Author Topic: 01-19 live thread for Massachusetts special election  (Read 33940 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
01-19 live thread for Massachusetts special election
« on: January 18, 2010, 09:39:27 PM »
I'm putting this up tonight, even though the polls don't open in the Bay State for some hours yet.

According to a headline on Drudge, Brown is up over Coakley by 9%.

Is this enough to defeat the machine?

I think it's close, but I'm not confident that it's enough to beat the machine.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: 01-19 live thread for Massachusetts special election
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »
Even the Daily Kooks have them in a tie.  The polls have exploded for Brown right now.

Monday, January 18
Brown +9
Brown +10
Brown +5
Brown +7
Tie

Sunday, January 17
Brown +10

Saturday, January 16
Brown +3

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latestpolls/2010.html
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 02:49:10 AM »
Can't sleep - will vote on my way back from dropping my son off at school.  I am voting for history today folks.   Please God let him win.  

Thanks Frank for starting this thread.  It is going to be a LONG day.  

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 03:02:37 AM »
Great Howie Carr article today, but this is a new gaffe for Marcia:

This is Martha yesterday on the voters she says are wrong: “I think they’re gonna send someone to Massachusetts who has a proven record.”

That would be you, Martha. You’ll be the one we “send” to Massachusetts. Scott Brown we’ll send to Washington.

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view.bg?articleid=1226579

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:05:24 AM »
Boston Globe hysteria -- last ditch attempt to get votes for Marcia:

Brown supporters trying to suppress vote by bullying <-- headline, do we really need to read this "opinion" piece?

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/01/18/brown_supporters_trying_to_suppress_vote_by_bullying/

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 03:12:22 AM »
Honest mistakes’: Martha Coakley failed to disclose all assets
By Jessica Van Sack  |   Friday, November 13, 2009  |  http://www.bostonherald.com  |  Local Politics

Attorney General Martha Coakley acknowledged yesterday she overlooked more than $200,000 in savings when she mistakenly claimed to have zero personal assets in a financial disclosure required of candidates for U.S. Senate.

http://bostonherald.com/news/politics/view.bg?articleid=1211553&format=text

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 03:50:40 AM »

Democrats can stop hoping at this point.

I can see no alternative scenario but a huge - staggeringly huge - victory for the FNC/RNC machine tomorrow. They crafted a strategy of total oppositionism to anything Obama proposed a year ago. Remember they gave him zero votes on even the stimulus in his first weeks. They saw health insurance reform as Obama's Waterloo, and, thanks in part to the dithering Democrats, they beat him on that hill. They have successfully channeled all the rage at the massive debt and recession the president inherited on Obama after just one year. If they can do that already, against the massive evidence against them, they have the power to wield populism to destroy any attempt by government to address any actual problems.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/p-j-gladnick/2010/01/18/boo-hoo-andrew-sullivan-mourns-looming-landslide-mass-election#ixzz0d3Bkn3BB

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 03:55:10 AM »
Can't sleep - will vote on my way back from dropping my son off at school.  I am voting for history today folks.   Please God let him win.  

Thanks Frank for starting this thread.  It is going to be a LONG day.

Yes, the voters of Massachusetts are voting for history today.

Shall the machine, or the people, prevail?

Shall the machine, or the rule of law, prevail?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 05:36:55 AM »
[youtube=425,350]xlfGjGBrNKg[/youtube]

:yawn:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 05:49:38 AM »
A new day is coming: restore faith and balance
By Scott Brown  |  January 14, 2010

I DIDN’T grow up with all the advantages in life. My mom was on welfare for a time, but I had the support of a loving family and good friends and neighbors. I don’t have all the advantages in this race either, and that’s fine by me. Being the underdog has taught me to work harder, and to appreciate the opportunities of our state and our country.

I’m running because more of our people are unemployed today than ever before. Public debt has reached $12 trillion and counting, and Washington politicians want to borrow trillions more. Terrorists want to strike our country again, and they will do so if we let down our guard. We have fighting forces in two theaters of war, and those men and women need our support.

Like everyone else, I want to see more Americans with good health care coverage. I like what we achieved in Massachusetts. It’s not perfect, but nearly everyone is now covered by a private insurance policy - not a government policy. I hope other states follow our example.

But the healthcare bill under discussion in Washington is not good. It will raise taxes and increase spending. If you are a senior on Medicare, it will lead to a half trillion dollars in cuts to your care. Since we are way ahead of the rest of the country with our own state reforms, we will get nothing in return. My opponent, Martha Coakley, will vote yes on this bill. I will insist we start over.

Failure should be admitted in Washington, and not repeated. With last month’s news that we lost another 85,000 jobs, and with unemployment stuck in the double digits, it’s time to admit that while the $787 billion stimulus had the best of intentions, it failed to create one new job. We shouldn’t pass yet another stimulus that adds to the debt without adding jobs.

My plan for the economy is simple: an across-the-board tax cut - in the tradition of John F. Kennedy - for families and businesses that will increase investment and lead to immediate new job growth. More tax increases will hurt our recovery. That’s why I have taken a no-new-tax pledge. My opponent will raise taxes.

Amid all our domestic challenges, our nation is still at war with radical Islamic terrorists determined to destroy our way of life. The Christmas bombing attempt on a Northwest Airlines plane is a wake-up call. But instead of being interrogated by military professionals at Guantanamo, the plane bomber has been given taxpayer-funded lawyers in a US courtroom. Because he’s been granted constitutional rights, he’s invoked his privilege to remain silent. Would-be killers should be treated for what they really are: enemies of a country at war, not ordinary criminals.

