Author Topic: A reminder to clean your computers  (Read 3923 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
A reminder to clean your computers
« on: March 02, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »

"It was working until you cleaned it!"

---> more
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

Re: A reminder to clean your computers
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 12:14:25 PM »
I'm going to  have to take some pictures of the computers in our shop, and then open them up for pictures.  I did clean one of them a year ago, by using a Shop-Vac.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 12:24:42 PM »
I cleaned out one of our computers a few weeks ago and the vacuum managed to suck out one of the DIMM chips.

I didn't realize it and was puzzled when it wouldn't boot. It took a trip to the repair guy to figure THAT one out.  :lmao:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 01:15:27 PM »
:rofl:

After I got my first computer that came with a hard drive (all 40 megabytes of it), I accidentally loosened the ribbon cable to the drive and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't load the operating system.  Had to take it back to the shop for that one, too.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »
I cleaned out one of our computers a few weeks ago and the vacuum managed to suck out one of the DIMM chips.

I didn't realize it and was puzzled when it wouldn't boot. It took a trip to the repair guy to figure THAT one out.  :lmao:

You should have called me.......
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 12:29:50 PM »
You should have called me.......

Yeah, hindsight's always 20/20. Probably next time. At least the DIMM chip wasn't completely gone - just tilted off its pegs a bit.  :shucks:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:49:20 PM »
After I got my first computer that came with a hard drive (all 40 megabytes of it), I accidentally loosened the ribbon cable to the drive and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't load the operating system.  Had to take it back to the shop for that one, too.

I was broke. I didn't get a putter until early 90's. It was an old Tandy. With a 386 intel or something, came with 2 MB Ram and a modem that hadn't been used since Reagan. lol.

I remember adding RAM and got it to 28 MB RAM, a 33.6 Modem, a sound card to get it working right. I paid $100 for a years worth of internet. I used Netscape 1.22, lol. I had to delete a game and install another to play and then delete that to play another. It had 200 MB of RAM and Windows 3.1.

I remember when I found Free Republic, I was hooked.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »
Those are really fairly minor cases of hooverisim. I can't see a single backbone or skull from an unidentified (and potentially long extinct) creature, no forgotten deal bags or caked on grease.

Running a service center for a major retailer exposes you to some user habits that are beyond disgusting.

Offline kenth

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 01:35:26 AM »
If I can ever find the pics, I'll post them. I opened one small tower up and the entire top was some sort of larval cocoon farm. Empty cocoons, so who knows what their home looked like. Another had a rodent nest in it. The rodent urine shorted out the motherboard and cpu. Replaced a multi-serial card inside one used to control material output to cement mixers. You couldn't see the components, just a thick layer of dust and debris.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 01:37:21 AM »
If I can ever find the pics, I'll post them. I opened one small tower up and the entire top was some sort of larval cocoon farm. Empty cocoons, so who knows what their home looked like. Another had a rodent nest in it. The rodent urine shorted out the motherboard and cpu. Replaced a multi-serial card inside one used to control material output to cement mixers. You couldn't see the components, just a thick layer of dust and debris.

blech