Author Topic: McCain Suspends Campaign to Focus on Economy; Wants Debate Delay  (Read 17509 times)

Offline terry

Re: McCain Suspends Campaign to Focus on Economy; Wants Debate Delay
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2008, 04:11:55 PM »

Apparently, Barack Hussein Obama wants the debate to go forward. I don't know. He's confusing the hell out of everybody at Ace:

McCain Suspends Campaigning to Deal With Financial Crisis; Update: Obama Claims Idea to Suspend Was His First, But Also Says He's Not Suspending.. What?

:mental:
http://ace.mu.nu/archives/274139.php

It makes perfect sense.   Obama is a man of ideas.   He has ideas.   He shouldn't be expected to do anything.   It's all about the ideas.

Offline jendf

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2008, 04:12:11 PM »
Someone please convince me that I am being paranoid.  I have a really bad feeling about the next week or so.  I worry with the Russian military in Venezula, China is involved now too.  North Korea just kicked out the UN nuke guys.  Maybe it is just the freaking in me but I feel a need to stock more ammo and food all of the sudden.

Breathe, Mama. Rush was talking about the media pushing all of these "we are doomed" articles on us because they want us down. They want us afraid. They want us to turn to the government for help. They don't want us "clinging to God and guns." They want us to put them down and say, "We're scared! Help us, Mighty Government."

When talking about the recession, Rush said, "If they want to have a recession, don't participate." This totally resonated with me. It's about attitude and not letting the MSM tell you what your attitude should look like.

Offline jendf

« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2008, 04:12:36 PM »
Is he trying to speak without a teleprompter? :evillaugh:
How could you tell?  :lmao:

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
Totally agree with Rush's statement aobut not participating in a recession! I'm seeing lots of people panicing right now and that's really the last thing we need to do.

Brilliant move by McCain. :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2008, 04:26:43 PM »
Unilateral disarmament it may be.

But every time an Obama ad runs in the next five weeks - especially since 77% of the man's ads have been deemed "negative" by those who measure sugh things - I can see teh Obamessiah taking a "HUGH" hit for it.

it's a lose-lose for obama.  if he continues to campaign, he is looks craven and opportunistic.  if he submits to mccain's request, he looks like a follower, and mccain looks like the real leader.

Amen Brah!

McCain calling for the President to ask for a bi-partisan seinior leadership meeting was absolutely outta the park BRILLIANT!!!

Obama is going to look like a total self involved tool if he ignores it because McCain has a real bully pulpit framing this as AMERICAS problem rather than a Dem or Rep one!

And if he is in Washington "working" on the most critical issue to come down the pike in ages then Obama is going to look like a jerk if he tries to score points over a skipped debate.

This is SOOOOOOO freaking cool!

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
Bill Sammon was just on FNC with Martha MacCallum and he said that Obama just may have gotten the upper hand in this.  Mama, I'm with you on the additional guns and ammo.  One of my wife's co-workers called while the Obamessiah was speaking, and she (the co-worker) is married to a mortgage broker.  Said mortgage broker was closing on a property with a client today, when the mortgage bank just up and went bankrupt, an hour or two before the closing was to happen.  He had to scramble to another broker quickly, but he got it done.  Said co-worker told my wife that she wanted to learn how to shoot a gun . . . soon.

Don't really know what all this means, but . . . just an ancedote.

Personally, I think that Obama's for "change," all right--the "change" that morphs him into an old-style politician.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 04:31:20 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2008, 04:28:55 PM »
Hell, yeah, country first. Although Barack Hussein Obama would be worthless again even if he did go back to the Senate, and he probably won't. He's probably still waiting on the word from Soros.

But McCain, he is gutsy - this is another one of his bold and courageous, offensive moves that are sincere. Some cable news show said Barack Hussein Obama was supposed to release a statement on this at 4:45 EDT, better fire up that teleprompter.

Whats REALLY funny is that McCain will go back as a senior Senate member to do this and Barry will go back as a first year tadpole with one worthless committee chair on an unrelated subject.  :)

Offline InfamousAndy

• Just Off Probation
  • The Friendly Christian
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2008, 04:32:55 PM »
As an independant, McCain just ended any doubts I had about him.  He has earned my vote.

