Author Topic: 'horrified' by images of horse-mounted Border Patrol agents confronting Haitian  (Read 680 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (72,136 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215880271

Mayorkas says he was 'horrified' by images of horse-mounted Border Patrol agents confronting Haitian
migrants

Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said Tuesday that he was “horrified” by images of horse-mounted Border Patrol agents attempting to grab Haitian migrants and use their animals to push them back toward Mexico and promised a “swift” investigation.

“I was horrified by what I saw,” Mayorkas said during an appearance on CNN. “I am going to let the investigation run its course, but the pictures that I observed troubled me profoundly.”

Mayorkas was responding to scenes captured by news cameras and photographers Sunday in Del Rio, Tex., along the Rio Grande. In one instance, an agent is heard on video shouting an obscenity as a child jumps out of a horse’s path.

“One cannot weaponize a horse to aggressively attack a child,” Mayorkas said. “That is unacceptable. That is not what our policies and our training require. … Let me be quite clear: That is not acceptable.”

-snip-

He said the department will act “with full force based on the facts that we learn.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/mayorkas-says-he-was-horrified-by-images-of-horse-mounted-border-patrol-agents-confronting-haitian-migrants/ar-AAOFnZU

U.S. to probe incidents involving border agents dispersing Haitians

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security on Monday pledged to "swiftly" conduct an investigation into what it called "extremely troubling" footage of Border Patrol agents on horseback aggressively dispersing Haitian migrants, saying the internal probe could lead to disciplinary actions.

"The Department of Homeland Security does not tolerate the abuse of migrants in our custody and we take these allegations very seriously," a department spokesperson said. "U.S. Customs and Border Protection's Office of Professional Responsibility is investigating the matter and has alerted the DHS Office of Inspector General."

Homeland Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas also directed department personnel to deploy to Del Rio, Texas to ensure that border officials there carry out their duties "consistent with applicable policies and training and the Department's values."

Over the weekend, news outlets captured photos and videos depicting mounted Border Patrol officials herding and chasing migrants who had crossed the Rio Grande near Del Rio, a small border community in southwestern Texas.

:whatever:

The Magistrate (91,534 posts)

1. I'm Very Tired Of 'Will Investigate', Sir

All that is necessary is to learn the names of the agents in the video, and their supervisor, then at minimum place them on administrative leave without pay, and begin whatever paperwork is necessary to discharge them from the force.

There is literally nothing to investigate....

:bird:

Star Member WhiskeyGrinder (13,721 posts)

3. Investigation? What do they expect to find?

I can tell them exactly how it happened. People working for a white supremacist agency enforcing a white supremacist policy of a nation built on white supremacy. The end.

Star Member Me. (32,649 posts)

4. Herding & Chasing?

didn't they see the whips? Or is that what they means when they say aggressively?

:thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright: :thatsright:

7. Not Quite The Entire Story ...Here's Reuters Take

White House condemns border guard use of whip-like cord against Haitian migrants

“CIUDAD ACUNA, Mexico, Sept 20 (Reuters) - The White House on Monday criticized the use of horse reins to threaten Haitian migrants after images circulated of a U.S. border guard on horseback charging at migrants near a riverside camp in Texas.”

But then there’s this

“Reuters witnesses saw mounted officers wearing cowboy hats blocking the paths of migrants, and one officer unfurling a cord resembling a lariat, which he swung near a migrant's face.

A video showing a border guard apparently threatening migrants with the cords was shared on social media.”

:bs:

Star Member Yo_Mama_Been_Loggin (72,136 posts)

8. So it's not technically a whip they're just using their reins?

It would be more telling if we saw a video of the action not just photos. However it seems they were using their horses to run down people which is just as disturbing.

Triloon (308 posts)

10. Here's a bit of video

https://nypost.com/2021/09/21/dhs-reacts-to-images-of-haitian-migrants-being-dispersed-with-horses/

No whipping. Twirling the rein ends makes a whistling sound that is intimidating. Is making intimidating sounds abuse? Cruelty? Inhumane?
Would you have been less disturbed to see the officers chasing them down on foot? Why?
No one was injured. No whipping, no trampling, no beatings, no clubbing, no gassing or shooting.
I'm starting to think it's just the cowboy hats that have people so worked up.

11. What Nonsense About THe Cowboy Hats, Perhaps You Should Look Further Down The Page

where the long leather rein is clearly intimidating the man. And herding people with horses is not acceptable policy. They are not runaway wild horses. Further, I prefer Reuters as a source over Murdoch's NY Post.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Mr Mannn

There were no whips. the media falsely said the reins were whips.

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
Triloon (308 posts)

10. Here's a bit of video

https://nypost.com/2021/09/21/dhs-reacts-to-images-of-haitian-migrants-being-dispersed-with-horses/

No whipping. Twirling the rein ends makes a whistling sound that is intimidating. Is making intimidating sounds abuse? Cruelty? Inhumane?
Would you have been less disturbed to see the officers chasing them down on foot? Why?
No one was injured. No whipping, no trampling, no beatings, no clubbing, no gassing or shooting.
I'm starting to think it's just the cowboy hats that have people so worked up.

Wow, a DU-er with a functioning rational brain.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline freedumb2003b

Star Member WhiskeyGrinder (13,721 posts)

3. Investigation? What do they expect to find?

I can tell them exactly how it happened. People working for a white supremacist agency enforcing a white supremacist policy of a nation built on white supremacy. The end.

You really need to move to a better country - one without borders.  Clearly you hate it here.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
What if the Haitians are coming here to protest fraud in the 2020 election? 🤔
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline hillneck

Imagine the nail biting and teeth grinding if DJT was still in office.  This would be another impeachable offense if so.
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline jukin

I'm horrified too. Should have been some mounted shooting. That would have stopped the illegal blacks from coming in to steal all they can.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline landofconfusion80

I have it on good authority that some members here enjoy a good whipping
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Waiting for DU's reaction to Mark Miller being violently assaulted for not wearing a mask.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline SVPete

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jukin

Noticed the DUmbass DUches were not horrified when Turdeau had the RCMP trample old ladies and peaceful protestors. 

Funny that.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.