Author Topic: Ms. Ed wonders what she would do  (Read 505 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Ms. Ed wonders what she would do
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6330921

Oh my.

Ms. Ed, the unappellated eohippus, the biggest liar on Skins's island:

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-17-09 06:53 PM
Original message

What would you do? Psst...Allstate does NOT support our troops

Family member in carwreck. Breaks back. Driver of car they are riding in is responsible. Above said person has been deployed and just got car out of storage on a Friday evening (accident happens 5 hours later) and the only coverage is comprehensive--no liability.

I have health insurance--when we get to the ER I am told that it won't be covered by my medical insurance, it has to be covered by auto.

So, finding out they didn't have insurance, I contacted my auto insurance company.

They tell me that my uninsured motorist will take care of it BUT they will aggressively pursue and TAKE their recoverable costs from the soldier by means of payroll deduction.

However, they state that the USUAL policy on deployment insurance is that the soldier must notify them within 24 hours of taking their vehicle out of storage...and that coverage is bound for that 24 hours. So it appears that you are NOT in good hands with Allstate.

When I spoke with the adjuster today and he told me they weren't covering the at-fault driver, I told them that it was sure nice to know that Allstate was taking good care of our military after they have been deployed.

I hate like hell doing this knowing that this kid isn't going to get a paycheck and it pisses me off because I can't afford to pay it out of pocket and it pisses me off that Allstate is going to do this to the kid when they certainly could do what every other insurance company does and bind coverage for 24 hours.

**** Allstate.

Details, please.  franksolich read this three times, and noticed omissions.

ejpoeta  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-17-09 07:00 PM
Response to Original message

1. here is part of the problem!!! if you have health insurance, why the hell do you HAVE to go through the auto!!! that's bullshit. You have health insurance... it should cover whatever happens.

FLDCVADem (189 posts)      Mon Aug-17-09 07:04 PM

3. They will have an incredibly tough time taking that money from the soldier's paycheck, if they are able to at all. The military isn't going to garnish military pay just on the word of Allstate.

FarCenter (1000+ posts)      Mon Aug-17-09 07:50 PM

5. Why would anyone buy comprehensive but not liability?

In this state it isn't legal to register a car without liability insurance.

Auto insurance has four main parts: liability, medical, collision, and comprehensive.

If the car is older, and you can stand the loss in case of accident, you should drop the collision (pays for repairs to your car in case of accident) and comprehensive (pays for loss due to fire, storms, vandalism, etc.).

But you should always have liability (pays for medical costs and auto repairs of others involved in a collision in which you are at fault) and medical (pays for your own and your occupants medical costs).

Horse with no Name  (1000+ posts)        Mon Aug-17-09 07:53 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. That's what deployment insurance is

They basically only pay a minimal fee when they are deployed since the car is not being driven--then when they get the car out of storage, they have to reactivate their insurance. This is where my insurance says they give 24 hours...and apparently Allstate doesn't give ANY time for them to do it.

For the record, Ms. Ed allegedly has a brother on active duty in the military, but I don't see quite where he fits into this saga.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Ms. Ed wonders what she would do
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:16:06 PM »
Family member in carwreck. Breaks back. Driver of car they are riding in is responsible. Above said person has been deployed and just got car out of storage on a Friday evening (accident happens 5 hours later) and the only coverage is comprehensive--no liability.

I have health insurance--when we get to the ER I am told that it won't be covered by my medical insurance, it has to be covered by auto.

Okay explain to me how her insurance would ever be involved?

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
I think she has woven a tangled web.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »
I think she has woven a tangled web.

I'm wondering if Ms. Ed's daughter has a boyfriend in the military.

This is about the only way the tale makes sense.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »
I'm wondering if Ms. Ed's daughter has a boyfriend in the military.

This is about the only way the tale makes sense.

That might make sense but even still there is no story here,she says her uninsured motorist will cover it.
Now of course with auto insurance they will come back on you so am surprised that they haven`t demanded free autocare yet.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:45:19 AM »
That might make sense but even still there is no story here,she says her uninsured motorist will cover it.
Now of course with auto insurance they will come back on you so am surprised that they haven`t demanded free autocare yet.

Why not, the ONE already owns GM.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 03:45:29 AM »
Is she claiming COMPREHENSIVE doesn't include liability?
–adjective
1.    of large scope; covering or involving much; inclusive: a comprehensive study of world affairs.
2.    comprehending mentally; having an extensive mental range or grasp.
3.    Insurance. covering or providing broad protection against loss.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.