This was really a 'King Solomon' moment, and Obama chose to cut the Baby in two.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2008, 04:33:51 PM »
If it really is the great depression, then he is placing his personal fortunes above the well being of the country if he does anything BUT follow mccain's lead . . . But the he is, well FOLLOWING mccain's LEAD.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2008, 04:34:07 PM »
As an independant, McCain just ended any doubts I had about him.  He has earned my vote.

This was really a 'King Solomon' moment, and Obama chose to cut the Baby in two.

:clap:  Welcome to the dark side... :-)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »
If it really is the great depression, then he is placing his personal fortunes above the well being of the country if he does anything BUT follow mccain's lead . . . But the he is, well FOLLOWING mccain's LEAD.

Exactly!

Offline InfamousAndy

• Just Off Probation
  • The Friendly Christian
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2008, 04:37:56 PM »

:clap:  Welcome to the dark side... :-)

I was pretty much decided that way anyways... McCain was just not high on my primary list.  Palin is probably the only candidate that I am excited about now.

Offline asdf2231

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2008, 04:58:52 PM »
I might point out rather cynically also that by "Going Dark" with his campaign ads he puts the onus on Barack for making political hyjinks out of a national crisis by running HIS ads AND...  Saves a week or two in advertising expenses that his campaign would normally be out of pocket on as a "War Chest" closer to the elections.

And the 527's can be the ones that run the ads pointing out what a self involved weasel BO is for not following suit.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2008, 05:00:25 PM »
no one that saw the saddleback throwdown, or remembers that it was The BarackStar! that nitially agreed, and then backed away, from mccain's "10 town halls" proposal.

Absolutely true - but we can guarantee that the Obamedia will do everything to deny the existence of either of these facts.

McCain has been waiting to debate Obama for months. We all know it - but now it seems the importance of keeping <<this>> debate on schedule has become the most important thing to Obama ever. Funny that...  

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2008, 05:03:14 PM »
unfortunately, both houses of congress are run by petulant teenagers.

Reid to McCain: Don't Come Back to Capitol

A Democrat tells ABC News that, in a phone call late this afternoon, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., that it would NOT be helpful for him to come back to Washington, D.C., to work on the Wall Street bailout bill.

McCain this afternoon suspended his campaign and said he would skip the first presidential debate in order to return to Capitol Hill to work on the log-jammed Bush administration legislation, which, as of Wednesday afternoon, was in peril.

When contacted, the McCain campaign did not have any comment.

McCain had phoned Reid to ask about the prospects of him, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and others to sit down and work together on hammering out a bipartisan proposal.

"Sorry," Reid said to him, a Democrat close to Reid says.

Reid then read McCain the statement he had just put out: "This is a critical time for our country," says the Reid statement. "While I appreciate that both candidates have signaled their willingness to help, Congress and the administration have a process in place to reach a solution to this unprecedented financial crisis. I understand that the candidates are putting together a joint statement at Sen. Obama’s suggestion.  But it would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation’s economy.  If that changes, we will call upon them.  We need leadership; not a campaign photo op. If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now.”

A source close to Reid said McCain didn't have much to say after that. Reid, the source says, thinks McCain's maneuver is a gimmick born from bad poll numbers and the fact that "debate prep must not be going very well."

Link

Offline PotterFan

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 05:08:10 PM »
Brilliant, brilliant move!

I can't wait to see how the Obama camp spins his refusal to go back to DC.

Offline Tess Anderson

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2008, 05:10:57 PM »

Absolutely true - but we can guarantee that the Obamedia will do everything to deny the existence of either of these facts.

McCain has been waiting to debate Obama for months. We all know it - but now it seems the importance of keeping <<this>> debate on schedule has become the most important thing to Obama ever. Funny that...  

LOL, in the HRC forum, someone is all over this one:
Obama tried to steal McCain's thunder by stretching the truth with the following statement:

Quote:
FROM SPOX BILL BURTON/obama camp

At 8:30 this morning, Senator Obama called Senator McCain to ask him if he would join in issuing a joint statement outlining their shared principles and conditions for the Treasury proposal and urging Congress and the White House to act in a bipartisan manner to pass such a proposal.

At 2:30 this afternoon, Senator McCain returned Senator Obamas call and agreed to join him in issuing such a statement. The two campaigns are currently working together on the details. 

