Author Topic: S.A.L.T. in the wounds...  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
S.A.L.T. in the wounds...
« on: December 20, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210005405

Wed Dec 20, 2017, 08:18 AM
Star Member kentuck (83,360 posts)

State and Local Taxes.

Republicans conspired about how best to hurt people in NY, NJ, IL, CA, and states that are able to deduct state and local taxes when filing their tax returns. This will teach those "godless liberals" in those blue states!

This will hurt not only the wealthy homeowners in these states but many middle-class homeowners. California is considering making these taxes a "charitable" deduction so that they can still be deducted. This feature in the Republican tax scam has created a real mess for these states.

They called it "tax reform". It was more of a "Screw you!" tax plan if you lived in these high tax states and you can no longer deduct your SALT on your tax filings.

Democrats should promise real "tax reform". We need to be much more progressive. The wealthy need to pay a much higher rate. Loopholes need to be closed. We need a much fairer system.

Hey, kentuck, a couple of things I'd like to point out and it's something that has been bothering me a lot.  It seems the 'reality and fact based' community of DU has been purposely avoiding something about these SALT deductions and I kind of wonder why.

1.)  Taxes are a GOOD thing.  Why would you cry about not being able to claim the taxes you paid to your state as a federal deduction?  I don't get that.

2.)  Since it WAS a federal deduction, do you DU folk realize the rest of the country was SUBSIDIZING these states?  Yeah, that's how that was working.  These states are spending WAY too much money and rather than cutting their spending they raise their taxes on their constituents.  Then those people get to charge the rest of us who live in fiscally responsible states to cover the bullshit their state is spending money on. 

Now, is there anyone at DU that would like to come over and tell me how the red states are the 'takers'?  You've been subsidized for your reckless spending for far too long.  This tax reform may open the eyes of some of your politicians, but I doubt it. 

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
Re: S.A.L.T. in the wounds...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 07:53:52 AM »

Now, is there anyone at DU that would like to come over and tell me how the red states are the 'takers'?  You've been subsidized for your reckless spending for far too long.  This tax reform may open the eyes of some of your politicians, but I doubt it. 

KC
I have heard the left say that before, that red states get net more from the Feds than they put in. Has anyone figured if that is true and if so, is it still true after the SALT deduction is figured in?
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 07:54:09 AM »
Drove by the hospital on my way to work this A.M. and so far no signs of bodies in the trees or ice trucks in the parking lot for the the expected apocalypse. 

I suppose it is possible to be a dead demonrat and still be able to walk around looking for a brain.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline FiddyBeowulf

• "Its on, its off, its on, its off." "That is called blinking, boys."
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 08:10:06 AM »
Drove by the hospital on my way to work this A.M. and so far no signs of bodies in the trees or ice trucks in the parking lot for the the expected apocalypse. 

I suppose it is possible to be a dead demonrat and still be able to walk around looking for a brain.
Considering all the people who died when Trump was elected, pulled out of the Paris climate accords and ended Net Neutrality I do not think anyone is left.
Fire...BAD!!! - John Fetterman

The policies that are indorsed by this party, that they backer of which are much of the 1 percent, causes a social structure much like the one back before the Revolution.

-Words of wisdom from Lady Freedom Returns

"Arguing with liberals...it's like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious." -- Anonymous

"A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat." - P. J. O'Rourke

Offline SVPete

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 08:21:10 AM »
Star Member kentuck (83,360 posts)

State and Local Taxes.

Republicans conspired about how best to hurt people in NY, NJ, IL, CA, and states that are able to deduct state and local taxes when filing their tax returns. This will teach those "godless liberals" in those blue states!

This will hurt not only the wealthy homeowners in these states but many middle-class homeowners. California is considering making these taxes a "charitable" deduction so that they can still be deducted. This feature in the Republican tax scam has created a real mess for these states.

1, I thought paying more taxes was a good thing, kt. What's with the complaints against "NY, NJ, IL, CA, and (other high-tax) states" getting more of your good thing?

2. CA can call its taxes ketchup, but that doesn't force the IRS to recognize CA taxes as a tomato-and-vinegar-based condiment. Not that I think Sacramento D pols are smart enough to figure that out.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 08:27:50 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Undies

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 08:23:34 AM »

12 dead on my street.

No -wait!  those are piles of leaves.

Never mind.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 08:23:45 AM »
I have heard the left say that before, that red states get net more from the Feds than they put in. Has anyone figured if that is true and if so, is it still true after the SALT deduction is figured in?

From some of the research I did in the past, it wasn't true even without the SALT deductions.  CA is one of the states the left likes to tout that sends more than it gets, which if I'm remembering right, that was false.  They also like to claim TX as one of the takers, which I know is false.

If this tax reform doesn't wake some people up to what their states are doing, I don't know what it will take.  Those states will probably end up with bigger exoduses than they have now.  The problem I have with that is a lot of those from CA are migrating to TX and they're bringing their voting habits with them.  I don't think they should be allowed to vote in statewide elections for anything for at least 5 years until they learn how things work around here.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 08:48:54 AM »

Exactly, those states are run by demoncrats and they are the ones pissing away the hard earned money of those who live there. It is a case of the chickens coming home to roost. Let them live with it. :loser: :loser:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 09:08:49 AM »
They can still deduct up to $10K in "SALT".  Over that, too bad.
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2017, 09:22:33 AM »

I seriously doubt any of them itemize anyway, they are just looking for reasons to cry.

KC

*Stolen

Offline hillneck

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2017, 09:36:23 AM »
This will hurt not only the wealthy homeowners in these states

Since when have you idiots worried about people with wealth?  You morons are usually complaining they need to pay more.  Plus the smart ones will just move somewhere more friendly.
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 12:17:17 PM »

State and Local Taxes.

Republicans conspired about how best to hurt people in NY, NJ, IL, CA, and states that are able to deduct state and local taxes when filing their tax returns

Almost 90% of the SALT benefit goes to taxpayers with income higher than $100,000, according to the Tax Foundation.

Less than a third of taxpayers itemize deductions to begin with. Of those who do, nearly all of them take the SALT deduction.
http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/20/pf/salt-deductions-new-tax-plan/

If anything, this will only hurt those that the DUmmies call the "evil rich". I would think they would be all for it.