Interests > All Things Edible (and how to prepare them)

New Year, new diet

(1/3) > >>

bijou:
(You may have seen this before ...  but I thought it was a worthwhile topic)
It strikes me that many people wil be starting new diets or simply resolving to eat more fresh food in a New Year health kick. I always find dinner easy because I quite enjoy cooking in the evenings, but it's more difficult to find quick and healthy breakfast recipes and tend to just have a limited selection of muesli or bircher muesli (see below) yoghurt and fruit. Fine for a while but it lacks variety by about March.

Same goes for lunches. I like to take lunches to work as buying prepacked sandwiches is expensive and high carb so I'd love some new ideas for stuff I can make in advance and just take out of the fridge in the mornings.

Here's my recommendation

Ingredients - serves 2
2 heaped tbsp rolled oats
3 tbsp water or apple/grape juice
2-3 tbsp Greek-style yoghurt
a tablespoon of assorted seeds to taste (sesame/sunflower/ground flax are ones I like)
fresh fruit

Method
1. Soak the oats in the water or juice for at least 20 minutes.
2. Mix in the yoghurt, seeds and fruit.

Flame:
Lunches arond here tend to fall into 2 categories.  The first is for Mr Flame, since he goes to work daily.  I try to make sure there are enough leftovers from dinner to make a lunch.  There is usually at least a choice of 2 different "leftover" that he can reheat at work.

The kids is another matter...they don't have access to a fridge or a micro, so their lunches have to fit different perameters.  They like to do wraps, in flour tortillas, with turkey or ham and lettuce and tomato.  Their stand by is always a peanutbutter sandwich, though.

Me, I'm home for lunch, and usually do something simple like a bowl of cream of wheat or something.

bijou:
That's my problem, I don't always have access to a microwave so it needs to be cold stuff. 

Flame:

--- Quote from: bijou on January 06, 2008, 11:07:26 AM ---That's my problem, I don't always have access to a microwave so it needs to be cold stuff. 

--- End quote ---

How about salads?  Chicken salad?  Egg Salad?  Tuna Salad??

bijou:
You're right, I just need to be a bit more organised. I do have a chiller tub with a separate compartment for dressings I'll have to plan some time every couple of days to put stuff together that I can just pick up and go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version