Author Topic: Hurricane Ike Live Thread -- Texas Area CC Members Check in With Us  (Read 21595 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour

Live radar loop from new orleans.  updated every 15 minutes.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:14:10 PM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Wretched Excess

Hurricane Ike Live Thread -- Texas Area CC Members Check in With Us
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 04:50:25 PM »

the 5 PM bulletin for hurricane Ike

I am locking down the old Ike thread.  We will pick up here.

Offline Wretched Excess

Re: Hurricane Ike Live Thread -- Texas Area CC Members Check in With Us
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 04:57:16 PM »

Here is the link to the old Breaking News thread on Hurricane Ike - Thousands in Texas Flee Hurricane Ike

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »
My BIL lives on the west side of Houston.  Hope his house is still there tomorrow.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:11:06 PM »
'there will be some coastal texas town that just won't exist on Sunday.  the storm surge is projected to be 30% higher than Katrina, and we saw what happened to the mississippi gulf coast.

I pray to God those people all left.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 05:15:11 PM »
If it's anything like after Rita, my family will be able to go back in a few days to check things out, but not to stay.  They were up here for 2 weeks before going home. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 05:19:50 PM »
Well, I'm sitting here looking across the golf course to the lake.  We have some moderate winds starting to come out of the east with the south starting to get a little darker.  The lake is still pretty flat and I look across a piece of lake that is approximately 2 miles wide so when the wind picks up it starts getting white caps pretty quickly.

I don't think we are going to start seeing the real stuff until about 3 am.  I am in San Jacinto county (if you care to google it) on Lake Livingston.  This should be fun!  I don't think this is going to be anywhere NEAR what Rita was to our area.  They are still showing this storm to be at 105 mph.  While that is a lot of wind it isn't near what Rita was coming in.

I'll try to log in once in awhile and let y'all know what is going on here.  We are about 70 miles north of Houston so Servo will be seeing this a few hours earlier than I will.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 05:21:02 PM »
the slosh models of the storm surge have actually improved somewhat.  as noted in the old thread, this is
a worst case scenario;  it's a huge storm pushing a lot of water, and it will hit just south of galveston bay,
bays and harbors amplify the magnitude of the storm surge, and, finally, it will hit at approximately high tide.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
Well, I'm sitting here looking across the golf course to the lake.  We have some moderate winds starting to come out of the east with the south starting to get a little darker.  The lake is still pretty flat and I look across a piece of lake that is approximately 2 miles wide so when the wind picks up it starts getting white caps pretty quickly.

I don't think we are going to start seeing the real stuff until about 3 am.  I am in San Jacinto county (if you care to google it) on Lake Livingston.  This should be fun!  I don't think this is going to be anywhere NEAR what Rita was to our area.  They are still showing this storm to be at 105 mph.  While that is a lot of wind it isn't near what Rita was coming in.

I'll try to log in once in awhile and let y'all know what is going on here.  We are about 70 miles north of Houston so Servo will be seeing this a few hours earlier than I will.

KC

Try and keep in touch as much as possible Texacon! 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 05:25:22 PM »
I will try to stay in touch.  I expect our power to go out sometime in the mid morning.  It may go out sooner than that though ... our power is fed to this area out of Beaumont.

If I think about it I may run up to my office and get my digi cam so I can take pictures as it all goes down.  When we went through Rita I kept saying I wish I had brought the camera home.  I could have gotten some great pictures as the lake washed up over an 8' bulkhead onto the 14th tee box.  It was absolutely awesome.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 05:26:50 PM »
I will try to stay in touch.  I expect our power to go out sometime in the mid morning.  It may go out sooner than that though ... our power is fed to this area out of Beaumont.

If I think about it I may run up to my office and get my digi cam so I can take pictures as it all goes down.  When we went through Rita I kept saying I wish I had brought the camera home.  I could have gotten some great pictures as the lake washed up over an 8' bulkhead onto the 14th tee box.  It was absolutely awesome.

KC

Good luck.  I know where Lake Livingston is, I've driven through it a few times on my way to Pt Arthur.  :)
Stink Eye

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 05:27:56 PM »

KC

Good luck.  I know where Lake Livingston is, I've driven through it a few times on my way to Pt Arthur.  :)

Ever see Waterwood?  That's where I live.  I LOVE it here.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2008, 05:30:57 PM »

KC

KC

No, I don't believe I have.  I just take 190 from Huntsville over to Woodville.  I rarely stop along that part of the drive.  I just haul ass in my Beetle.  :)
Stink Eye

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2008, 05:35:23 PM »
I was listenting to one of those live streams and I heard Geraldo say that the mayor of Gavleston said 40% of the residents had chosen to stay on the island. That is 30,000 people.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 05:36:50 PM »
Keep your heads down peeps and stay safe. :(

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2008, 05:37:41 PM »
Here's a pic my dad sent me today that came from the Space Shuttle.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 05:39:16 PM by Miss Mia »
Stink Eye

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 05:40:42 PM »
Cool pic, but scary!

Stay safe you gulf coasters.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 05:45:36 PM »

KC

KC

No, I don't believe I have.  I just take 190 from Huntsville over to Woodville.  I rarely stop along that part of the drive.  I just haul ass in my Beetle.  :)

Well then you have driven right by my place.  When you are on the 'Big Bridge' on 190 before you get to Onalaska I am about 3 miles north of that bridge on the west side of the lake.  I'm fixing to upload some pics ... hopefully I will be able to find this thread later and update these pics.  I just went to my office and got my digi cam.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2008, 05:47:02 PM »
Well then you have driven right by my place.  When you are on the 'Big Bridge' on 190 before you get to Onalaska I am about 3 miles north of that bridge on the west side of the lake.  I'm fixing to upload some pics ... hopefully I will be able to find this thread later and update these pics.  I just went to my office and got my digi cam.

KC

Of course you will, it's been stuck to the top of the forum.  :wink:  It's not going anywhere, anytime soon.
Stink Eye

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2008, 05:53:29 PM »
These pictures are taken out of my back yard looking north.

You can see in this picture the lake is just starting to kick up a little.

The pampas grass is starting to blow a little bit.

I'll try to post more as we go along.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 05:55:30 PM »

KC

Of course you will, it's been stuck to the top of the forum.  :wink:  It's not going anywhere, anytime soon.

Well, being the idiot I am I always click on 'Unread Posts' .... I have to remember what category this topic is in.   :-)

KC

*Stolen

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2008, 05:57:40 PM »
Off topic, but Texacon...you have a beautiful view in your backyard.  Rolling Hills and a Golf Course...I hate you... :tongue:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 05:58:53 PM »
Off topic, but Texacon...you have a beautiful view in your backyard.  Rolling Hills and a Golf Course...I hate you... :tongue:

I am truly blessed my dear!  Thanks for the compliment.  I LOVE Waterwood. 

KC

*Stolen

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 06:02:43 PM »
The prediction is for 50-60 MPH winds and about 6" of rain for Casa de Undies tomorrow.  I pray for my BIG tree, my new roof, and my elderly fences.  I trust the power will be out,  We'll see.  

I live in a 500 year flood plain.  The last flood was around 1835.  I'm good for another 327 years.    

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 06:04:52 PM »
I was listenting to one of those live streams and I heard Geraldo say that the mayor of Gavleston said 40% of the residents had chosen to stay on the island. That is 30,000 people.

I can't believe that.  20% of them will die.