Author Topic: USB-C will be mandatory for phones sold in the EU ‘by autumn 2024’  (Read 3782 times)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
I saw a few headlines about this, thought "typical EU overreach" but this one had a subheadline that got the mental gears turning

A major blow to Apple’s Lightning port

I'm not an Apple fan, mostly just cause I don't care for the interface or their push to do EVERYFREAKINTHING through iSomethingorother.  But there could be some interesting technical repercussions that will affect us as well, since I don't see Apple or anyone else making EU only charging capable phones if they don't have too.  (Yes, Europeans get dual-SIM options we don't, another can of worms there)

Rapporteur Saliba added: “In two years’ time, if Apple wants to sell their products within our internal market they have to abide by our rules, and their device will have to be USB-C.”

However, the EU’s press release says the new legislation applies to devices “that are rechargeable via a wired cable.” This means that Apple may be able to avoid adding USB-C to its devices by creating a phone that only charges wirelessly (as has been previously rumored). However, recent reports say the company is testing iPhones with USB-C internally, and Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo claims Apple could make the switch as early as next year. Apple already uses the USB-C standard on laptops and some tablets

A push to all wireless charging?  Not a big fan of that idea, personally. 

The law still has some approval steps to go through, have to wait and see what the final results are. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.