Author Topic: Report: Los Angeles Grand Jury Probes Missouri Girl's Internet Suicide  (Read 5098 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Report: Los Angeles Grand Jury Probes Missouri Girl's Internet Suicide
FOX News
Wednesday, January 09, 2008

LOS ANGELES —  A federal grand jury has issued a subpoena to MySpace.com in a probe stemming from the suicide of a Missouri teenager who received cruel messages on the networking site that turned out to be a hoax, a newspaper reported Tuesday.

Federal prosecutors are considering charging a mother in the girl's neighborhood with defrauding MySpace by creating a false account that she, her daughter and a teenage employee used to fool 13-year-old Megan Meier into believing she was communicating with a 16-year-old boy, the Los Angeles Times said on its Web site, citing unidentified sources.

It said its sources insisted on anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the case.

Full Article

==========================================================

I guess some people just don’t learn that shunning will happen. Stigmas are permanent and don’t remove. They stay forever. Lori Drew and Ashley Grills didn’t get it after what has happened to OJ Simpson, David Cash, and John Walker Lindh, who are really reviled and hated, besides Osama bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, and 9/11 hijackers. They are in a deep hole of shame. No PR is going to help them. In some cases, repairing a repuatation will do more damage.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Re: Report: Los Angeles Grand Jury Probes Missouri Girl's Internet Suicide
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 08:06:26 PM »
I'm assuming that LA is looking into this because that's where myspace is headquartered at?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:15:00 PM »
I'm assuming that LA is looking into this because that's where myspace is headquartered at?

Beverly Hills to be exact. It's a federal affair now.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »
Good. I'll be looking for updates on this.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 09:24:37 PM »

Me too.  I'd like some justice for the poor girl and her family, and it looks like they could get it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 09:25:52 PM »

Me too.  I'd like some justice for the poor girl and her family, and it looks like they could get it.

Precisely, firefly. I still recall being amazed that this lady would just be let off with her guilty conscience, of which she seemed to have none. I'm glad to see it is being looked into and at a federal level.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 09:34:24 PM »
In many ways, Lori Drew and Ashley Grills are like OJ Simpson and David Cash. You all remember David Cash from 1997? He had a friend, named Jeremy Stohmeyer, who killed a girl in a Las Vegas hotel bathroom and he did nothing. He was not charged, but got shunned at Berkeley. I don't know what happened, but my guess is David Cash can't get a job and is living in the streets as a bum.

I do not condone vigilantism. Last time I checked, shunning is not vigilantism and perfectly legal. That being said, I have ZERO sympathy for the Drews. It's too bad for them and they deserve to be shamed for life. What goes around, comes around, which I am a firm believer in karma. They should be hounded by this for the rest of their natural life. Stigmas are permenant, as we saw in OJ Simpson. It keeps people in line. Break the rules, face the consequences. They brought it on themselves and HAVE ONLY THEMSELVES to blame. No company will ever employ them, since Curt was fired from two jobs in a month's time and wife had to close her business down for good. The daughter would not last a day at school because of the harassment from the student and teacher body. They can't have friends and whoever their friends are have shunned them.

One of the perpertrators, Ashley Grills, attempted suicide because of this, and the Drews put the blame on her and their own daughter. Grills is in a mental hospital and likely feels extremely resentful towards the Drews. I think the Drews have a history of being mean to other people. Lori Drew is described as really clingy and very sociable, but at same time very loud, mean, and obnoxious, like her daughter. They probably will come forward, especially if a civil suit is filed.

No PR in the world will save them, even if they if they took in Hurricane Katrina evacuees or volunteered in New York after 9/11. Of course, they are not the kind of people who would do that. In some cases, PR will do more harm. Damaged reputation is hard to repair and in some cases, fixing it does more harm. They are in a deep hole of despair and shame.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 09:37:29 PM »

Precisely, firefly. I still recall being amazed that this lady would just be let off with her guilty conscience, of which she seemed to have none. I'm glad to see it is being looked into and at a federal level.

Federal is serious stuff. When they say life, they really mean it.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 09:43:59 PM »

Federal is serious stuff. When they say life, they really mean it.

Also death.  They fried McVeigh in pretty short order (although I wish he would have been in agony a lot longer).

I am truly ambivalent on this one.  I am not sure there are any real charges to be filed here and I sure as hell can't and won't support shoehorning.  Technology is in advance of legislation -- again.

What if this had been a real boy that led her on and dumped her?  Would he be looking at charges?

There is a lot more here than meets the eye beyond our sympathy for the family.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 09:58:00 AM »
yeah, what ptarmy said.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 10:05:58 AM »
The LA Grand Jury needs to keep their noses out of it.  If they come to the conclusion what those awful people did constitutes criminal fraud, there is a whole new class of felons being created.  I don't like the sound of it at all.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 07:25:47 PM »

I am truly ambivalent on this one.  I am not sure there are any real charges to be filed here and I sure as hell can't and won't support shoehorning.  Technology is in advance of legislation -- again.

What if this had been a real boy that led her on and dumped her?  Would he be looking at charges?

There is a lot more here than meets the eye beyond our sympathy for the family.

I think it is hogwash that technology is outpacing law. I think existing laws are good enough as they are. From what I have read, Lori Drew kept changing her story at least three times and she might be lying to police, which is illegal if I am correct. Also, another girl of Megan's age was revealed being involved in this prank. Apparently, Michele Mulford and her daughter were so traumatized by it, that the mother went to the school and broke down in sobs over this and begged for forgivness. They are in counseling and scarred for life. If the Drews did the same thing, none of this would of happened. The Drews are ruined beyond redemption.

A Deadly Web of Deceit
A Teen's Online 'Friend' Proved False, And Cyber-Vigilantes Are Avenging Her
By Tamara Jones
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, January 10, 2008; Page C01

Megan Meier was buried in the polka-dot dress she planned to wear for her 14th birthday. She had handed out the invitations to her party the day she died. Her eighth-grade classmates attended her funeral, instead, heads bowed and hands clasped as her casket was loaded into the hearse.

At the time, Megan's suicide was considered a private tragedy in a quiet suburb tucked between strip malls a half-hour up the interstate from St. Louis. Concerned neighbors embraced her stunned family, and a collective grief seemed to envelop the look-alike houses on Waterford Crystal Drive.

A year passed before the truth began coming out.

In November, the grieving parents told their local newspaper that a 47-year-old neighbor -- a family friend -- had orchestrated a cruel prank on MySpace.com, driving Megan to loop a belt around her neck and hang herself in her bedroom closet. The troubling story was picked up by bloggers, talk radio and others in the indignant chat universe. Tens of thousands joined the ongoing debate. Some wanted legislation; others wanted blood.

Full Article
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 07:28:54 PM by Ptarmigan »
-Napoleon Bonaparte

-Lisa Du