Author Topic: Parents Sue Over Use of Slain Soldier's Name on Anti-War Shirts  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Dixie*Darling

Thursday, April 24, 2008

PHOENIX —  The parents of a Tennessee soldier killed in Iraq are suing an Arizona online merchant who included their son's name on anti-war shirts that list names of troops killed in the war.

The lawsuit filed by Robin and Michael Read of Greeneville, Tenn., accuses Dan Frazier of Flagstaff of intentionally inflicting emotional harm by including Spc. Brandon Michael Read's name on casualty lists printed on "Bush lied — They died" T-shirts without permission and by ignoring a demand to remove their son's name.

The suit seeks $10 million in compensatory and punitive damages. It also asks that Frazier be permanently barred from using Brandon Read's name.

Frazier's free-speech rights ended when he used Brandon Read's name for profit and any reasonable person would consider Frazier's actions outrageous, said the lawsuit filed Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Tennessee.

Read, a 21-year-old member of the Army Reserve, was killed by a roadside bomb while serving in Iraq on Sept. 6, 2004.

The family's attorney, Francis X. Santore Jr. of Greeneville, said local court rules prohibited him and his clients from discussing the case beyond a statement in which the parents discussed their son and asked to be left alone while they let the courts "resolve this highly personal situation."

Frazier did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

However, his company's web site (http://www.carryabigsticker.com) says it continues to sell the shirts despite laws passed by Arizona and other states "because we believe the message is important."

The Arizona law was enacted last year. It both generally made it a misdemeanor crime to use dead soldiers' names for commercial purposes without permission and authorized lawsuits.

The law's criminal section was put on hold by a federal judge in Phoenix pending a final ruling on a challenge filed by Frazier on First Amendment grounds.

In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Neil Wake acknowledged that Frazier's use of casualties names may increase the hurt of loved ones but said the shirts are political speech.

Though the law permits Frazier to use casualties' names if he obtains permission from designated family members, that amounts to a flat prohibition "given the difficulty and cost of finding, contacting and obtaining consent from the soldiers' numerous representatives," Wake said.

Several states, including Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas, have enacted similar laws.

The lawsuit's filing was first reported Wednesday by the Arizona Capitol Times.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352405,00.html

~~~~~~~~~~~*****~~~~~~~~~~~

I have to wonder what this guys DU name is.  His hatred of Bush will pass to another once he leaves office, but his disdain for our brave military personnel will continue.   

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
Re: Parents Sue Over Use of Slain Soldier's Name on Anti-War Shirts
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 11:37:15 AM »
Too bad they couldn't get more of the families involved. Put the little pissant out of business and have him in debt up to his eyeballs for the rest of his life.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »
Someday that tool will piss off the wrong family that will have the power and the reach to turn his life inside out.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 01:17:58 AM »
Freedom means freedom to be an asshole too...
Which comes in handy, once in a while...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:04:34 PM »
What might be more useful is if the families each files a suit.  Those that live in AZ can file in their local county of course.  There are 15 of them, each court house long distances away from each other.

After he deals with lawyers 24/7/365, he may change his mind about the concept of hurting other people to make a buck.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!