Author Topic: You Can Haz Pong ! miskiegames pong released today.  (Read 4084 times)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
You Can Haz Pong ! miskiegames pong released today.
« on: June 26, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »
On June 21st, I decided to write a Pong clone. - after 9 revisions, its ready to go in its original black&white beepy glory.

Quote from: miskiegames Pong
MiskieGames Pong --v 1.9

June 26th 2010

Features:

Full Screen Mode as well as windowed. 1024x768 resolution in both cases.
Single Player Mode.
Mouse control in single player mode.

Heart Pounding Pong Action !

The Full list of keys..

Right Player = Up and Down Arrows.
Left Player W = Up, S = Down.
Single Player = Mouse control.
P for Pause - any key unpauses.
Q to quit to menu
New Game = 5
Escape = Quit to desktop.

Game begins after five deep tones. Winner is the first to score eleven points.
When a point is scored, the ball is served to the scoring player from the center of the net.There is a two second delay before each serve. Mouse available in single player mode only, as it is an unfair advantage against a player using just keyboard. This was an executive decision, and is not a bug.

Known Bugs : None
Bugs Solved : Mouse Drifting. Attract mode.

Other: Game now boasts a splash screen and a functional attract mode. after the end of a match, the game returns to attract mode after a few seconds. a game may be quit at anytime via the Q key. This is the final release version, barring any bugs. Enjoy.

-M.

It *should* work on any Windows flavors from XP up, but if it doesn't,  I'd like to know about it.  Just extract it  wherever you have room. The program is freeware, it contains nothing harmful. It writes, saves, and connects to nothing.

http://miskie.com/Miskiegames_Pong.rar

FAQ --

What is this ?  -- It's Pong.
What are those noises ? -- 'Beep' and 'BZZT' .. 'beep' is good -- "BZZT' is bad.
Why is the game black & White ? -- It's Pong.
Why are there no other sounds, special effects, powerups, or bonuses ? -- It's Pong.
Why is the 'ball' square ? -- See: Pong.    :-)

Edit: -- corrected small keyboard control bug resulting in paddles freezing up every now and then. download link updated.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 10:17:18 AM by miskie »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: You Can Haz Pong ! miskiegames pong released today.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 11:00:10 PM »
This application has failed to start because d3dx0_35.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
:???:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 03:46:09 AM »
Miskie, can you tell me what programme I need to open it with, I've downloaded it but don't have the right one.

I loved pong so it'd be fun to revisit it.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 06:02:01 AM »
This application has failed to start because d3dx0_35.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

Your DirectX is woefully out of date, or somewhere along the way, a dll ended up corrupt or missing..
 Microsoft constantly updates DirectX, but it almost never shows up as an automatic download and installation..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/resultsForProduct.aspx?displaylang=en&productID=9C954C37-1ED1-4846-8A7D-85FC422D1388

I suspect once you reinstall DirectX, everything on your PC will work better.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:08:20 AM »
Miskie, can you tell me what programme I need to open it with, I've downloaded it but don't have the right one.

I loved pong so it'd be fun to revisit it.

http://www.7-zip.org/  -- once installed, right click on the archive, and you'll find 7-zip listed. move to that and then select one of the decompress options. 'extract here' will work fine since all the files are contained in one folder. 7-zip is freeware, fast, and effective.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »

Okay - I found an old copy of Vista I used for testing purposes that I had forgotten about. I was able to reproduce your error, and have determined that updating DirectX solves the issue. So, use the link posted earlier, and select the first item right at the top of the screen, "DirectX End-user Runtime update" and that should get it sorted.

If, by chance your graphics aren't DX9 capable, then its time for a new PC.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 11:14:29 AM »
I didn't realize that DirectX was not included in the regular Windows update.  This computer is relatively new (>4 months)... I may have overlooked Direct X.

It works now!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 11:24:05 AM by chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 01:11:06 PM »
I didn't realize that DirectX was not included in the regular Windows update.  This computer is relatively new (>4 months)... I may have overlooked Direct X.

It works now!

its a Microsoft nuisance -- after DirectX 9.0c was released for XP, they stopped delivering updates, even though it is updated every couple of months. As for new PCs, they come shipped with DirectX 10 or 11, but are not natively backwards compatible with everything DX9 - which forces nearly everybody with a new PC to do what you just did sooner or later.

What Microsoft expects is software developers to distribute the appropriate dll files with their product, which is kind of silly when its easy enough to use their web installer and get the complete set fully updated.

Anyway, if you notice anything buggy, let me know. The best way to solve them is to get as wide a range of PC hardware using the program as possible.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 01:33:40 PM »
I got an error saying it couldn't open sound at line 7. However this  is very likely my wn fault, in trying to open it somehow I have turned the rar file into a photoshop file.  I've tried deleting and reinstalling but it still comes up with a photoshop tag when I download it. Can someone help please?  :(

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 01:37:01 PM »
I had to download a .rar extractor since I didn't have one installed on this computer.  Install WinRAR and use it to open the file to a new folder somewhere (I already had one labeled "Games" in my documents folder).

http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-bit/3000-2250_4-10007677.html

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 01:44:22 PM »
I had to download a .rar extractor since I didn't have one installed on this computer.  Install WinRAR and use it to open the file to a new folder somewhere (I already had one labeled "Games" in my documents folder).

http://download.cnet.com/WinRAR-32-bit/3000-2250_4-10007677.html
Thanks  I now have an extractor but when I open the download it still fires up photoshop

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 01:45:49 PM »
Right-click on the file and select "Open With" from the menu.  You should be able to select the .rar extractor from a list.

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
just a quick note - some testers brought a couple of bugs to my attention that have been resolved - the download link above will deliver you the newest, and barring any other 'undocumented features' - the last revision of the game.