Author Topic: Greetings from a Cultural Hell  (Read 9244 times)

Offline njpines

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • In Memoriam
  • Hi, I'm Sue!
Re: Greetings from a Cultural Hell
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2010, 10:04:23 AM »
I agree completely, and I think aside from very few instances, we've done a good job keeping politics out of the show. When Dexter's got some piece of crap Saran-wrapped on a table, I think it's safe to say nobody with a functioning brain is particularly interested in "BushCo."

Operative phrase being "functioning brain," mind you.  :cheersmate:

Truthfully, I can't remember any political knocks or praise in Dexter toward either party or individual so if it did occur, it's not obvious.  Those types of gratuitous shots are annoying . . . as an example, IFC is currently running "Freaks and Geeks", a show that was one of our absolute favorites when it was on in the early 90's since my husband and I were juniors/seniors in HS in 1980.  Judd Apatow likes to take shots here and there at Reagan which is just sour grapes on his part.
Piney Power!!

Grow your own dope -- plant a Democrat!

"We will preserve for our children (America), the last best hope of man on earth, or we will sentence them to take the first step into a thousand years of darkness. If we fail, at least let our children and our children's children say of us we justified our brief moment here. We did all that could be done."  -- Ronald Reagan.

"Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you." -- Quest for the Holy Grail

Offline Karin

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2010, 03:15:29 PM »
That reminded me of one of the things I hated about Jerry MacGuire.  At some point, apropos of nothing at all, somebody says something snarky and nasty about Clarence Thomas.  It was utterly inappropriate to the conversation, and sat there like a turd in a punchbowl.  Don't these people have editors? 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »
Ok do I have yet another show to start watching on demand?  What is basic storyline?

Boobies, sex, and drugs, not necessarily in that order.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »
Boobies, sex, and drugs, not necessarily in that order.

And don't forget when Runkle got caught spankin it like a spider monkey in his office!!!   :rotf:  :rotf:  :rotf:

Offline true_blood

« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2010, 09:31:40 PM »
Belated welcome brother! :cheersmate: :cheersmate:

Offline Beau Geste

• Conservative Lady
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2010, 06:51:40 PM »
Hey Hollywood NeoCon!

Seems a few more of the old guard are starting to come out of the conservative "closet" so to speak. I thought Illinois was a horrible place to live as a conservative, but Hollywood has me beat by a long shot. Although our states do have similar economies...

I enjoy your show as well. Very clever! I do wish one of the cable networks would pick up Trailer Park Boys... the ultimate parody of liberal life (from a Canadian perspective). I love that show.

Offline The Hollywood NeoCon

• Visionary, Sage, Drunkard, Screenwriter
  • "For God & Country: Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo"
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
Hey Hollywood NeoCon!

Seems a few more of the old guard are starting to come out of the conservative "closet" so to speak. I thought Illinois was a horrible place to live as a conservative, but Hollywood has me beat by a long shot. Although our states do have similar economies...

I enjoy your show as well. Very clever! I do wish one of the cable networks would pick up Trailer Park Boys... the ultimate parody of liberal life (from a Canadian perspective). I love that show.

Hello Beau! And thank you so much for the welcome! Gonna check our Trailer Park Boys tonight and I'm lookin forward to it!!!!

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2010, 08:28:50 PM »
Hello Beau! And thank you so much for the welcome! Gonna check our Trailer Park Boys tonight and I'm lookin forward to it!!!!

I highly suggest while you're at it you find a few episodes of "Red Green". 

Hilarious.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford