Author Topic: Sorry, folks, but the Republican Party is not on its death bed.  (Read 3616 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Sorry, folks, but the Republican Party is not on its death bed.
« on: October 30, 2019, 09:20:35 PM »
Garrett78 (9,269 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212638096

Sorry, folks, but the Republican Party is not on its death bed.

I see post after post after post suggesting that the Republican Party is done for, or that it will be if it doesn't remove Trump from office. That idea is comforting, but it isn't rooted in reality. Demographic change isn't sufficient given our broken system.

The demise of the Republican Party has been predicted for decades. Without major reform of our tyranny of the minority political system (such reform is virtually impossible for the very reasons why reform is so desperately needed), without public education reform, without media reform and without putting an end to what is essentially election fraud (voter suppression, foreign interference, dark money, gerrymandering), the GOP will live on. It's ethically bankrupt but it will continue to be a major player. The GOP, as batshit crazy as it's become, currently holds more power nationwide (state legislatures, governorships, etc.) than the Democratic Party. As more and more of the population lives in a disproportionately small number of states, the problem will worsen.

2020 may go really well for us, but between all of the aforementioned issues and an incredibly ignorant public with the attention span of a gnat, the Republican Party isn't anywhere close to being laid to rest. And after Trump is gone, the "everything is back to normal" narrative will dominate, unless Democrats are vigilant in pushing back and establish a different narrative (even then, we're dependent on the profit-driven media to speak the truth).

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Star Member DownriverDem (3,496 posts)

59. Sadly the Electoral College favors trump.

:???:

Star Member RKP5637 (56,701 posts)

62. It's a horrible system. Absolutely ridiculous in the 21st century! n/t

:thatsright:

Garrett78 (9,269 posts)

72. The electoral college favors Republicans, regardless of the nominees.

That's not to say we can't win in spite of the electoral college. We obviously can. But the system favors the Republican Party.

But getting rid of the electoral college, a remnant of slavery, is next to impossible. That's one of those aspects of our tyranny of the minority system that is virtually impossible to reform for the very reasons why reform is so badly needed.

TheRealNorth (1,522 posts)

2. I agree with you

The problem is that the Deplorables make up a significant portion of the voting population and are well funded by a few extremely Rich people.

:whatever:

Garrett78 (9,269 posts)

6. And they are more evenly distributed.

There are more blue people than red people but more red states than blue states. A problem that is only growing.

The days of being able to "reach across the aisle" are gone. One party isn't acting in good faith. It's been completely corrupted. This is an incredibly discomforting reality, so people don't want to talk about it. But that won't make it go away.

FormerDittoHead (5,130 posts)

3. Republicans will continue to be a threat just for the Senate imbalance.

Everything you said plus the basic structure of our government with the Senate.

Wyoming and Alaska get as many Senatorial votes as California and New York State combined.

For those 4 states, that makes like a 40:1 imbalance that Republicans get, disenfranchising tens of millions.

Only a constitutional amendment would change that, and you'd need the cooperation of the small states to do it.

Star Member SWBTATTReg (7,934 posts)

8. Well, personally I think economic trends will drive migration of more democrats (and thus... the democratic party) into more 'red' areas, as the cost of living gets more and more unaffordable to more and more people seeking to live in these areas (CA, NY, Florida (there are still some affordable areas in FL from what my friends tell me), etc.). I wouldn't be able to afford to live in some of these areas now.

So... let me get this right... YOU ARE SAYING that the Democratic states are economic hellholes and people are moving to cheaper, better run Republican states?  :rotf:

shockey80 (2,707 posts)

10. The Republican party has already died.

What you are seeing is not the Republican party. I don't know what to call it.

Star Member lunatica (44,326 posts)

14. I was thinking of writing an opinion on the Republican Party's demise and inevitable reinvention.

We are wise to look carefully at which players are beginning to quietly sound the death knell of the present party. They are in the process of jockeying themselves as the leaders of the re-emerging GOP. Not yet formed, they will allow the present members who slavishly back Trump to kill the party as it stands today. But some are emerging to mildly criticize Trump publicly, quietly backed by their supporters who stand behind them during hardly noticeable press conferences while they claim Trump goes too far by criticizing military figures he considers his enemies.

One such press conference was Liz Cheney’s recent press conference in which she criticized the Democrats before mildly criticizing Trump for attacking Vindman’s patriotism.

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/467897-liz-cheney-condemns-attacks-on-vindmans-patriotism

The really nasty Republicans are already working to re-create the Republican Party. Not to make it more benign, but to replace Trump with someone who knows what they’re doing.

We best keep our eyes open. Trump has outlived his usefulness which has been so immensely beneficial to them. Their next pick will be a lot smarter. He/she may even be received as benevolent.

Andy823 (10,211 posts)

16. They sure smell like it

Sure they will continue to lie, cheat and find new ways to steal offices, but it will also take a long time to get the smell of trump out!

They now are the "trump" party and the longer they let him get away with his illegal activities, the hard it will be for them to disown him.

Star Member Thunderbeast (759 posts)

25. I have otherwise intelligent friends and relatives

that buy the whole Trump Dogma. They parrot the Fox News lies. They buy all the conspiracy crap..and above all THEY HAVE A VISCERAL HATE for every Democratic leader. Their cohort of Facebook friends confirms their belief system.

I got a meme post this week declaring that "Obama gave BinLaden a funeral while Trump called AlBaghdadi a whimpering dog".

This was a cause for outrage and celebration of Trump's inate wisdom.

Star Member kimbutgar (11,357 posts)

41. I agree

In 2008, I remember Chris Matthews saying the repuke party was dead with the election of President Obama. They came back in 2010 stronger with citizens united and has controlled at least two branches ever since. Their right wing media industrial complex has ensured that generations of repukes will be like vampires coming back from the dead. Unless we get some type of fairness doctrine and regulations on social media back the US is doomed to morass of idiocy and corruption.

Yeehah (221 posts)

78. Tens of millions of stupid, gullible people in the USA

And they're having kids.

Nope, the traitorous republican party isn't going anywhere.

:mental:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Sorry, folks, but the Republican Party is not on its death bed.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 10:30:26 PM »
Quote from:
Thunderbeast

..and above all THEY HAVE A VISCERAL HATE for every Democratic leader.

Coming from a primitive living in the land of hate all things conservative/Republican, that's funny!

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 12:57:15 AM »
>Garrett78 (9,269 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212638096.  I see post after post after post suggesting that the Republican Party is done for, or that it will be if it doesn't remove Trump from office. That idea is comforting, but it isn't rooted in reality.

Five to one, baby, One in five, No one here gets out alive.
The old get old, And the young get stronger
May take a week, And it may take longer, 
We got the guns...you ain't got the numbers....

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 08:21:43 AM »
That idea is comforting, but it isn't rooted in reality.
There are a lot of things the DUmmies say that this could get applied. A mole should just respond to every stupid DU post with that.

Example:
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100212640389
John Kerry: Some evidence against Trump 'more powerful than the Nixon impeachment
Dennis Donovan (11,237 posts)

1. "the evidence has to be examined"?

Has he not been watching the same proceedings we have?

The evidence, so far, has been overwhelmingly damning for Trump.
Reply from Mole: "That idea is comforting, but it isn't rooted in reality."

Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 08:37:42 AM »
Wow! "Garrett78" started off good, and then dove into their fascistic septic tank:

The demise of the Republican Party has been predicted for decades. Without major reform of our tyranny of the minority political system (such reform is virtually impossible for the very reasons why reform is so desperately needed), without public education reform, without media reform and without putting an end to what is essentially election fraud (voter suppression, foreign interference, dark money, gerrymandering), the GOP will live on. It's ethically bankrupt but it will continue to be a major player. The GOP, as batshit crazy as it's become, currently holds more power nationwide (state legislatures, governorships, etc.) than the Democratic Party. As more and more of the population lives in a disproportionately small number of states, the problem will worsen.

Until Dems, Libs, and Progs reconcile themselves to the simple fact that tens of millions of decent, intelligent people in all 50 states plus territories reject Dem ideas and candidates for decent, intelligent reasons, the Dems will continue sabotaging themselves.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
Liberals: We lost! The system is broken!   :mental:

“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »
An excellent article by Walter Williams was published in The Daily Signal.
It covers the Electoral College quite well.
Www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/why-we-are-republic-not-democracy

Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 06:14:01 PM »
A correction:
TheRealNorth (1,522 posts)

2. I agree with you

The problem is that the Deplorables make up a significant portion of the voting population and are well funded by a few extremely Rich people.themselves.

Another:
They came back in 2010 stronger with citizens united The TEA party.

Offline jukin

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 06:37:14 PM »
I'm so old I remember when the republican party was done in 2008. 

Then 2010 came at the country's biggest landslide happened... for the republicans.  They won 30+ state houses and senates, governors, took back the HOR and took apart the demofascist senate almost filibuster proof senate.

I forgot the numbers and won't bother looking them up but IIRC it was like over 700 seats changed hands. Such was the power of Shit Midas, Reid and Palsi.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline landofconfusion80

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 09:11:38 PM »
I'm so old I remember when the republican party was done in 2008. 

Then 2010 came at the country's biggest landslide happened... for the republicans.  They won 30+ state houses and senates, governors, took back the HOR and took apart the demofascist senate almost filibuster proof senate.

I forgot the numbers and won't bother looking them up but IIRC it was like over 700 seats changed hands. Such was the power of Shit Midas, Reid and Palsi.
Another interesting take on this by tim pool

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gn9hZIS54aI
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 10:56:37 PM »
> Star Member DownriverDem (3,496 posts)  Sadly the Electoral College favors trump.

Be thankful commie.  Otherwise the cities of commies would need neutralized.

Leave if the USA is not your sack of tea.