Author Topic: Documentarian Ken Burns brings 'Baseball' up to date with sequel  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
How does Ken Burns follow up on a baseball series that was seen by more than 43 million viewers and was the most-watched program in PBS history? He doesn't.
"We didn't want to do a sequel," says the 57-year-old documentary filmmaker. "We wanted something that would stand on its own and be a testament."

There was plenty of new material since Baseball was completed — a 1994 work stoppage that canceled the World Series, Roger Maris' single-season home run record shattered by Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa in 1998 and Barry Bonds in 2001, the ensuing steroid scandal that tainted them and the rising influence of Asian and Latino players — for a second baseball film.

Baseball: The Tenth Inning, which is broken into two two-hour installments, debuts Sept. 28 and 29 on PBS. Burns discussed it last week with USA TODAY.

LINK

Despite its flaws & obvious biases, the original was incredibly well worth watching.

And here's a drinking game you can play if you so desire:

One drink
Still frames of black-and-white photographs that were clearly taken after 1993
Far-off shot of children playing baseball very poorly
Daniel Okrent sitting in poor posture while being interviewed
The slight but nagging impression that Ken Burns believes that there is still a baseball team in Brooklyn

Two drinks
Sad child on screen when the word "strike" is uttered
Sports columnist remarking that we are all Steve Bartman in a way (I absolutely guarantee this will happen)
Doris Kearns Goodwin remarking that when the Red Sox won the World Series, she was happy
Pundit unconvincingly argues that baseball is the greatest sport, cites completely irrelevant facts (the grass is green and the field looks really nice, etc.)

Finish drink
Sunsets!
Surprise interview of George W. Bush
Surprise interview of Danny McBride
Documentary ends with someone playing "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" really, really slowly on a piano (also guaranteeing this)
You suddenly really, really wish that Ken Burns would do a documentary about pro wrestling
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender