Author Topic: Time for a 9/11 style Covid Commission!  (Read 336 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Time for a 9/11 style Covid Commission!
« on: September 21, 2021, 01:57:43 PM »
Star Member Tomconroy (1,672 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215880085

Time for a 9/11 style Covid Commission!

I guess the bills for one have been floating around in Congress since the beginning of the year going nowhere.
All the experts seem to think it's going to happen again so it's time to see what we can learn about mistakes that were made, the things we did right. Any lessons to be drawn from what other countries did
Can we do anything internationally to allow for greater transparency when an outbreak occurs.

Apparently China wouldn't share info at the beginning.

Lots of issues. May as well try to learn something.

:popcorn:

Star Member elleng (109,201 posts)

1. ONE of the stupidest ideas

(of the week.)

Mad_Machine76 (21,308 posts)

5. What's stupid about it?

Star Member elleng (109,201 posts)

7. Quoting Girard above,

'the facts re:COVID-19 are pretty public already.

What amazing truths would a commission reveal?'

8. I think OP means a commission to examine the events surrounding the pandemic- similar to the commission that investigated 9/11 and its aftermath.

Star Member Hugh_Lebowski (24,633 posts)

13. I understand, but depending on the definition of '9/11 style' I might be more or less inclined

to think it's a good idea.

9/11 was a massive crime, maybe the biggest ever ... whereas COVID is not necessarily so.

A '9/11 style' commission focused on 'was C19 released from a Chinese lab' would not necessarily get a thumbs up from me, for example.

Whereas one focused on 'how bad was the Trump admin's response' ... I could get behind

:thatsright:

4. Today there was an article in the Times anout

Last edited Tue Sep 21, 2021, 01:55 PM - Edit history (1)

The lack of availability of rapid Covid tests. Cheap, gives a result in minutes. They are used a lot in Europe. Would much more testing with something that costs maybe less than a buck (if they weren't given out for free) available for every household to test everyone a couple of times a week have helped better ID where Covid was occurring? And maybe helped curb the spread? Part of the problem is the test instrument is considered a medical device and thus goes through a long approval process.
Could anything have been done differently to get greater acceptance of the vaccines? I don't know but it's an issue worth giving some thought to.

China, as I understand it, for quite a while wouldn't allow.access to Covid cultures (If that's the right word) which delayed vaccines from being developed.

Can we get agreements for scientists to get rapid access in the future? If vaccines had come on line in Nov. 2000 instead of Feb 2001 lives would have been saved.

Apparently China succeeded where we failed.

We probably do all they did but part of the response was mass testing was part of the response then maybe smaller lockdowns. Anything to learn there?

https://theconversation.com/from-ground-zero-to-zero-tolerance-how-china-learnt-from-its-covid-response-to-quickly-stamp-out-its-latest-outbreak-165963

Contact tracing? As far as I can tell the UK is way ahead of us. Why is that so?
Or maybe our response was perfect and we shouldn't worry about it.
I suspect there are many other issues out there.

:whatever:

6. I think that once things are under control, trying to plan how to avoid or mitigate the next one- because there WILL be a next one and it could well be worse. There needs to be some kind of full accounting for all of the mistakes, missed opportunities, etc (many of them landing at Trump/GOP's feet, of course)

14. Why is the US death rate per Capita so high compared to many other countries?

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DLR Pyro

Re: Time for a 9/11 style Covid Commission!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 02:23:55 PM »
What most are failing to say but want is a sham commission that places all the blame on President Trump
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 02:39:44 PM »
Won't happen, because China will look awful and Trump's China travel-shutdown Dems condemned as racist and xenophobic will be vindicated.

Won't happen, because it will make clear that SARS-CoV-2 was circulating in the US before Trump knew it existed, and thus Trump could not have prevented its spread in the US.

Won't happen, because it will make clear that Trump responded swiftly, in multiple decisive ways.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline ADsOutburst

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 02:45:17 PM »
Ooh, careful. A thorough investigation might uncover just how badly democratic party governors ****ed up.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
How about simply forbidding the CDC and all other three letter agency's to not fund creating super bugs through gain of function research.  :mad:
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer