Author Topic: Polygamist sect hearing in Texas descends into farce  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Polygamist sect hearing in Texas descends into farce
« on: April 17, 2008, 08:25:56 PM »
Polygamist sect hearing in Texas descends into farce

SAN ANGELO, Texas (AP) — A court hearing to decide the fate of the 416 children swept up in a raid on a West Texas polygamist sect descended into farce Thursday, with hundreds of lawyers in two packed buildings shouting objections and the judge struggling to maintain order.

The case — clearly one of the biggest, most convoluted child-custody hearings in U.S. history — presented an extraordinary spectacle: big-city lawyers in suits and mothers in 19th-century, pioneer-style dresses, all packed into a courtroom and a nearby auditorium connected by video.

At issue was an attempt by the state of Texas to strip the parents of custody and place the children in foster homes because of evidence they were being physically and sexually abused by the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a renegade Mormon splinter group suspected of forcing underage girls into marriage with older men.

As many feared, the proceedings turned into something of a circus — and a painfully slow one.

By late afternoon only two witnesses had testified, and both only to lay the foundation for documents to be admitted. One witness, a state trooper, was cross-examined by dozens of attorneys, each of them asking the same question on behalf of a child or parent.

much more

what a mess. :thatsright:  did anyone else catch those three sect ladies on fox the other morning?   :mental:

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Polygamist sect hearing in Texas descends into farce
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 09:21:44 PM »
Who decided to make this a circus?  There is nothing stopping the judge from dividing this case. 

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:50:03 PM »
Who decided to make this a circus?  There is nothing stopping the judge from dividing this case. 

that's what I was thinking, but I am guessing 430 separate custody cases would probably overwhelm the county court.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:53:39 PM »

that's what I was thinking, but I am guessing 430 separate custody cases would probably overwhelm the county court.

Well, hoo-pah!  So the current situation hasn't overwhelmed the court?  Even Barnam & Bailey had sense enough to divide into three rings.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:59:49 PM »
I have to question removing that many kids to investigate one claim of abuse.  I don't like the polygamist sects anymore than anyone else but it just seems wrong to take those kids from their families.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »
I have to question removing that many kids to investigate one claim of abuse.  I don't like the polygamist sects anymore than anyone else but it just seems wrong to take those kids from their families.

Personally, I think someone tried to set President Bush up with his own Waco, but it failed. 

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 12:48:27 AM »
What a mess...  :banghead:

Fake Call May Have Led to Polygamist Raid

COLORADO SPRINGS - A call from a 16-year old girl, claiming sexual abuse at the Texas Polygamist Compound may have been a prank call from a Colorado Springs woman. 33-year old Rozita Swinton was arrested Wednesday Night by Colorado Springs Police.

According to sources close to the investigation, the F.B.I. began tracing calls from a person named "Sarah" to a Teenage Rescue Mission for girls trying to escape the sect. "Sarah" is the same person who made the call which lead to the raid.  Authorities now believe Swinton was behind those fake calls, where 416 children were removed from the compound.

(more...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »
Someone on TOS claimed to have a relative who was involved in the raid or at least the aftercare and they claimed that "Sarah" existed but was in hiding because she still had family members inside the sect. Oy.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 01:31:43 PM »

Investigator: Sect girls pregnant as young as 13
Raucous hearing over fate of 416 children seized from polygamist ranch

updated 1 hour, 23 minutes ago
SAN ANGELO, Texas - After hours of lawyers popping up with similar objections and questions, a custody hearing for 416 children seized from a polygamist sect finally turned to whether they were abused: A child welfare worker said some women at the sect’s ranch may have had children when they were minors, some as young as 13.

....more: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24199519

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »
There is very real evidence of widespread abuse.  And there is absolutely no way to determine which child goes with which parents -- there are no records and the sect members and kids don't know.  So it needs to be taken as a group since it can't be partitioned.  And they have to keep the kids in protective custody until the true picture emerges.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 01:56:11 PM »
Should we take every 13 year old that gets pregnant away from their parents?  This whole thing seems hinky to me.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 02:03:35 PM »
Should we take every 13 year old that gets pregnant away from their parents?  This whole thing seems hinky to me.

I think that the legal assumption is that; A. As a 13 YO cannot legally be married, and B. Said 13 YO cannot legally consent to the sex act required to produce a pregnancy, Therefore, any and all 13 YO's that either are, or have been pregnant are direct evidence of sexual abuse.....

doc

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »

While I agree with you in principle in this case I don't.  THey are polygamists and polygamists tend to "marry" their "women" very young.  If the minors (the article said minors in the plural) had children when they themselves were children, something is definitely going on.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 02:49:27 PM »

I think that the legal assumption is that; A. As a 13 YO cannot legally be married, and B. Said 13 YO cannot legally consent to the sex act required to produce a pregnancy, Therefore, any and all 13 YO's that either are, or have been pregnant are direct evidence of sexual abuse.....

doc

It is de facto evidence of statutory rape. The kids don't leave the compound so therefore were impregnated there.  This means there is rape, conspiracy to commit rape, accessory to rape, accessory after the fact, etc. etc. etc.  Multiple counts.

And MamC, as I said earlier, no one knows who the parents are.  Who do you give which kids to?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 08:19:07 AM »
This made the news this morning...

Texas authorities cancel warrant for man accused of abusing FLDS girl

AMARILLO, Texas -- Texas authorities have canceled the arrest warrant for the Arizona man who had been suspected of physically and sexually abusing a teenage girl -- allegations that launched last month's raid on an FLDS ranch in Eldorado.

Law enforcement did not find the teenage girl or Barlow at the YFZ Ranch, owned by the polygamous Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

The man named in the warrant, Dale E. Barlow, was never arrested and denied knowing the girl. Officials have not located or idenified her.

A spokesman for the Texas Department of Safety said he could not elaborate on why the warrant was canceled.

Offline Baruch Menachem

• In a handbasket, heading to a warm destination
  • do the best you can with what you can
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 10:49:41 PM »
We need to get Phillygirl in on this discussion.  I think there are grounds for tossing all the arrests if the warrants were invalid.

They do have probable cause,  I guess.   I would hate to see all this get tossed on those  grounds though.
An optimist sees the glass as half full, a pessimist sees the glass as half empty, an engineer sees that there is twice the glass required to contain the beer

My name is Obamandias, King of Kings, 
  Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!