Author Topic: Anti-war Soros funded Iraq study  (Read 3856 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Anti-war Soros funded Iraq study
« on: January 13, 2008, 04:45:32 AM »

A STUDY that claimed 650,000 people were killed as a result of the invasion of Iraq was partly funded by the antiwar billionaire George Soros.

Soros, 77, provided almost half the £50,000 cost of the research, which appeared in The Lancet, the medical journal. Its claim was 10 times higher than consensus estimates of the number of war dead.

The study, published in 2006, was hailed by antiwar campaigners as evidence of the scale of the disaster caused by the invasion, but Downing Street and President George Bush challenged its methodology.

New research published by The New England Journal of Medicine estimates that 151,000 people - less than a quarter of The Lancet estimate - have died since the invasion in 2003.

“The authors should have disclosed the [Soros] donation and for many people that would have been a disqualifying factor in terms of publishing the research,” said Michael Spagat, economics professor at Royal Holloway, University of London.

The Lancet study was commissioned by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and led by Les Roberts, an associate professor and epidemiologist at Columbia University. He reportedly opposed the war from the outset.

link

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: Anti-war Soros funded Iraq study
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »
Until we get honest reporting of finding by people not on the take or with an agenda to push...the true success and/or failure of what's going on in IRaq will never be known.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 07:07:58 AM »
I am not shocked.  I am so sick of news with an agenda. :banghead:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 08:27:37 AM »
The Lancet did not break any rules by failing to disclose Soros’s sponsorship.

True.  No rules were broken.  In fact, the Liberal Indoctrination Rules were followed to the letter. 

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »

True.  No rules were broken.  In fact, the Liberal Indoctrination Rules were followed to the letter. 
But it leaves critics the perfect opening to impugn credibility both because of the source of funds AND the fact Lancet knew bloody well that Soros has an agenda so they willfully decided to HIDE his involvement and now have their mewling excuse.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »
I want to know when they are going to release their data. They have yet to do that.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 11:56:56 AM »
I want to know when they are going to release their data. They have yet to do that.

:whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:58:32 AM »

But it leaves critics the perfect opening to impugn credibility both because of the source of funds AND the fact Lancet knew bloody well that Soros has an agenda so they willfully decided to HIDE his involvement and now have their mewling excuse.

The critics weren't suppose to find out.  Liberals don't have a plan in their Plan Book that does not assume they are still in charge of all information.  Liberals' unwillingness to accept the changes in the Information World tells me those changes are the hardest blow to take.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 04:36:48 AM »

The critics weren't suppose to find out.  Liberals don't have a plan in their Plan Book that does not assume they are still in charge of all information.  Liberals' unwillingness to accept the changes in the Information World tells me those changes are the hardest blow to take.
I do find myself constantly scratching my head wondering why the libs thought they could get away with their latest half-assed-scheme-of-the-week. They seem to be operating like its still 1968 with Walter Cronkite reporting live from Saigon. Getting burned repeatedly never seems to make an impression upon them.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."