Author Topic: McCain Suspends Campaign to Focus on Economy; Wants Debate Delay  (Read 17506 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Re: McCain Suspends Campaign to Focus on Economy; Wants Debate Delay
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2008, 08:47:03 PM »
Obama's response:

“It’s my belief that this is exactly the time the American people need to hear from the person who in approximately 40 days will be responsible with dealing with this mess ... What I think is important is that we don’t suddenly infuse Capitol Hill with presidential politics ... Presidents are going to have to deal with more than one thing at a time. It’s not necessary for us to think that we can do only one thing, and suspend everything else."

This totally sucks for him now....The President asked him to go to Congress....the libtards will love it if you shunned the President.
Unfortunately for Barrack, he can't take the ball and go home because McCain didn't play it his way.. :-)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »
Obama's response:

“It’s my belief that this is exactly the time the American people need to hear from the person who in approximately 40 days will be responsible with dealing with this mess ... What I think is important is that we don’t suddenly infuse Capitol Hill with presidential politics ... Presidents are going to have to deal with more than one thing at a time. It’s not necessary for us to think that we can do only one thing, and suspend everything else."

This totally sucks for him now....The President asked him to go to Congress....the libtards will love it if you shunned the President.
Unfortunately for Barrack, he can't take the ball and go home because McCain didn't play it his way.. :-)

as far as his response goes, I think Barack shoulda waited . . . .  :-)

Offline Jim

« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2008, 08:51:54 PM »
The kid screwed the pooch again.

I cannot understand why he is so anxious to have his ass handed to him in the debate.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2008, 08:53:56 PM »
I wish McCain would come out and say, in approx. 40 days we will be electing someone to the highest office in the land. Now is not the time to elect an untested rookie with less than a year of Senate experience under his belt. America needs someone steady and experienced.......Yeah, I can dream.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2008, 08:55:09 PM »

I cannot understand why he is so anxious to have his ass handed to him in the debate.

he wanted the foreign policy debate to be as far away from election day as possible.  get the carnage out of the way early, so to speak.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2008, 08:57:52 PM »
I wish McCain would come out and say, in approx. 40 days we will be electing someone to the highest office in the land. Now is not the time to elect an untested rookie with less than a year of Senate experience under his belt. America needs someone steady and experienced.......Yeah, I can dream.

he even screwed that up . . . the election is in 40 days.  the inauguration is in 120 days (or so) on january 20th.  it isn't the new president's "mess" until he actually takes office.  The BarackStar! gets an F in civics . . . again.

sucks to be him. :-)

Offline Jim

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »

he wanted the foreign policy debate to be as far away from election day as possible.  get the carnage out of the way early, so to speak.

Makes sense.

But imagine getting your ass kicked when your opponent, the grownup, has "been working" while you've been cramming and drinking in sunny FLA !
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2008, 09:08:18 PM »

he even screwed that up . . . the election is in 40 days.  the inauguration is in 120 days (or so) on january 20th.  it isn't the new president's "mess" until he actually takes office.  The BarackStar! gets an F in civics . . . again.

Ha Ha! [inserts that kid from The Simpsons]

I've always wondered what goes on with the president-elect between Nov and Jan. I'm sure there is plenty of "here's your office, here's where we keep the photocopier, you have to dial 9 to get an outside line..." That's tongue in cheek, but I have always wanted to know.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »

I've always wondered what goes on with the president-elect between Nov and Jan. I'm sure there is plenty of "here's your office, here's where we keep the photocopier, you have to dial 9 to get an outside line..." That's tongue in cheek, but I have always wanted to know.....

. . . and when GWB took office, there were also comments about, "no, I have no idea what happened to the carpet right there". :uhsure:

« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:13:59 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2008, 09:13:38 PM »

Makes sense.

But imagine getting your ass kicked when your opponent, the grownup, has "been working" while you've been cramming and drinking in sunny FLA !

yeah, the fact that he all but stopped campaigning (but not fund raising) so he could study for the debate is a little ridiculous in the first place.

Offline Jim

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2008, 09:21:14 PM »

Briefings briefings and more briefings.