THE MCCAIN CAMPAIGN SAYS NOT QUITE TRUE:

Quote:
Per Brian Rogers/McCain camp:

Senator Obama phoned Senator McCain at 8:30 am this morning but did not reach him. The topic of Senator Obamas call to Senator McCain was never discussed. Senator McCain was meeting with economic advisers and talking to leaders in Congress throughout the day prior to calling Senator Obama. At 2:30 pm, Senator McCain phoned Senator Obama and expressed deep concern that the plan on the table would not pass as it currently stands. He asked Senator Obama to join him in returning to Washington to lead a bipartisan effort to solve this problem 

UPDATE--IT GETS EVEN BETTER - Obama didn't know what to do, so he called Dick Durbin last night who told him the debate was more important, and that the call actually happened at 9am, not 8:30am. Durbin also says its better to meet behind closed doors. Durbin just said the following on the Senate floor.

then she (?) goes on to quote from some Congressional blogger.

http://www.hillaryclintonforum.net/discussion/showthread.php?t=31768

Sou8nds like even those Democrats have gotten Barack Hussein Obama's number.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 05:12:00 PM »
Brilliant, brilliant move!

I can't wait to see how the Obama camp spins his refusal to go back to DC.

the cable news outlets are immediately following the story about mccain suspending his campaign (and obama balking at doing so) with the latest poll numbers.  the inference is obvious.

Offline InfamousAndy

• Just Off Probation
  • The Friendly Christian
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »
Harry Reid's problem is simple enough to solve.  Pass a bill before McCain gets there, and he will have no need to come.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2008, 05:29:26 PM »
HAHA bawhahaha.  I'm listening to Hugh Huwett and he said he just found out from McCain's spokesman that McCain hasn't even spoken with Obama today.   :rotf:

Edited to add:  I might have heard that wrong, he might of said that Obama didn't call McCain or something like that.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 05:36:59 PM by BEG »

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2008, 05:34:47 PM »
You know it's a bad day for Barakstar! when even Pat Buchannan says what McCain is doing is a brilliant move.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2008, 05:40:06 PM »
Country first. 

Keep the change.   :cheersmate:

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2008, 06:08:35 PM »
unfortunately, both houses of congress are run by petulant teenagers.

Reid to McCain: Don't Come Back to Capitol

A Democrat tells ABC News that, in a phone call late this afternoon, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., that it would NOT be helpful for him to come back to Washington, D.C., to work on the Wall Street bailout bill.

McCain this afternoon suspended his campaign and said he would skip the first presidential debate in order to return to Capitol Hill to work on the log-jammed Bush administration legislation, which, as of Wednesday afternoon, was in peril.

When contacted, the McCain campaign did not have any comment.

McCain had phoned Reid to ask about the prospects of him, Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., and others to sit down and work together on hammering out a bipartisan proposal.

"Sorry," Reid said to him, a Democrat close to Reid says.

Reid then read McCain the statement he had just put out: "This is a critical time for our country," says the Reid statement. "While I appreciate that both candidates have signaled their willingness to help, Congress and the administration have a process in place to reach a solution to this unprecedented financial crisis. I understand that the candidates are putting together a joint statement at Sen. Obama’s suggestion.  But it would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation’s economy.  If that changes, we will call upon them.  We need leadership; not a campaign photo op. If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now.”

A source close to Reid said McCain didn't have much to say after that. Reid, the source says, thinks McCain's maneuver is a gimmick born from bad poll numbers and the fact that "debate prep must not be going very well."

Link

Yet just yesterday Reid said they needed McCain to vote cause it probably couldn't pass without it.......................................what a dumbass just playing politics
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2008, 06:10:06 PM »
"While I appreciate that both candidates have signaled their willingness to help, Congress and the administration have a process in place to reach a solution to this unprecedented financial crisis. I understand that the candidates are putting together a joint statement at Sen. Obama’s suggestion.  But it would not be helpful at this time to have them come back during these negotiations and risk injecting presidential politics into this process or distract important talks about the future of our nation’s economy.

Hey Harry:

:bird: you, you  :censored:
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2008, 06:15:23 PM »
Has anyone gauged the public's response to this suspension yet?  The moonbats are going berzerk.  I was stunned at first, but now I think it's a brilliant move.