Author Topic: IRAN: DNI Retreats on NIE of Iran Nukes  (Read 1854 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
IRAN: DNI Retreats on NIE of Iran Nukes
« on: February 08, 2008, 04:06:27 PM »
WASHINGTON — The director of national intelligence is backing away from his agency's assessment late last year that Iran had halted its nuclear program, saying he wishes he had written the unclassified version of the document in a different manner.

At a hearing yesterday of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, the intelligence director, Michael McConnell, said, "If I had 'til now to think about it, I probably would change a few things." He later added, "I would change the way we describe the Iranian nuclear program. I would have included that there are the component parts, that the portion of it, maybe the least significant, had halted."

Mr. McConnell was referring to the specific Iranian program to design potential nuclear warheads, which the December estimate said had halted in 2003. But in his opening testimony, Mr. McConnell noted that two other components of the nuclear program were moving ahead — the enrichment of uranium, which he said was the most difficult part of making a bomb, and the development of long-range missiles capable of hitting North Africa and Europe.

The National Intelligence Estimate on Iran's nuclear program released on December 3 distinguished Iran's enrichment of uranium at Natanz and Arak from its formal nuclear weapons program, which it said had halted in 2003 after the American invasion of Iraq.

Yesterday, Mr. McConnell struck a different tone. "Declared uranium enrichment efforts, which will enable the production of fissile material, continue. This is the most difficult challenge in nuclear production. Iran's efforts to perfect ballistic missiles that can reach North Africa and Europe also continue."

He went on, "We remain concerned about Iran's intentions and assess with moderate-to-high confidence that Tehran at a minimum is keeping open the option to develop nuclear weapons."
http://www.nysun.com/article/70818

Methinks the Dec 3, 2007 NIE was a political hit-piece.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: IRAN: DNI Retreats on NIE of Iran Nukes
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 12:38:16 PM »
Sadly, I think that President Bush's biggest mistake was not cleaning out all of the Clintonistas in the CIA, NSA, State and Justice Depts......it has come back to haunt him so many times......

So much for "compassionate conservatism".

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.