescott...beautiful! Enjoy yourself! Husband and I used to drive up there on a whim and just enjoy looking around.

It was 38 here yesterday and no, it's not balmy. I'm not going to say anything--that is cold. I can't get used to this cold weather.

Today I have to study for a test, but hope to get some organizing done in the house.

TOTD: We are thinking of doing something that will sound lame, but with the frozen tundra and no place to go we are thinking of renting a room out in the hotel down the street that has an indoor pool and taking the kids down there to play in the pool all day. The pool should be abandoned this time of year, the hotel too so we should have it mostly to ourselves that's the reason for doing that instead of the Y or something. We'll rent some movies at night and veg out in the room after the kids konk out.

Offline jendf

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 08:30:21 AM »
TOTD: We are thinking of doing something that will sound lame, but with the frozen tundra and no place to go we are thinking of renting a room out in the hotel down the street that has an indoor pool and taking the kids down there to play in the pool all day. The pool should be abandoned this time of year, the hotel too so we should have it mostly to ourselves that's the reason for doing that instead of the Y or something. We'll rent some movies at night and veg out in the room after the kids konk out.

That sounds like a great idea! Have fun!

Offline lastparker

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 08:32:07 AM »
I'm babysitting the two MONSTER kids of very good friends....how they've raised such beasts is beyond me..... One steals, and one is totally destructive.  Most kids behave better in other's homes than their own, but not this kid.  He thinks he's free to jump on beds, climb banisters, whatever.  So it COULD be exciting, if he finally injures himself and we have to call 911.
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline Flame

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »
Another snow day here, so I have all three kids home.  Yep, fun times ahead.

I might do some baking today, and let the kid do the running up and down the stairs to switch he laundry.

TOTD: No big plans for the weekend...I lead such and exciting life!

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 08:34:28 AM »
the hotel idea is great!!! My son loves to go on road trips precisely for that reason lol!

TOTD: husband is coming home from work trip. We'll probably hole up and watch DVD's. It's snowing and I really don't want to do anything outside.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »
Cold as HELL here today and worse to come.  Windchills at night here expected to be in the 25-28 below zero range.

TOTD

Absolute dullsville here this weekend. Seriously.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline HACKSAW

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2008, 09:04:08 AM »
OK... let's see. Today is essentially my Monday. Tonight I'll be working the at the Main Gate which means with temps in the teens, I'll be freezing my patokies off!

The gate-shack isn't all that great but it does have a heater and a fairly decent coffee pot. As long as the wind isn't blowing, it should be an ok night!
Liberals are like Slinkies...

Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 09:05:47 AM »
the hotel idea is great!!! My son loves to go on road trips precisely for that reason lol!

TOTD: husband is coming home from work trip. We'll probably hole up and watch DVD's. It's snowing and I really don't want to do anything outside.

Almost a necessity in the dead of winter. Our kids love swimming and we usually join our local pool in the summer time. This is always a nice little break for them during the winter time.

Offline Flame

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 09:19:11 AM »
talking about swimming, and I was just looking through pictures....such a difference between there and here!

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:31:00 AM »
Not much going on here.  My Mother's in the hospital having her 2nd knee replacement surgery.  She had it done Wednesday.  I can't go see her because I've had a bad chest cold since Tuesday.  Yuck.  Anyway, I've been calling her and teasing her (fun since she's really doped up!) telling her I'm gonna take her dancing. 

TOTD: Since I feel like crap and they're calling for 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow, I'll most likely vegetate on the couch with some DVD's.  If I can I'd like to make some snow cream.  Yummy!  We'll see.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 09:57:52 AM »
After being SO busy all week long, I am staying home today, and I should be doing my routine, weekly house cleaning, but I haven't done a thing  :-)

TOTD: I might take the kids out tomorrow for a bit, while hubby is busy with his side business work. We are supposed to get more snow this weekend, yippeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 10:09:50 AM »
talking about swimming, and I was just looking through pictures....such a difference between there and here!

Sigh, I hear you...'there' was my home when I was a teenager..I miss it!

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 10:51:40 AM »
My kids have today and Monday off.  I might take my youngest to a movie today.  I have a quilt on my quilting machine ready to go but I need motivation to get up there and do it.  At the moment I am doing laundry.

TOTD:  Might go see The Reverend Horton Heat with some friends of ours but I don't know if I want to go.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 11:12:12 AM »
TOTD: Tell me one exciting thing you plan to do this weekend.

Shoveling snow.  Cleaning house.  Doing laundry.  Bathing the cat.

Wait--that last one is worse than exciting.

If I have time I'll go play some poker at Seabrook.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2008, 11:12:40 AM »
TOTD:  Funeral Saturday morning, then a fund-raiser dinner/concert Sat. evening for our county Sherriff.

Temps Sat. are not predicted to go above freezing.  I am ready for summer.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DaSaintFan

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2008, 11:35:20 AM »
TOTD:    Gonna cook up some chili for Sunday.. .and then going over to my boss's place and laugh as his G-men go down in defeat!!!

Offline Lauri

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 02:42:48 PM »
snow still on the ground, but roads are clear... so thats good.

TOTD: I may have already had my big moment of the week/weekend. i went to school with my 8 year old today to watch her do her presentation on...

CHEEZ WHIZ....!

yes, that's my kid.  :-)

Offline Lauri

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 02:45:53 PM »
Not much going on here.  My Mother's in the hospital having her 2nd knee replacement surgery.  She had it done Wednesday.  I can't go see her because I've had a bad chest cold since Tuesday.  Yuck.  Anyway, I've been calling her and teasing her (fun since she's really doped up!) telling her I'm gonna take her dancing. 

TOTD: Since I feel like crap and they're calling for 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow, I'll most likely vegetate on the couch with some DVD's.  If I can I'd like to make some snow cream.  Yummy!  We'll see.

we had a good friend just get a hip replacement (he's 41... old jet ski accident) and we do that kind of teasing with him.. i'll have to remember to use your line next time i see him.

and we're supposed to get snow here again this weekend. we may go find some hills to sled on..

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 04:45:58 PM »

we had a good friend just get a hip replacement (he's 41... old jet ski accident) and we do that kind of teasing with him.. i'll have to remember to use your line next time i see him.

and we're supposed to get snow here again this weekend. we may go find some hills to sled on..

tee hee ... kinda cruel huh!?!  Not as cruel as telling her that before we bury her we're gonna melt her down and make golf clubs (titanium) outa her!  I usually stand a good cane's length distance when I ask her how many clubs does she think her knees will produce!  Some times she laughs, some times I get this gesture  :bird: 

Our winter storm watch has been changed to warning.  Folks here are  beating themselves up trying to get to the grocery store for that mandatory gallon of milk, loaf of bread and dozen eggs.