Author Topic: Backup/File Transfer Programs  (Read 3382 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Backup/File Transfer Programs
« on: January 12, 2012, 10:52:44 AM »
Thor is building me a new computer. (He's good at that sort of thing, besides that kind of activity keeps him off the streets and out of trouble.)

I've got the usual plethora of files, photos, and stuff on two hard drives in my current computer. One hard drive is essentially a backup drive, so I don't mess with it much.

I've got a boatload of reorganization to do before I get into doing any sort of file transfer, so what I want to know is, what's the latest software package that's out there that will transfer programs and files from the old computer to the new?

I just got an email offer from Nuance that talks about PCMover Professional for $40. Seems like it would probably do what I need to do, again once all the directory/folder reorganization is complete.

Lemme know your thoughts, please.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Backup/File Transfer Programs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:02:12 AM »
:shrug: I've never used an automated file transfer program.  Most files, bookmarks, media, and other stuff are in the Users (Vista/7) or Documents and Settings (XP) folders. 
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Maxiest

• Chief Interruptor Officer
  • IT Guru - Social Media Wizard - Recovery Advocate
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 11:11:50 AM »
There is no good program that will transfer "programs."  You will have to re-install these on your new computer, which will probably have a new OS.  Windows 7 I would assume.  You mentioned PCMover, and although I haven't used that specific program, I have found such software to rarely work as advertised.  I have been doing this for a long time.

Windows has a built in program that will transfer your files and settings.  I use it every time I upgrade a client or move them to a different computer.

If you have XP now, it will be under All Programs>Accessories>Systems Tools>Windows File and Settings Transfer Wizard

On the new computer if it is Windows 7, It is called Windows Easy Transfer.

This transfers all your files, wallpapers, and even some of your programs settings.  Such as Outlook or Internet explorer.
"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

"Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »
The old computer runs Win 7, 64 bit and the new computer will also have Win 7, 64 bit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »
Thanks, Maxiest.

Kinda looks like I'll be doing some installing. I'd hoped to avoid that drudgery..... :p

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2012, 11:47:11 AM »
The old computer runs Win 7, 64 bit and the new computer will also have Win 7, 64 bit.

Then use Windows Easy Transfer.  Just hit the Windows Icon and type "Windows Easy Transfer" and hit enter.  It will transfer nearly everything for you, besides your programs as I state previously.  You can use a portable HD to do this.

You can try that program mover, I have just found them unreliable.

The easiest way, especially since you are going to be using the same OS, is just to take out the HD and put it in the new computer.  This option wasn't really available in XP except in rare cases.  But with Windows 7 you can do this, and the person building your computer should know how.  BTW, I have done this with personal systems and would do it again. Space isn't an issue as I added a secondary HD for all my data.

"The society that puts equality before freedom will end up with neither; the society that puts freedom before equality will end up with a great measure of both."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »
Then use Windows Easy Transfer.  Just hit the Windows Icon and type "Windows Easy Transfer" and hit enter.  It will transfer nearly everything for you, besides your programs as I state previously.  You can use a portable HD to do this.

You can try that program mover, I have just found them unreliable.

The easiest way, especially since you are going to be using the same OS, is just to take out the HD and put it in the new computer.  This option wasn't really available in XP except in rare cases.  But with Windows 7 you can do this, and the person building your computer should know how.  BTW, I have done this with personal systems and would do it again. Space isn't an issue as I added a secondary HD for all my data.

Your idea would work well, I think, except that I have plans for my current/old computer. Gonna hook it up to a Yamaha portable grand piano so that Mrs E can play her transcribed viola music via MIDI so that it can be engraved for Violin II through Finale. Saves a lot of keystrokes and time.

I've got Finale installed on the old computer and don't need it on the new so much. And I don't need to buy another license for Finale. Damn program's expensive.

The old computer is only 4 years old, and it runs well, but it's just time for an upgrade.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2012, 11:58:23 AM »
First things first.

I gotta reorganize my data. It's funky the way it's currently set up and I've never been happy with it (brought about largely when I bought a new hard drive when the old one died, and the data transfer process at that time led to some problems which I've avoided fixing up till now).

Once I get that far, the Windows Easy Transfer thing should work pretty well, I'd think.

I could probably load everything up on a DVD or even a few CDs.

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
First things first.

I gotta reorganize my data. It's funky the way it's currently set up and I've never been happy with it (brought about largely when I bought a new hard drive when the old one died, and the data transfer process at that time led to some problems which I've avoided fixing up till now).

Once I get that far, the Windows Easy Transfer thing should work pretty well, I'd think.

I could probably load everything up on a DVD or even a few CDs.

Yes, a DVD or two should work.  A CD is only 700MB's max so if you have a lot of pictures and music you are looking at multiple CD's.  A standard DVD 4.7 GB's so you should be good there.  In my case I have nearly 800GB's of data so I have a portable drive that I keep most of that one instead of moving it every time I get a new computer.

-Milton Friedman

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 12:13:58 PM »
Yes, a DVD or two should work.  A CD is only 700MB's max so if you have a lot of pictures and music you are looking at multiple CD's.  A standard DVD 4.7 GB's so you should be good there.  In my case I have nearly 800GB's of data so I have a portable drive that I keep most of that one instead of moving it every time I get a new computer.

I don't have nearly that much -- most of the room is taken up with photos. And since we bought a new digital video camera capable of HD, I can see a lot of hard drive real estate disappearing quickly....

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 12:14:31 PM »
What kind of a portable hard drive do you have?

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 12:29:49 PM »
What kind of a portable hard drive do you have?

I have two.  One is a IOMega G-Drive 1TB.  This sits on my computer at all times and I use it to backup my files everyday.  It's also larger and has a power supply.

My other is a 500GB Drive that I carry with me between work and home.  It doesn't require a power supply and is my "portable."

-Milton Friedman

Offline Maxiest

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 12:30:54 PM »
I don't have nearly that much -- most of the room is taken up with photos. And since we bought a new digital video camera capable of HD, I can see a lot of hard drive real estate disappearing quickly....

Yes, HD will eat space up like PacMan.

-Milton Friedman