Author Topic: The Director of the CDC says schools can safely reopen even if teachers are not  (Read 871 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://democraticunderground.com/100215049708

still_one (76,512 posts)

The Director of the CDC says schools can safely reopen even if teachers are not vaccinated for Covid

It should not be required

"WASHINGTON — The Director of the CDC says schools can safely reopen even if teachers are not vaccinated for the coronavirus.

As some teachers’ unions balk at resuming in-person instruction before teachers are inoculated, Dr. Rochelle Walensky says, “Vaccination of teachers is not a prerequisite for safe reopening of schools.” Walensky cited CDC data showing that social distancing and wearing a mask significantly reduce the spread of the virus in school settings.

White House COVID-19 coordinator Jeff Zients called on Congress to pass additional funding to ensure schools have the resources necessary to support reopening."

https://www.kron4.com/news/national/cdc-schools-can-reopen-without-teacher-shots/

I believe the CD is wrong on this, and am very disappointed to her Dr. Walensky advocating this

This will come back and bite the CDC. It is not unlike there initial recommendation that "masks" were not necessary when the pandemic first appeared.

There will be push back on this by teachers, and I support the teachers

That is Joe's pick.  Why don't you believe the science??  What is wrong with you people.  They've been telling you this for MONTHS, but that was Trump people.  It's Biden's pick now and you still won't believe?

I like this little exchange;

VarryOn (1,256 posts)

10. My wife has been back in the classroom since August...

She's had to quarantine twice and been tested three times. So far, so good. She says the handful of kids opting to do home school require considerable more work than the in-person ones. But, her school makes it work. Flexibility is the key.

uponit7771 (74,146 posts)

17. where I'm at its like the teachers could give a shit, I'm pissed to learn my kids have gotten half

... the time with the teachers than the in school kids have had.

Pissed, learned this last week that the power point we got for at home kids at the beginning of the year was NOTHING like what was being implemented.

VarryOn (1,256 posts)

36. I'm sorry to hear that....

So many kids are getting short-changed during the pandemic. The lack of instruction will affect many kids for years to come. And unfortunately, many are kids who already are behind the eight-ball. Hopefully, you're not in Chicago. It seems to be the worst situation.

Maybe the kids are already behind the 8 ball because their parents are snowflakes, OR maybe they're not doing what a parent should be doing, CARING about what their kids are doing and being involved and ... following the science that clearly states it is safe to return to school!

And what is that snark about Chicago?  Isn't that a liberal bastion of hope?  A utopia of democrat making?

Fun thread.  Pam is claiming she's getting a medical leave so she doesn't have to do her job.  She's basically saying f*ck the kids, I'm taking care of me.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

Wow, so much unfaithfulness to the teacher's union!

Last I heard, the teacher's union yanked her We-Own-You leash and she backed down on her threats of action. Unsurprisingly.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DLR Pyro

https://democraticunderground.com/100215049708

And what is that snark about Chicago?  Isn't that a liberal bastion of hope?  A utopia of democrat making?

according to mayor beetlejuice, it is all Trump's fault...

Lightfoot blames Trump for standoff between city's public schools and teachers union

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot on Tuesday blamed former President Donald Trump for the current impasse between the city’s public schools and teachers union.

Lightfoot's comments, which she made Tuesday on CNN’s "New Day," marked a reversal from what she said a day before on MSNBC, when she called the situation in Chicago "uniquely local."

Stopping short of naming Trump, Lightfoot said the standoff between Chicago Public Schools and the Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) over whether teachers should return to classrooms this week was "because of the incompetence of the previous administration."
https://www.fox32chicago.com/news/lightfoot-blames-trump-for-standoff-between-citys-public-schools-and-teachers-union

I always thought that negotiations between a local school district and their local union were a local matter presided over by the local mayor...
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Quote from: DUmmy
And unfortunately, many are kids who already are behind the eight-ball. Hopefully, you're not in Chicago. It seems to be the worst situation.

Behind the "eight-ball"?  Racist much, DUmmie?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

Some teachers groups are demanding that cops be defunded before they return. WTF does that have to do with the Chinese Flu?

Offline DLR Pyro

Some teachers groups are demanding that cops be defunded before they return. WTF does that have to do with the Chinese Flu?

Remember how Ronald Reagan dealt with the air traffic controllers during the PATCO strike in 1981?

Yeah, that's the kind of hardball that needs to be played with these teachers.  Go back to work our you're done!
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Remember how Ronald Reagan dealt with the air traffic controllers during the PATCO strike in 1981?

Yeah, that's the kind of hardball that needs to be played with these teachers.  Go back to work our you're done!

Hey, if the oil and gas workers can go "find new and better jobs", I would think teachers could too.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline landofconfusion80

Hey, if the oil and gas workers can go "find new and better jobs", I would think teachers could too.

KC
They really aren't qualified to do much else though. Maybe some of the younger ones could work at hooters...MAYBE...
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
Firsthand and second hand teacher experience here.  Decisions need to be made at the school level.  Not federal, not state, not county or city (exceptions for rural, combined schools organizations, like the one I spent most of my school years).  The district my wife and i work for, and we still have one child in, opened up all online back in August.  Went a couple of weeks, then parents had the option to continue online or send kids into the buildings.  Vast majority stayed online.  District re-evaluated everything a few weeks later, discovered huge failure rates, mostly from online learners.  Warnings were made, and shortly thereafter, many students were forced back into classrooms.  As grading cycles have ended, parents are again offered the choice of online or face to face, and now, 2/3ds through the year, everyone is probably where they will be until the online option is revoked or something hits the fan and we all close up again. 

I tell you all that to tell you this.  My campus is a disciplinary one, we get kids who get in trouble.  I'm on the middle school side, we have a whopping 11 students right now, total across 6-8th grades.  High school is a little busier, but I don't know their exact numbers.  These are very low numbers for us.  We have had a couple of positive kung-flu tests and a few folks quarantined due to possible exposure, but nothing major.  There is no reason for my school to close up or go all online.

My wife's school, pre-K/kindergarten building, on the other hand, is running a skeleton crew of teachers and staff (including janitorial staff)  because of numerous positive tests, and people with shockingly similar symptoms whose test still come back negative.  They need to close up for a couple of weeks, lysol bomb the whole building, but someone high up the chain (not sure how far) won't. 

Teachers should be the same way.  Individuals who are not in high risk categories and want to go to work should be able to, those who are worried can work from home.  Union group think will just cause the students who are falling behind (and there are tons of those, this mess will definitely leave a mark on the education level of the US for several years to come, but that's another can of worms) to get further behind.
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Firsthand and second hand teacher experience here.  Decisions need to be made at the school level.  Not federal, not state, not county or city (exceptions for rural, combined schools organizations, like the one I spent most of my school years).  The district my wife and i work for, and we still have one child in, opened up all online back in August.  Went a couple of weeks, then parents had the option to continue online or send kids into the buildings.  Vast majority stayed online.  District re-evaluated everything a few weeks later, discovered huge failure rates, mostly from online learners.  Warnings were made, and shortly thereafter, many students were forced back into classrooms.  As grading cycles have ended, parents are again offered the choice of online or face to face, and now, 2/3ds through the year, everyone is probably where they will be until the online option is revoked or something hits the fan and we all close up again. 

I tell you all that to tell you this.  My campus is a disciplinary one, we get kids who get in trouble.  I'm on the middle school side, we have a whopping 11 students right now, total across 6-8th grades.  High school is a little busier, but I don't know their exact numbers.  These are very low numbers for us.  We have had a couple of positive kung-flu tests and a few folks quarantined due to possible exposure, but nothing major.  There is no reason for my school to close up or go all online.

My wife's school, pre-K/kindergarten building, on the other hand, is running a skeleton crew of teachers and staff (including janitorial staff)  because of numerous positive tests, and people with shockingly similar symptoms whose test still come back negative.  They need to close up for a couple of weeks, lysol bomb the whole building, but someone high up the chain (not sure how far) won't. 

Teachers should be the same way.  Individuals who are not in high risk categories and want to go to work should be able to, those who are worried can work from home.  Union group think will just cause the students who are falling behind (and there are tons of those, this mess will definitely leave a mark on the education level of the US for several years to come, but that's another can of worms) to get further behind.

Thanks for expressing your first hand opinion.  It is a complicated mess mostly on the part of teachers unions who want to get paid without showing up.  Feigning worries about the Wuhan.

The former Mrs. Wiggum is a former teacher and now a private school administrator, and she sent me an email a few months ago.  We've been divorced for over a decade and have no need for any contact. We didn't have children and the divorce itself has been settled long ago.

Anyway, she is not particularly political but she's pissed that the unions are being so resistant to doing their jobs.  For many of the reasons you've illuminated in your post.  Children need socialization and in person learning, as it clearly isn't working with on-line garbage.  The science has proved that schools are not a danger to either teachers or students.  Cases, occasionally.  But deaths are extremely rare.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
So the kids not going will be more unlearned and therefore more stupid and easy to manipulate in life than those who attend? Not attending sounds like a Dem party recruitment tool.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
So the kids not going will be more unlearned and therefore more stupid and easy to manipulate in life than those who attend? Not attending sounds like a Dem party recruitment tool.

Oh come on. Making kids go to school in Chicago would cut into their free time and criminal activities.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

That’s just part of it. The really insidious part is; the government is here to help and protect you.

KC

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

That may be true in the liberal cities to an extent. OTOH, those few parents that do care about their children are teaching them and they are not being indoctrinated, by the commies in the unions.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

That’s just part of it. The really insidious part is; the government is here to help and protect you.

KC

One of the many fabled quotes from Ronald Reagan:

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. "

Offline landofconfusion80

We have home schooled since day one, so our education system has been largely unaffected. My children do not look forward to managing the increasingly ignorant products of the public school system. There were major problems before the kungflu scapegoat
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)