Author Topic: Virus & Malware Removal  (Read 42849 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Virus & Malware Removal
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
Great.  Thanks for the tip.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline CG6468

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »
I run IOBIT Security 360, Superantispyware, Ccleaner, MalwareBytes and Advance System Care. No problems that I know of. I also have older copies of CookieWall and POW! that still work just fine.

I use the same programs on my laptop machine.
Illinois, south of the gun controllers in Chi town

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »
Well, gang, my McAfee runs out Tuesday.  I damned sure don't want to renew with them, as when I updated last year, almost immediately afterwards my computer slowed down immensely. 

Could someone help me out with suggestions?  I seem to remember that a couple of members here have favorites.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 07:03:22 PM »
Well, gang, my McAfee runs out Tuesday.  I damned sure don't want to renew with them, as when I updated last year, almost immediately afterwards my computer slowed down immensely. 

Could someone help me out with suggestions?  I seem to remember that a couple of members here have favorites.

http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,45925.0.html

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 07:20:21 PM »
I switched all of our computers over to Microsoft Security Essentials last November or so.  So far I'm very happy with it.  Make sure you d/l it from Microsoft if you get it though.  There is a fake out there.

It's very user friendly, small and will allow you to work while it scans the machine.  There's a youtube video or two on it ... oh and it is free.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Chris_

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline namvet

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 07:47:37 PM »
well I have Norton and never a problem. this years version also scans facebook as well.

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
I'll second Chris' recommendation. Norton is OK, but it has its flaws, mainly that it is a resource hog and wants to own your computer.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2011, 09:29:39 AM »
New malware tricks users into thinking hard drive failure is imminent

More of the same garbage from spammers and thieves.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2011, 09:53:14 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Chris !!
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline namvet

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2011, 10:08:26 AM »
New malware tricks users into thinking hard drive failure is imminent

More of the same garbage from spammers and thieves.

download our free version to scan your PC....then

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=algWjS2yiyE[/youtube]

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »
I just saw this and will try  your tricks Thor

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Janice

• This election is about paychecks v. food stamps
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2011, 08:09:07 PM »
I agree with Thor. But I gotta say that that just Malwarebytes and Spybot do about 99% of what I need to fix others pcs. But you gotta keep these free apps up to date especially spybot as it wont update itself. And then 'immunize'. The pay for v. of malwarebytes will protect very well and update itself. It really does help protect people 'from themselves'.

Personally I usually avoid antivirus apps like the plague on my own machines, but I dont recommend that for customers. I hate em cause they slow me down too much ... plus I can tell when something is trying to attack or attach itself to my system. And some antiviruses are extremely proprietorial (like Norton). Of course my method involves taking the customers pc 'off line' and scanning them after slaving them to different machine. Unfortunately most people cant or wouldnt know how to do that for themselves. But these 2, (malwarebytes and spybot) are a great combo, if I had to choose 2.

Once in a while I need something else (on customers pcs) to clean them but that is only in extreme circumstances. This is when the hdd cannot for whatever reason be removed from the host machine and the infection is so bad that you cannot access or do anything from the desktop. But that is another discussion.

In the meantime I usually just install a free antivirus (MS Security Essentials or Avast or AVG depending on the circumstances) and spybot with instructions after the infected machine has been cleaned. As for the 'pay for' Antiviruses, I guess I do sort of lean towards Kaspersky a bit.
Reagan bankrupted the Soviet Empire ...

Obama is bankrupting the American Republic

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »
Got a problem. My Avast isn't working. Just got on the computer this morning, and tried to work it a little bit. Tried to turn it on. Nothing. Tried to re-install from the linky on page one. Nothing. Tried to go into my control panel, and turn it on, but the message says "File System Shield Provider Not Found." Very important I have this, IMO, and I don't believe I did anything to turn the shields off, or it itself. Help!

Should I just uninstall, and get one of the other computer protection programs suggested in this thread, or what? I'm kinda worried. Avast! has been pretty good to me thus far, but it seems a bit effed up now...

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 12:24:26 PM »
Have you tried repairing it from the Add/Remove Program list or downloading an updated copy (I use download.com).

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »
Yes. Both have been tried. Still same problems.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 01:03:51 PM »
Rev, do you have Malwarebytes?  If so have you ran it?  If not I would recommend you go get it and run a scan.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 01:46:34 PM »
Doing it now. I just had a thought though. I remember downloading Avast last year. Could the term be up or something? Would that possibly be a reason it isn't working like it should?

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Doing it now. I just had a thought though. I remember downloading Avast last year. Could the term be up or something? Would that possibly be a reason it isn't working like it should?

I suspect that is the problem......when I installed it I noticed that it was a 12-month free trial.  I therefore assume that to get another year, you have to uninstall it and start over.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Chris_

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »
Not unless you paid for something extra.  I'm not even sure what File System Shield is.  I never looked that closely.

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 01:59:33 PM »
Well, I've got Malwarebytes now, and am  scanning for problems. Therefore, I feel I should uninstall Avast, and maybe try it again later.

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 02:01:18 PM »
Not unless you paid for something extra.  I'm not even sure what File System Shield is.  I never looked that closely.

If you open Avast!, on the left you will see a series of tabs.....one of these is for the system shields, which scan all of the files going in our out of the system.  The default is "on".

As I mentioned upthread, I think Avast! is a 12-month free trial..........he'll have to uninstall it, and download and install it again perhaps.

doc
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:04:11 PM by TVDOC »
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
Oh great, this might not have been the issue. There was an error creating the setup log while trying to re-install Avast. Hmmm. I'm going to keep trying things but as least I am protected with Malwarebytes...

Offline thundley4

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2012, 04:21:03 PM »

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2012, 12:59:18 PM »
Will do when I get to reinstalling Avast. Not for nothin' but life has become the 6th circle of hell around here. All I really need to say at this point...

Thanks thundley.