Author Topic: Monster bread  (Read 1816 times)

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
Monster bread
« on: April 06, 2011, 10:35:43 AM »
So I decided to make bread with the recipe from the 94 year old cook that makes depression foods from the 1930's.

What could be easier, a few cups of flour, some butter,, salt and a pinch of sugar's, warm water-- some yeast--neat.

I did the mixing up and did not follow her directions exactally but close.  I did add like add a quarter cup of sugar instead of the tablespoon and used a whole stick of butter, everything else was strict following of her recipe.
 Instead of all that needing, I just kept up mixing the stuff with a wood spoon, let it set to raise, remixed the stuff for a while then put into the bread pan, let it sit to raise some more and then baked the sucker.

I checked on the bread and found it was alarming, the damn stuff was blowing up, 6 inches over the top of the bread pan.   I took it out of the oven when the top just began to brown up, I was worried the darn thing would get any larger. 

At this time the bread--monster bread is cooling on a rack, the smell is wonderful, I cooked up some bacon to go with it, ---darn cooking is fun. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Re: Monster bread
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 12:00:09 PM »
Uh.....vesta?

The sugar in the recipe? That's what the yeast feeds from.

You basically gave the yeast to eat themselves out of house and home, ergo verily, the bread proofed waaaaay beyond what it was supposed to.

Baking is much more than adding some ingredients together in whatever way works for you.

They are formulas.

Did you know that, or were you just having some la-la fun?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Re: Monster bread
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:45:33 PM »
Uh.....vesta?

The sugar in the recipe? That's what the yeast feeds from.

You basically gave the yeast to eat themselves out of house and home, ergo verily, the bread proofed waaaaay beyond what it was supposed to.

Baking is much more than adding some ingredients together in whatever way works for you.

They are formulas.

Did you know that, or were you just having some la-la fun?

I am laughing my ass off.