Author Topic: primitives discuss asparagus  (Read 490 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss asparagus
« on: March 13, 2010, 04:42:20 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x75913

Oh my.

Trailrider1951  (835 posts)        Fri Mar-12-10 08:12 AM
Original message

ASPARAGUS!

God, how I love it! It is one of the BEST things about early spring. Last night I took a whole pound of spears, washed and trimmed them, and sauteed them in a large frying pan with 2-3 tablespoons of unsalted butter for about 10 to 15 minutes until crisp-tender. I then served them with grilled Boca burgers on onion rolls, with a nice Shiraz to drink. Dining nirvana! So, how do you cook your asparagus? And what do you serve it with?

Stinky The Clown  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-12-10 08:50 AM
THE SPARKLING HUSBAND PRIMITIVE, #05 TOP PRIMITIVE OF 2009
Response to Original message

1. We grill it

Salt and olive oil. Grill until it shows grill marks but is still crisp.

In season, we'll do it 2 or 3 times a week!

Gormy Cuss  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-12-10 06:32 PM
Response to Reply #1

10. We toss it in a seasoned lemon & olive oil blend and when it comes off the grill it gets tossed in it again. Just made the first of the season batch last week.

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-12-10 12:15 PM
THE IMPERIOUS PRIMITIVE

2. I love it all

I love it grilled with EVOO a little salt and a poached egg on top. Then you dip the spears into the egg yolk. Yumnmers. I love it too with ham and swiss in an omelet. I generally use just the tip half of the spear and save the more woody ends to pressure cook and puree for a velvety soup.

pengillian101  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-12-10 10:16 PM
Response to Reply #2

12. Holy cow, that sounds good - unusual - but good!

"I love it grilled with EVOO a little salt and a poached egg on top. Then you dip the spears into the egg yolk. Yumnmers."

I cannot wait until fresh is in season here in MN - should be soon. Asparagus is my favorite of all.

Ya got a good asparagus soup recipe to share?

The empressof all   (1000+ posts)        Sat Mar-13-10 11:47 AM
THE IMPERIOUS PRIMITIVE
Response to Reply #12

14. We had it with the egg in Italy years and years ago

It's become the go to way to serve it in our house. It brings back memories and it's just so good.

My soup is ridiculously easy.... I take the Asparagus and onion (If it's the big fat ones I may give the woody ends a quick peel) throw it in the pressure cooker with a bit of Better than Bouillion and cook it down. I then use the hand blender to puree it and adjust for thickness. Sometimes I'll add cheese but more often than not I just top the bowl with a bit of fat free sour cream. Of course I add Salt and Pepper and sometimes a pinch of cayenne if I remember.

It's also great to add Cauliflower to the mix if you want a lighter flavor and additional v*****s.

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-12-10 12:46 PM
THE FARMERETTE FROM WISCONSIN

3. just perfectly cooked, as a side

My favorite way to dress it is with butter and a bit of orange zest. If you haven't tried asparagus with butter and orange zest....well, it's nearly as good an idea as spring itself.

Tesha  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-12-10 01:18 PM

4. Veal Oscar...

mmmmm

Of course I don't eat veal much any more... and hollandaise is loaded with cholestrol... and crab on the east coast is way too dear...

so small raw chopped spears in a salad or steamed just until al dente or
roasted with evoo and this year I'll try grilled.

Don't you love the spring?

yellerpup  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-12-10 01:21 PM

5. I like it steamed with a little sesame oil and a few seeds sprinkled over. I save the stalks and make soup with the last of the tips. Because I am allergic to milk, I thicken the soup with potato.

DrDan  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-12-10 04:51 PM

6. like you - sauteed - but in olive oil and some green onions. garlic, salt and pepper

if I can get some fresh french-cut green beans - I include them also

mmmmmmmmmmm

MrMickeysMom  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-12-10 05:58 PM

7. With garlic, of course...

I chop fresh garlic with EVOO, then add red pepper flakes after adding the spears. I have put this over macaroni.

I will miss the fact that my brother in law no longer will provide his early spring asparagus... he moved to Florida, damn it!

Cass  (1000+ posts)      Fri Mar-12-10 06:03 PM

8. Mostly I roast it with salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic as a side dish.

Sometimes I make a fritatta with smoked salmon, asparagus, and mushrooms.

Years ago my grandmother used to bread it and fry it...oh how I loved that!

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-12-10 06:13 PM
MRS. ALFRED PACKER

9. I'll eat it anyway someone wants to serve it. One of my favorite v*****s.

TreasonousBastard  (1000+ posts)      Sat Mar-13-10 08:27 AM
THE PRIMITIVE FULL OF BEANS
Response to Reply #9

13. Best answer. Roasted is my favorite way, but everything else is good.

kimi  (336 posts)      Fri Mar-12-10 07:17 PM

11. Ah, just poached lightly in kosher-salted water

no one else in the family will eat it.

Barbarians. So, all the more for me!!

japple  (1000+ posts)      Sat Mar-13-10 04:05 PM

15. Ours hasn't started coming in yet, but when it does, I'll roast it with olive oil, salt, pepper. It only lasts for about a month, but we eat it every chance we get. My Dad & Mom planted it about 30 years ago, and it's still producing. We're probably going to increase the size of the beds this year as our family is growing! We'll teach the little ones coming up how to enjoy vegetables.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
Re: primitives discuss asparagus
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 05:47:43 PM »
The neighbors on either side of me each have an asparagus patch that encroaches partially onto my land, so I have grazing rights. I pick 'em right out of the patch and eat them raw.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 07:00:53 PM »
The neighbors on either side of me each have an asparagus patch that encroaches partially onto my land, so I have grazing rights. I pick 'em right out of the patch and eat them raw.

We put in some asparagus crowns this year.  The first spear just popped up :-)  We can't harvest this year, to encourage the plants themselves to grow better, but I'm looking forward to good future harvests :-)

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »
I cannot grow asparagus, because the deer eat anything green as soon as it sprouts from the ground, so mine comes with an elastic band that says "Product of Mexico". But it's great anyway. Try roasting it encrusted with parmesan cheese.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:07:18 PM »
I cannot grow asparagus, because the deer eat anything green as soon as it sprouts from the ground, so mine comes with an elastic band that says "Product of Mexico". But it's great anyway. Try roasting it encrusted with parmesan cheese.

Would asparagus flavored deer taste any good ?

Offline JLO

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 10:44:20 PM »

You are one lucky dog! 
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--