Author Topic: Hey young folks, want to let mom and dad move in for the duration???  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Vagabond

Re: Hey young folks, want to let mom and dad move in for the duration???
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 07:15:51 AM »
I had a long conversation with my wife years ago about our parents.  I told her back then that they could live with us, so long as they were not a physical danger to our family and didn't require specialized care.  Years go by and things change, I pretty much expect my sister to take care of my parents now.  She has two kids, but has never left the house and has little prospect of marriage.  My wife's parents are different.  I wouldn't trust either of their sons, so what I told my wife stands.

I;ve taken a beating in the 401k's and I know I am taking a chance with keeping them.  Pelosi wants to loot them, but I don't think she dares.  I have 30 year horizon on all of my investments just yet.
There comes a time when even good men must run up the black flag of anarchy and slit throats. - H.L. Mencken

Offline 5412

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 07:46:22 AM »
I had a long conversation with my wife years ago about our parents.  I told her back then that they could live with us, so long as they were not a physical danger to our family and didn't require specialized care.  Years go by and things change, I pretty much expect my sister to take care of my parents now.  She has two kids, but has never left the house and has little prospect of marriage.  My wife's parents are different.  I wouldn't trust either of their sons, so what I told my wife stands.

I;ve taken a beating in the 401k's and I know I am taking a chance with keeping them.  Pelosi wants to loot them, but I don't think she dares.  I have 30 year horizon on all of my investments just yet.

Hi,

I would offer this suggestion.  You can hedge your bets in 401k's can't you?  Better to invest in money market funds etc for the moment....or find some stuff that will rise with inflation as the dollar becomes worthless.

regards,

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2009, 06:27:00 PM »
Hi,

I can't imagine this is a friend from high school who happens to be married to "Toots", that would be quite a coincidence....

regards,

I sorta doubt it. Been quite a while since I been in high school. Over 35 years as a matter of fact!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline 5412

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 09:37:51 PM »
I sorta doubt it. Been quite a while since I been in high school. Over 35 years as a matter of fact!

Hi,

We had our 50th class reunion last summer.  One of my good friends from high school has been "Toots" as long as I have known her which is a long, long time.  She married another high school classmate of mine and they have a home in IL right down the block from us.  I was surprised when you referred to "Toots"......it would indeed have been a small world were you the person I went to high school with.

regards,

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2009, 06:27:02 AM »
Hi,

One of the reasons to get your IRA offshore is this.  Pelosi has been quoted as saying that she wants to confiscate all the million of dollars in  401K's and IRA and replace them with government IOU's.  If she had her way, the government would replace all your investments with government worthless bonds.

Can you just imagine what that would do to the stock market??

regards,

The government IOUs certainly harks back to some of the less-well-considered fiscal antics of the English crown in the 17th and 18th Centuries, it was a disaster then and would be a much bigger one now.

I'm not sure how much more top end there is in gold, if Obama doesn't succeed in destroying the economy and a recovery actually gets off the ground late this year, it will top out or possibly even deflate.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.