There is a lot to learn.  And the real trick is that you have to be able to discern BS from fact because every one of those guys has an agenda.  Thats why executive experience is so vital.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 09:22:47 PM by Jim »

Offline Lauri

« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2008, 10:08:02 PM »

Makes sense.

yeah, the fact that he all but stopped campaigning (but not fund raising) so he could study for the debate is a little ridiculous in the first place.

i saw a quote somewhere of Biden saying his prep work for the VP debates had been 'hard' ... these two buffoons just cant seem to catch a break the past few weeks..  :popcorn:

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2008, 10:11:41 PM »

let's see now.  mccain has shamed obama into going to iraq, and now he has pretty much shamed him into doing his job regarding the (using his words) "biggest financial crisis since the great depression".  The BarackStar! should go ahead and put john mccain on his staff.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »

let's see now.  mccain has shamed obama into going to iraq, and now he has pretty much shamed him into doing his job regarding the (using his words) "biggest financial crisis since the great depression".  The BarackStar! should go ahead and put john mccain on his staff.

Reminds me of President Bush.  The Dems have cowed to him on everything he wanted over the last seven years.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »

Reminds me of President Bush.  The Dems have cowed to him on everything he wanted over the last seven years.

certainly the last two.  I think the dems thought that control of congress meant something besides "being george's biiiiaatch". :-)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2008, 11:37:40 PM »
According to this, he will now:

WASHINGTON -- With extraordinary stakes on the line, President Bush has invited both presidential candidates and the leaders of the House and Senate to the White House on Thursday in hopes of securing a bill to rescue the economy.

Bush took the unusual step Wednesday night of calling Democratic Sen. Barack Obama directly to invite him to the meeting, White House press secretary Dana Perino said. An Obama spokesman said the senator would attend. The White House has also invited Republican Sen. John McCain.

This is what infuriates me about the news media.  This was news three hours ago, and they're still running Obama's response to McCain's announcement that happened 12 hours ago.  And they'll keep running it all weekend to make it look like Obama was the one to come up with the idea first.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2008, 11:45:23 PM »
John McCain was an afterthought according to that article.... :whatever:

Stupid media will get schooled on Election Day.  Again.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2008, 07:01:20 AM »
[
This is what infuriates me about the news media.  This was news three hours ago, and they're still running Obama's response to McCain's announcement that happened 12 hours ago.  And they'll keep running it all weekend to make it look like Obama was the one to come up with the idea first.

Yeah God forbid they actually tell the truth.  According to the WSJ it seems that Obama was hoping McCain would back their play....only John had other ideas:
But several paragraphs down in the AP report, we learn that McCain was responding to a suggestion from Obama:

The Obama campaign said Obama had called McCain around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to propose that they issue a joint statement in support of a package to help fix the economy as soon as possible. McCain called back six hours later and agreed to the idea of the statement, the Obama campaign said. McCain's statement was issued to the media a few minutes later.

What is going on here? This report from the Washington Post Web site, which appeared shortly before noon, may give a clue:

Sen. John McCain said this morning that he has not assured Democratic leaders of his support for the financial bailout package, disputing comments by Majority Leader Harry Reid that he had.

Reid told reporters Tuesday that, in a private conversation Monday, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson assured Reid that McCain would eventually back the bailout legislation, which Reid has set as a precondition for approving the bill to tone down the partisan atmosphere surrounding the controversial issue. "I've got some good news," said Reid, adding that it "appears" McCain would back the package.

Before a meeting of his economic brain-trust, McCain denied that report.

Told of Reid's comment that the GOP nominee would vote for the plan put forth by Paulson, McCain said, "I did not say that."
Senior McCain adviser Mark Salter told reporters later that "he hasn't said that to Paulson or to Reid or to anybody else. He hasn't said that to me."

From Obama's communication to McCain, and from Reid's statement that McCain would back the bailout, it sounds as though the Democrats were counting on McCain to provide political cover for them. "Apparently knowing that," reader Tom Silvestri writes, "McCain decided to expand that reality from an inside-the-Beltway thing to an on-the-national-stage thing, just like he did with the invasion of Georgia and the hurricane on the eve of the Republican Convention":

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122226574427971151.html

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2008, 07:59:57 AM »
John McCain was an afterthought according to that article.... :whatever:

Stupid media will get schooled on Election Day.  Again.

From your keyboard to God's internet terminal!
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies