Author Topic: There's a lot of demoralized Republicans in my office today.  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
There's a lot of demoralized Republicans in my office today.
« on: August 31, 2012, 10:13:06 PM »
apnu (4,796 posts)

There's a lot of demoralized Republicans in my office today.

I work in a place that is easily 90% Republican and 70% hard right conservative. They are all fiscal conservatives and chicken hawks -- but they don't care for nor understand social conservative issues.

I'm one of the only 'out' liberals in the office willing to discuss and even debate issues. So I hear a lot of chatter both directed at me, but more often, amongst themselves.

Today, they are demoralized about Romney. They recognize how poorly run Romney's campaign is. They gnash their teeth at the lack of policy in Romney's 'plans' They want to have this election be a referendum on Obama's policies and leadership, but Romney's giving them nothing to hang on to. One guy has been sending pissed off emails to the Romney campaign demanding actual policy almost daily.

They are also fed up with partisan bickering and the polarization in Washington. One manager said to me today: "we've forgotten how to compromise, we can't run the country like this" And then he went off on the Republican congress over that. He also went on to gripe about the mendacity of Republicans, railed about 'fact checkers' for a bit and when I pointed out how sad our culture is that we need fact checkers, that our media fails to fact check a speech, he nodded and said "can you imagine what would happen to a politician 30 years ago if he was caught in a lie? He'd be destroyed! Now Ryan can lie and no one cares!"

They're voting Romney, they can't pull the lever for Obama -- they're too far away form the President because of a steady diet of Fox News, Drudge and the National Review. However, they have zero enthusiasm for this GOP ticket. That's my main point here. They want to know where Romney stands on anything, they also want to know what, exactly, they plan to do with the markets if elected. They're pissed off at the lack of substance and are sick of the platitudes and red meat being hurled at them.

Much has been made about Obama's 'enthusiasm gap' from his 2008 highs, but I'm seeing amongst my small and very localized sample set, a significant enthusiasm gap for the whole Republican party amongst the fiscal conservatives.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/125182335

The stories they have to tell themselves to keep their hopes up.
 :mental:

What I'm finding funny is they keep claiming that Romney isn't offering anything specific when 0bama himself has never offered anything specific. He won the white house merely on chanting hope and change. Now that he has almost 4 years under his belt he is running on the republicans are bad, and nothing about what he is going to do.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Bad Dog

• God help me I do love it so
Re: There's a lot of demoralized Republicans in my office today.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 11:00:53 PM »
It's no wonder O'bummer is out raising Mitt & shooting ahead in the polls.  What with Conservatives so demoralized & all.   :mental:

Offline Jasonw560

• Is a Juke Box
  • PhD from Sarcastic State
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 11:10:48 PM »
This one conservative that S/H/It says is firing off hate emails demanding actual issues can do that, but not go to Romney's website, click on "issues", then click on the particular issue they want to see his stance on?

These bouncys are pathetic. This one is just so transparently false it's sad. They could at least add one modicum of truth to them. My cat could tell this one was fake.

All the Republicans I know who watched the convention range from ecstatic to cautiously optimistic.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-Aristotle

"Metaphors needn't be explained to educated people"-Ted
Nugent

"Life ain't fair. Get over it or wear a helmet" -diesel driver

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Re: There's a lot of demoralized Republicans in my office today.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »
DUmmies whistling past the graveyard.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Kyle Ricky

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 11:53:48 PM »
 :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

They seriously aren't trying anymore. It must be because they know obama is going to lose.

Offline 98ZJUSMC

• The Most Deplorable
  • Now, with 99% less yellow!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 03:45:35 AM »
This one conservative that S/H/It says is firing off hate emails demanding actual issues can do that, but not go to Romney's website, click on "issues", then click on the particular issue they want to see his stance on?

These bouncys are pathetic. This one is just so transparently false it's sad. They could at least add one modicum of truth to them. My cat could tell this one was fake.

All the Republicans I know who watched the convention range from ecstatic to cautiously optimistic.

The wish-casting in this one is epic.

Liberal thinking is a two-legged stool and magical thinking is one of the legs, the other is a combination of self-loating and misanthropy.  To understand it, you would have to be able to sit on that stool while juggling two elephants, an anvil and a fragmentation grenade, sans pin.

"Accuse others of what you do." - Karl Marx

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 05:24:41 AM »
Another potential best selling fiction author wasting his talents at DU.   :whatever:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 05:25:46 AM »
I'm a conservative who never liked Romney.

But I'm not demoralized at all. I LOVED the convention. My blood got boiling, and I gladly contributed to the campaign. The convention made ready to rumble!

Romney gained a lot of respect in my eyes by not giving into democrat demands over the tax thing, and by fighting back against the lies. Not being a limp McCain is what I wanted.

Sure, I'm not getting a conservative with Romney...but I'm not getting a Hugo Chavez either. Further Paul Ryan is set up for a solid conservative presidency in the future.

conservatism is not the issue here. Obama is poised to destroy America. THAT is what is going to be decided in this election. We will likely win, but the democrat agenda is now exposed: they want a communist state. That agenda will be a part of all future elections.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
I'm a conservative who never liked Romney.

But I'm not demoralized at all. I LOVED the convention. My blood got boiling, and I gladly contributed to the campaign. The convention made ready to rumble!

Romney gained a lot of respect in my eyes by not giving into democrat demands over the tax thing, and by fighting back against the lies. Not being a limp McCain is what I wanted.

Sure, I'm not getting a conservative with Romney...but I'm not getting a Hugo Chavez either. Further Paul Ryan is set up for a solid conservative presidency in the future.

conservatism is not the issue here. Obama is poised to destroy America. THAT is what is going to be decided in this election. We will likely win, but the democrat agenda is now exposed: they want a communist state. That agenda will be a part of all future elections.

I didn't like Romney at the start. The more DU and their ilk attached him, the more he sort of grew on me. I only watched the last day of the convention, including Clint's speech, and came away from it even more willing to vote for Romney.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 08:27:24 AM »
Good grief. More lies of desperation.
Keep thinking that DUmpmonkeys. :rotf:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 09:28:13 AM »

:rofl:

Now Ryan can lie and no one cares!
   :o :o

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/083012-624188-so-called-fact-checks-disguise-media-liberal-agenda.htm

If media "fact checkers" are just impartial guardians of the truth, how come they got their own facts wrong about Paul Ryan's speech, and did so in a way that helped President Obama's re-election effort?

Case in point was the rush of "fact check" stories claiming Ryan misled when he talked about a shuttered auto plant in his home state.

Also, the plant didn't close in December 2008. It was still producing cars until April 2009.

An AP "fact check" also claimed that "the plant halted production in December 2008" even though the AP itself reported in April 2009 that the plant was only then "closing for good."

Media fact-checkers also complained about Ryan's charge that Obama is cutting $716 billion from Medicare to fund ObamaCare. Not true, they said.

In a November 2009 interview with ABC News, reporter Jake Tapper said to Obama that "one-third of the funding comes from cuts to Medicare," to which Obama's response was: "Right."

The problem is that the mainstream press is now abusing the "fact check" label, using it to more aggressively push a liberal agenda without feeling the need to provide any balance whatsoever. And, as the reaction to the Ryan speech shows, they are now blatantly using it to provide air support for Obama.

His bouncy fails horribly.     :rotf:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »
I know LOTS of republicans. I know none who are demoralized. Most are coming around to actually LIKE Romney.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »
I know LOTS of republicans. I know none who are demoralized. Most are coming around to actually LIKE Romney.

I saw Romney in a campaign stop in Cincinatti this morning (on FNC).  He was fired up.  If he keeps that up, this is going to be a fun campaign to watch.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Evil_Conservative

• Oh snap!
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 12:16:19 PM »
Nice.

I think I'm going to put up a Paul Ryan picture in my cubicle so I can find all of the liberals in my office.
You may call me Jessica or Jess.

Offline Ausonius

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 12:21:01 PM »
I saw Romney in a campaign stop in Cincinnati this morning (on FNC).  He was fired up.  If he keeps that up, this is going to be a fun campaign to watch.

Glad to hear it!  Interesting that the Wall Street Journal has an editorial in the weekend edition warning that Romney must become more specific about his agenda, that the vagueness of the convention speeches must give way to something meatier.

An excerpt:

Perhaps this is how it will all turn out, but someone should point out that this policy-free zone is risky in its own way. By failing to explain his own agenda, Mr. Romney has left an opening for Democrats and Mr. Obama to define it instead. We wouldn't be surprised to see them pivot away from personal attacks on Mr. Romney and Bain next week and devote all of their time to assailing his policies...They'll say he wants to favor his rich friends and political donors, that he'll loot the middle class and brutalize the poor with spending cuts on everything from disaster relief (see Louisiana) to Pell grants to food stamps.

Meanwhile, Mr. Obama will explain in glorious detail all of the "investments" he wants to make in schools, roads, college tuition, medical research, electric cars—which Mr. Romney's "savage" cuts would take away.

These Democratic attacks will be caricatures or worse. But they will have a blank canvass on which to paint because Mr. Romney did so little to explain what he would do

See:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577623702131613774.html
"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 01:14:55 PM »
Glad to hear it!  Interesting that the Wall Street Journal has an editorial in the weekend edition warning that Romney must become more specific about his agenda, that the vagueness of the convention speeches must give way to something meatier.

An excerpt:

See:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444914904577623702131613774.html
You must be kidding.  Someone in the media criticizing a Republican???  No way!!   :sarcasm:

::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline jukin

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
Not a single bit of reality in that bouncy.

Can't wait to see how big the gap in funding for R2 and the RNC versus Mr. Empty Chair and the communists this month is. I'm going to go with 50-60% gap.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 01:37:07 PM »
I take exception to the OP's assertion owebuma got elected only on the 2 chants...
hope
change

He also had yes we canny, and owe bum a

Plus, his minions have cleverly combined some single word chants, for example hopey change, changey hope.
They are so creative.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.