Author Topic: primitives deny their anti-business policies to blame  (Read 1432 times)

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
primitives deny their anti-business policies to blame
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:52:44 PM »
Quote from:
The Straight Story

Dominos Stores Closing; More than 100 Laid Off , franchise owner sites high min. wage as one reason

Eight Domino's pizza stores are closing the Reno area, according to franchise owner Brandon Jones.

Jones said it's hoped just one store may remain open. However, it appears the following locations are closing: Greenbrea in Sparks, Robb Drive in West Reno, Fallon, Fernley, Sun Valley, Stead and Susanville. Jones said the Fernley store shut down last week. He said he shut down a store on Vista Boulevard four months ago. The other closures were expected to be effective Sunday.

Jones said the latest closures leave 120 to 130 people out of a job.

"I sure don't want these employees to be without a job for long, it's very unfortunate we're talking about 130 or so employees I know how it feels to be without a job because I'm without one too," Jones said.

He said business is down about 40 percent from two years ago. Jones said increases in the minimum wage have also made it difficult to be profitable. Jones said he owes Domino's $80,000 and was forced to close his stores.

http://www.kolotv.com/news/headlines/37428554.html

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=389&topic_id=4820256&mesg_id=4820256

Sales go down.  Payroll goes up by artificial interference by gov't.  People lose their jobs.

We all know that's what happens.

But when you're married to an ideology rather than reality, you get reactions like this:

Quote from:
Occam Bandage

1. If his business was only profitable through underpriced labor, then it deserves to close. Other, better-paying jobs will open up because of the increased spending by other workers seeing a raise. No study has ever shown a negative employment effect caused by minimum wage increases.

Quote from:
ogneopasno

Response to Reply #1

7. Exactly. If his margin was so thin that that put him over the edge, he wasn't running his franchises well anyway.

Quote from:
lumberjack_jeff

57. Causality.

I could believe that he was put out of business by the shitty economy. I don't believe that, given the shitty economy, it was the minimum wage that put him out of business.

Quote from:
pending

Response to Reply #1

62. true. But those employees didn't deserve to be laid off either

Now they aren't receiving any wage at all.

It seems that maybe a requirement should be put in place that bars employers from laying off employees for 6 months after a minimum wage increase, to close this loophole.

:mental:

Quote from:
xchrom

4. he's a liar -- and he was gonna say that no matter what.

Quote from:
katusha

9. it has nothing to do with his mismanagement eh?

sure, blame the workers for your failings as a businessman.

He didn't blame the workers, he blamed the artificial increase in wages as mandated by the gov't.

Idiot.

Quote from:
madokie

14. skimmed a little too much off the top there didn't you buddy

**** him. I wonder how many of his workers were undocumented workers?

Quote from:
soonerhoosier

27. He is specifically grousing about the minimum wage increase.

If it were the case that the presence of service worker unions was driving up the wages of his non-union employees, I'll bet he would be sure to grouse about that.

Quote from:
JHB

24. Franchise (monopoly supplier) also "makes it difficult to be profitable" in the face of a 40% downturn in business. You can't economize or make deals with Corporate.

Hell, in a 40% downturn, ANY expense "makes it difficult to be profitable". If you are still profitable you must have been gouging the hell out of your customers.

I wonder how many forclosures he had in his delivery areas. And how many are barely staying above it? That's the sort of stat you'd want to know with a business based on people paying $10-20-more a pop for convenient mediocre (at its best) pizza and NOT looking for ways to economize and save a few bucks.

Here's a hint, Brandon: put Democrats in office. Then enough people will have money to spare that your francises won't go bust.

Putting Dems in office was what caused him to have to lay off employees, dolt.

Quote from:
NCevilDUer

28. He cites min wage as A reason, not THE reason, and also says business is down 40% over two years. IOW, it's the collapsing economy that is causing the failure, and his political POV tells him to blame the min wage. The fact is, even if the min wage had not increased, he would still be dealing with a 40% loss of business and would still be going under.

Funny, he didn't mention $4 gas as having anything to do with going $80k in debt on the franchise, when the business is entirely dependent upon deliveries. I betcha, he instituted a minimum charge for making deliveries to make sure each trip was worth it, and in doing so lost 10% of his business right there.

Quote from:
greyhound1966

37. Business drops 40% and the franchise fees remain, but it is the minimum wage...

:whatever:

Quote from:
ColbertWatcher

53. What an ass. 

He's closing down because his customer base has no money for pizzas.

Dumbass.

At least this primitive is signing his name at the bottom of his posts now.

Lot of comments about how bad Domino's Pizza is, but that's not the point.

Another wonderful example of how Democrats/liberals claim to care about the small business man, but when he tells them why he can't continue to employee people, or any number of things that don't fall in line with their political POV, then the small busines owner is to be belittled and mocked.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: primitives deny their anti-business policies to blame
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 09:03:08 PM »
Lot of comments about how bad Domino's Pizza is, but that's not the point.

I was going to disagree, but... meh.  The Domino's around here are getting stomped by Papa John's and Pizza Hut.  I'm surprised there are any left.  Even Mr. Gatti's went extinct, and they were pretty good.

Besides, Domino's is only good the second day after you've re-heated it in the oven.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 09:12:37 PM »
Occam Bandage

1. If his business was only profitable through under-priced labor, then it deserves to close. Other, better-paying jobs will open up because of the increased spending by other workers seeing a raise. No study has ever shown a negative employment effect caused by minimum wage increases.

:lmao:

Silly DUmmie, businesses don't succeed because of higher wages. They succeed because of having a good product and reasonable prices. No, dipshit, higher wages and a good product aren't always the same. See Freddie Mac or Fannie Mae.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Zeus

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 09:45:25 PM »
Someone should remind the Dummies that Dominoes is one of the fabled Blue Corporations.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 09:56:57 PM »
I was going to disagree, but... meh.  The Domino's around here are getting stomped by Papa John's and Pizza Hut.  I'm surprised there are any left.  Even Mr. Gatti's went extinct, and they were pretty good.

Besides, Domino's is only good the second day after you've re-heated it in the oven.

Re-heat pizza??????? BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!

Pizza after its initial hot delivery is meant to be eaten cold. That is God's Plan.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »
The sages of the basement chime in with utter nonsense.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:31:41 PM »
Re-heat pizza??????? BITE YOUR TONGUE!!!

Pizza after its initial hot delivery is meant to be eaten cold. That is God's Plan.

I guess they don't have Domino's in California.  :p
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Flame

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 07:33:09 AM »
yuck...I hate all delivery pizzas..I'd much rather make my own.

Offline terry

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:11 AM »
yuck...I hate all delivery pizzas..I'd much rather make my own.

yea but that's so much more work.  I'd rather eat home made, but I'm not a big fan of making it.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:43:58 AM »
madokie

14. skimmed a little too much off the top there didn't you buddy

**** him. I wonder how many of his workers were undocumented workers?

Well, you ignorant tool, if they were actually illegals, he probably wouldn't have been paying them on the books at all, and the minimum wage and FICA and other employer taxes wouldn't have come into play in the first place.

Man, the fantasyland understanding of economics in those pointy little heads is a tragic sight to behold.  In what kind of universe does one low-paying employer's closing result in an equal number of higher-paying jobs opening up?  If anyone ever wants to see an example of magical thinking, a trip to the DUmp will fill the bill.       
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »
pending

Response to Reply #1

62. true. But those employees didn't deserve to be laid off either

Now they aren't receiving any wage at all.

It seems that maybe a requirement should be put in place that bars employers from laying off employees for 6 months after a minimum wage increase, to close this loophole.

What an interesting thought - putting a requirement in place that bars employers from laying off employees for six months. 

And just where do the dummies think this money is going to come from?  According to their thinking, this money just falls magically from the sky, I guess. 

Dumbasses. 

:banghead:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 11:40:37 AM »

What an interesting thought - putting a requirement in place that bars employers from laying off employees for six months. 

And just where do the dummies think this money is going to come from?  According to their thinking, this money just falls magically from the sky, I guess. 

Dumbasses. 

:banghead:

What money?  Every small business would just fire all employees affected by the minimum wage before the new one takes effect.  :rotf: