Author Topic: Covid vaccine: Ohio lottery offers residents shot at $1m  (Read 869 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Covid vaccine: Ohio lottery offers residents shot at $1m
« on: May 13, 2021, 10:51:32 AM »
https://news.yahoo.com/covid-vaccine-ohio-lottery-offers-014334544.html

Wed, May 12, 2021, 8:43 PM·2 min read
Sami Bates, 27, receives her coronavirus vaccine in Ohio
Demand for Covid-19 vaccines have been falling across the US in recent weeks
The US state of Ohio will award cash prizes of $1m (£710,000) to five recipients of Covid-19 vaccines as part of a lottery launched to boost flagging up-take of jabs.

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said only adult residents who had had a vaccine would be eligible for the draw.

The first of five weekly drawings will be announced on 26 May, Mr DeWine said.

He said the lottery would be paid for by coronavirus relief funds from the federal government.

<<<SNIP>>>

This brings up a couple of questions;

1.  Is this even legal?  Was this part of the Biden Covid Plan?  Was money taken from taxpayers to offer it out on a lottery?!

2.  Why the desperation?  This just seems really odd and would make me not want to get the shot even more. 

Just my humble opinion.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Covid vaccine: Ohio lottery offers residents shot at $1m
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »
https://news.yahoo.com/covid-vaccine-ohio-lottery-offers-014334544.html

This brings up a couple of questions;

1.  Is this even legal?  Was this part of the Biden Covid Plan?  Was money taken from taxpayers to offer it out on a lottery?!

2.  Why the desperation?  This just seems really odd and would make me not want to get the shot even more. 

Just my humble opinion.

KC

Sounds hinky to me as well.  From what I only briefly read, the money is coming from the Ohio general fund and nothing to do with Federal COVID relief.

As to your other point, as long as the "lottery" is available to people who have already been vaccinated before offering this carrot to un-vaccinated people, it sounds OK but I'm still not a fan.

If a state started a lottery with only unvaccinated folks eligible for a reward, that would not be legal.  Similar to these goon libs who want to forgive student debt, and ignoring those of us who either had student debt and paid it off or never had loans to begin with.  If that the student loan debt forgiveness ever comes to fruition, millions of us deserve reparations.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2021, 12:25:45 PM »
Sounds hinky to me as well.  From what I only briefly read, the money is coming from the Ohio general fund and nothing to do with Federal COVID relief.

As to your other point, as long as the "lottery" is available to people who have already been vaccinated before offering this carrot to un-vaccinated people, it sounds OK but I'm still not a fan.

If a state started a lottery with only unvaccinated folks eligible for a reward, that would not be legal.  Similar to these goon libs who want to forgive student debt, and ignoring those of us who either had student debt and paid it off or never had loans to begin with.  If that the student loan debt forgiveness ever comes to fruition, millions of us deserve reparations.

Yeah, in the article DeWine says they're going to use federal Covid money to pay for it.  Not Ohio money, everyone's money. 

As to who is eligible, it says they're going to use
The pool of names entered into the lottery will be drawn from the state's voter registration database, Mr DeWine said.
so if you're not registered, you're not eligible. 

Wonder if there will be any lawsuits over this.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 01:22:53 PM »

Yeah, in the article DeWine says they're going to use federal Covid money to pay for it.  Not Ohio money, everyone's money. 

As to who is eligible, it says they're going to use  so if you're not registered, you're not eligible. 

Wonder if there will be any lawsuits over this.

KC
Ugh, bad idea on more than one level. Federal money??? And a terrible way of incentivizing something that is not for everyone.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »
Ugh, bad idea on more than one level. Federal money??? And a terrible way of incentivizing something that is not for everyone.

Think about being immunocompromised and not being able to get a vaccine that you would like to have AND not having a shot at the $1MM lottery for having taken the shot?

I still think there could/should be lawsuits over this, and I would love to have an accounting of how they're spending my federal tax dollars.  I pay them a bunch every single year.  Unfortunately I'm too poor to pay for the loophole finders, but too rich to get by paying just a little.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 05:58:51 PM »
KC, I think it's pretty much a given that a person can't take a dump any more without someone else suing them. Of course there'll be a lawsuit. Or a dozen.  :p
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.