Author Topic: I Went to Jared - Why Brick and Mortar Loses to Amazon  (Read 295 times)

Offline SVPete

I Went to Jared - Why Brick and Mortar Loses to Amazon
« on: March 19, 2022, 11:04:36 AM »
Jes so y'all can have fun at MM's expense:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216500522

My wife has a birthday coming up very shortly. So, I decided to give her something gold and sparkly this year. I was out to do my grocery shopping and I noticed a Jared "Galleria of Jewelry" store, so I stopped in.

When I came into the store, there were no other customers and several salespeople, so I wandered over to the display cases, looking for the earrings I had decided on as a gift. I quickly found a showcase like that and was looking at them. "Excuse me...Did you sign in?" It was a man standing behind me. "What?" I said. "You have to sign in." I said, "I'm just here to buy some earrings." The man insisted once again that I had to "sign in." I suppose they wanted my contact information so they could pester me with ads. I don't know, but I said, "No, I do not need to 'sign in.' I need to leave." And I did.

I thought that was weird. However, I more or less shrugged it off. I remembered that there was a Kohl's department store on my way to the supermarket, so I stopped there and went in. As usual, the jewelry counter was right across from the entrance. The Kohl's was not busy, either. I walked over, found the earrings and was checking them out. "60% OFF!" the signs said. Jewelry at Kohl's always seems to be 60% off, for some reason. Anyhow, I saw a couple of pairs of earrings that would work for me, so I looked up to get the attention of a salesperson. Wait...there wasn't one. There was nobody working inside the jewelry counter enclosure. I looked around to see if someone was nearby, but saw nobody. So, Kohl's has its jewelry area right across from the entrance, since it's a profit center for the store, but there was nobody working there. Nobody to help a willing customer. I left that store, too, and did my grocery shopping.
What are the odds that I will ever go to Jared again? Kohl's? Just about nil, I think. So, when I hear brick and mortar retailers complaining about online shopping stealing their customers, I know it's just sour grapes. The old model is no longer working.

1. The Jared's situation is probably MN gooberment reg, or a corporate policy based on the most stringent state Covid reg among the states in which Jared operates. Since sales people are of necessity close to or in contact with customers, and customers may handle and/or put on multiple items of jewelry, the sign-in is probably done to facilitate contact-tracing in the event of an employee testing positive for Covid.

2. Kohl's has always been very tightly staffed, with employees sometimes working two different areas. Covid probably complicates staffing. In the Kohl's we patronize, it is common for the sales people to work both jewelry and the nearby cosmetics area, going back years. Kohl's has very competitive prices, and has to keep its staffing lean. I'd love to see how patient MM is trying to get the security tag removed from a pair of shoes so the shoes can be tried on! :rotf:

:greet: FZ!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 11:12:09 AM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
Re: I Went to Jared - Why Brick and Mortar Loses to Amazon
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 11:12:56 AM »
Jes so y'all can have fun at MM's expense:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100216500522

1. The Jared's situation is probably MN gooberment reg, or a corporate policy based on the most stringent state Covid reg among the states in which Jared operates. Since sales people are of necessity close to or in contact with customers, and customers may handle and/or put on multiple items of jewelry, the sign-in is probably done to facilitate contact-tracing in the event of an employee testing positive for Covid.

2. Kohl's has always been very tightly staffed, with employees sometimes working two different areas. Covid probably complicates staffing. In the Kohl's we patronize, it is common for the sales people to work both jewelry and the nearby cosmetics area, going back years. Kohl's has very competitive prices, and has to keep its staffing lean. I'd love to see how patient MM is trying to get the security tag removed from a pair of shoes so the shoes can be tried on! :rotf:

All we heard for EONS on DU was that Mom and Pop is the way to go. If there is ANY retail business in the US that is still loaded with Mom and Pops, it's jewelry. Why doesn't the idiot shop local? Look on Yelp for St Paul jewelers and you'll fairly trip over small stores that will provide the frottage he demands.

NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline Delmar

Re: I Went to Jared - Why Brick and Mortar Loses to Amazon
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 11:04:44 PM »
The failed thrift store scrounger must not have run through all of the money he inherited from his parents yet if he can still afford to go shopping for brand new goods in retail stores.
"I sat down, and I said, 'America's back' and Mitterrand from Germany — I mean from France — looked at me and said … "Well, how long are you back for?"
Crooked Joe Biden