Author Topic: Not a piano anymore  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Not a piano anymore
« on: October 25, 2009, 03:05:27 AM »
I saw a picture online a couple of years ago of a piano that someone had turned into a unique computer desk. I thought it was a neat idea and knew I could improve on it.
Last Monday, the 19th, I went to the next town and picked up an lovely old OLD upright for free.
Here are a few pictures of the initial destruction phase:

I decided to leave some keys on each end of the "Keyboard" I'll set the desktop level with the remaining keys, I glued the keys together and removed the pins they used to pivot on. The way this piano was built has been pretty neat to see, as I tear it apart. It was built long enough ago that there are no phillips head screws in it. The keys were much longer than I expected and not so much attached as held in place by friction against the keys next to them.
I didn't know the keys sat on little brass pins...
I bought two matching TV's one of which I use as my computer monitor. I am going to cut two holes in the front piece, (anyone know the proper term?) that used to lift up so you could see the hammer mechanism and wires, (Again, proper term anyone?) and mount the TVs from the inside, like a picture frame... My tower is going to go down below the keys where the pedals and their connecting rods used to be.
Piano wires, make LOUD noises when cut with a pair of dykes... The wires for the low notes are wrapped with copper wire and are too thick to cut with dykes so, snapping them with a claw hammer causes them to really slap against the harp and sounding board, making a satisfyingly loud and obnoxious noise. The wires for the high notes, when cut, will whip out so fast that you won't even feel it when they cut your hands...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Not a piano anymore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:09:46 AM »
Safety is the reason that one LOOSENS the wires BEFORE cutting them.....
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »
Safety is the reason that one LOOSENS the wires BEFORE cutting them.....
Bah, where is the fun in that?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:44:40 PM »
Neat! Can't wait to see the finished result.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 08:41:13 AM »
I saw a picture online a couple of years ago of a piano that someone had turned into a unique computer desk. I thought it was a neat idea and knew I could improve on it.
Last Monday, the 19th, I went to the next town and picked up an lovely old OLD upright for free.
Here are a few pictures of the initial destruction phase:

I decided to leave some keys on each end of the "Keyboard" I'll set the desktop level with the remaining keys, I glued the keys together and removed the pins they used to pivot on. The way this piano was built has been pretty neat to see, as I tear it apart. It was built long enough ago that there are no phillips head screws in it. The keys were much longer than I expected and not so much attached as held in place by friction against the keys next to them.
I didn't know the keys sat on little brass pins...
I bought two matching TV's one of which I use as my computer monitor. I am going to cut two holes in the front piece, (anyone know the proper term?) that used to lift up so you could see the hammer mechanism and wires, (Again, proper term anyone?) and mount the TVs from the inside, like a picture frame... My tower is going to go down below the keys where the pedals and their connecting rods used to be.
Piano wires, make LOUD noises when cut with a pair of dykes... The wires for the low notes are wrapped with copper wire and are too thick to cut with dykes so, snapping them with a claw hammer causes them to really slap against the harp and sounding board, making a satisfyingly loud and obnoxious noise. The wires for the high notes, when cut, will whip out so fast that you won't even feel it when they cut your hands...
That's a damn cool idea Don! I may have to do something like that as well. :cheersmate:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
You made me cry a little.

The A. B. Chase piano factory was established in 1875 by Alvin B. Chase and produced the highest grade pianos both in uprights and grands. The A. B. Chase pianos were also equipped with the Cello Reproducing Medium. The policy of this factory had long been that no material is too good a piano no skilled labor too expensive if it will improve the A. B. Chase piano. ll pianos manufactured from 1875 to 1922 were completely hand made from the finest materials available during that era. An A.B. Chase piano took as long as two years to complete. All A.B. Chase pianos are worthy of rebuilding. Pianos from the earlier time 1875 to 1922 are exceptional.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 12:36:39 PM »
You made me cry a little.
That made me laugh a little

I mounted two power strips inside the cabinet and cut a channel for each of their cords,(underneath the top lid) this will keep them easily accessible, and yet, out of sight and out of the way. I dismantled (destroyed) a headboard and cut down one of the boards to be the desktop surface, between the keys. I cut the keys off square so I wouldn't have to do any angled cuts for the desktop.
I mounted a USB hub underneath the keyboard cover, easily accessed and, again, out of sight. I had about a third of a sheet of ¼ in plywood so I started sheeting the back. Gotta buy more...
 Started sanding down the desktop piece, will take it down to 280grit or so, then stain.  Bought two surge protector/power strips, a sander, sandpaper, clips for running cabling (keep wires under control, may use some wire loom too...) total cash investment so far $50.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 12:16:54 AM »
Here are a few more pictures of my progress and some of the stuff I've removed:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 11:04:43 PM »
I finished it. The REALLY hard part was getting it into my room.  I ended up taking off the lid, which over hangs by an inch on each end and standing it on its side and sliding it down the hall on the carpet. Good thing we don't have hardwood floors...
I mounted the monitor and TV using plumber's tape. I closed the back with ¼ inch plywood. My stupid Microsoft (yes, I KNOW I should know better)mouse works fine, the stupid keyboard is an inch too deep for the Keyboard lid to close. Crap, now I have to buy a keyboard...
I'm very happy with the outcome. Since it was my dumb idea, I guess that is all that matters.