Author Topic: Hoffman (NY-23) Drops Bid for Congress  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Hoffman (NY-23) Drops Bid for Congress
« on: October 05, 2010, 10:18:16 AM »
this is welcome news.  this could have been a replay of the special election for this district, were hoffman and scuzzylava (:-)) split the republican vote, and sent a dem to congress.

kudos to hoffman for doing the standup thing.

Hoffman Drops Bid for Congress

OSWEGO, NY (wrvo) - Doug Hoffman has dropped his bid for Congress in northern NY's 23rd district. Below is a statement released by Hoffman's campaign:

Doug Hoffman said, "I entered the 23rd Congressional District race for the good of our nation and to represent the common sense beliefs and values of the voters of upstate New York. Our nation is at a crossroads and it is imperative that on Election Day we wrest control of Congress from Nancy Pelosi and the Democrat majority.

"It was never my intention to split the Republican vote in the 23rd District. So today, I withdraw as a candidate from this race. Under New York State Election Law my name cannot be removed from the Conservative Party line on the ballot. However, I strongly urge and request that my supporters not vote for me and certainly not vote for the Democrat or Working Families Party candidate.

"Matt Doheny and I may have differed on some issues during the course of our primary race. Now, we must put those differences aside and do what is best for our nation. So today, I am asking all my supporters to cast their vote for Matt Doheny on Election Day, November 2nd.

More

Offline Karin

Re: Hoffman (NY-23) Drops Bid for Congress
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 11:51:52 AM »
Yes, this is my district.  I didn't post about it, because I was too upset when Doug wouldn't concede, and didn't know what to say.  Even though I was a Hoffman girl, I dreaded the split ticket.  I want to deliver a Republican and say so proudly on CC!

Thank you to Doug for being a grownup and thinking (eventually) of our country.   

Offline Taxman

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 11:56:24 AM »
Now if only Murkowski and a few others would be adult enough to do the same. 

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:57:30 AM »
Yes, this is my district.  I didn't post about it, because I was too upset when Doug wouldn't concede, and didn't know what to say.  Even though I was a Hoffman girl, I dreaded the split ticket.  I want to deliver a Republican and say so proudly on CC!

Thank you to Doug for being a grownup and thinking (eventually) of our country.   

I could understand him running third party when the republicans nominated scuzzylava (or whatever the woman's name was), but doheny appears to be a perfectly acceptable candidate.

he did the right thing.  you're correct, it would have been "the righter" thing to do if he had done it sooner, and his name wasn't on the ballot.  endorsing the republican goes a long ways toward fixing all of that.