My opponent would accord such terrorists all the rights our Constitution grants to citizens. I will treat them as enemy combatants who should face military justice.

As this special election draws to a close, the enthusiasm from everyday citizens has been remarkable. To those who have lost faith in their elected leaders, I say: Don’t lose heart. One-party dominance in our state has led to bad decisions and a culture of corruption, but we can restore people’s faith by restoring balance to our political system.

They call me a long shot. But I’m betting that a new day is coming in Massachusetts. I am running in the name of all independent-thinking citizens, whether they are Democrats, Republicans, or unenrolled, to take on one-party rule, and the Beacon Hill bosses, and their machine, and their candidate. With your help, I intend to win.

Scott Brown is a Republican state senator from Wrentham.

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/01/14/a_new_day_is_coming_restore_faith_and_balance?mode=PF

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2010, 06:18:50 AM »
Anybody besides you, madam, actually on the ground there today?

I think there's about half a dozen members from your area, but don't know if they're there today.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 06:21:03 AM »
Win or lose, the Dems have lost their grip on reality now ...

Chris Van Hollen of Maryland, chairman of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee said THIS about Ted Kennedy's Senate seat...“Why would you hand the keys to the car back to the same guys whose policies drove the economy into the ditch and then walked away from the scene of the accident?” “For the Republicans to say vote for us and bring back the guys who got us into this mess in the first place, I don’t think it’s a winner.”

http://www.thefoxnation.com/massachusett-senate-race/2010/01/18/dems-make-unfortunate-kennedy-analogy

Offline Oceander

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 06:22:36 AM »
Democrats can stop hoping at this point.

I can see no alternative scenario but a huge - staggeringly huge - victory for the FNC/RNC machine tomorrow. They crafted a strategy of total oppositionism to anything Obama proposed a year ago. Remember they gave him zero votes on even the stimulus in his first weeks. They saw health insurance reform as Obama's Waterloo, and, thanks in part to the dithering Democrats, they beat him on that hill. They have successfully channeled all the rage at the massive debt and recession the president inherited on Obama after just one year. If they can do that already, against the massive evidence against them, they have the power to wield populism to destroy any attempt by government to address any actual problems.

Boy, somebody has his head so far up his rectum, I don't think even a surgical intervention would help at this point.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 06:59:53 AM »
According to reports from various members of freerepublic in Massachusetts, it appears voter turnout is very heavy, despite it still being early in the day.

And then this:

http://www.nationalreview.com/baystate/post/?q=ZTYyOTljM2M5OTdlMGEyZGYwOWE2YjA2MTRkNzNkMmE=

a report from MIT students.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 07:26:13 AM »
“Why would you hand the keys to the car back to the same guys whose policies drove the economy into the ditch and then walked away from the scene of the accident?”

Hey, Massachusetts kept electing Dead Teddy after he drove into a pond and walked away.  :-)

Offline whiffleball

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 07:38:35 AM »
http://bostonherald.com/news/politics/view.bg?articleid=1211553&format=text

Yeah, I'm always forgetting about that 200k I've got stashed.

All the best to those in MA today.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 08:59:50 AM »
Live thread here, with many anecdotal observations of the turnout, by people actually on the spot:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2431940/posts?page=1

It's grown into a massive thread.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2010, 09:29:49 AM »
We got one of these for the DUmpster forum?

A collection of special threads and posts as they watch.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 09:37:41 AM »
We got one of these for the DUmpster forum?

A collection of special threads and posts as they watch.

I'm looking for a live thread on Skins's island.

But given that a lock-down's anticipated later today, if I find it, I wonder if it's going to be possible to follow.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:40 AM »
I'm looking for a live thread on Skins's island.

But given that a lock-down's anticipated later today, if I find it, I wonder if it's going to be possible to follow.
Hopefully the moles will help us out.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 09:42:49 AM »
Turn out is very heavy in my small town -- and surrounding towns.    I was the 453rd voter (I just voted).   We usually get about 1,200 tops at our annual town elections.  We have two small precincts, and I would imagine that the other precinct has a similar number already.  

Big turnout today, but on my treck to the Boston area to drive my son to school the Brown signs far exceeded Coakley's signs.  

Offline Specbid

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 09:45:51 AM »
Live thread here, with many anecdotal observations of the turnout, by people actually on the spot:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2431940/posts?page=1

It's grown into a massive thread.

Can't connect. Wonder if FR still has a server down?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2010, 09:53:22 AM »
The closest thing to a live campfire on Skins's island:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7504364

City of Mills  (1000+ posts)        Tue Jan-19-10 09:21 AM
Response to Original message

2. I'll make a report in a little bit

boston.com has poll reports, i'm seeing a lot of Brown voters, but probably because Dems actually work during the day. Let's check back later!

Yeah, right.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »
Can't connect. Wonder if FR still has a server down?

I just now checked my link to freerepublic.

It appears good; the thread came right up.

Maybe one of those millisecond computer quirks?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2010, 09:56:45 AM »
In case Skins's island goes under lock-and-key, the Bostonian Drunkard is offering this live thread of his own:

http://www.truthout.org/massachusetts-election-live-blog56173
apres moi, le deluge