Author Topic: the old dude Stinky finds the object of his search  (Read 633 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
the old dude Stinky finds the object of his search
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1026138

Oh my.

Stinky The Clown (45,373 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Argh . . . . . when the search is over, the object of the search always turns up.

This has happened to us more than once. We look for a specific item, see one, buy it, and then a BETTER one turns up.

We've been looking for a painted wood, enamel top 1940s kitchen set. We found one locally for a reasonable price that needs repainting but has a marvelous graphic on the top. Not exactly what we wanted, but pretty close. We bought it and schlepped it to our storage locker until we get it stripped.

And then we saw this one, which is spectacular and exactly what we wanted. Arrrggghhhhh:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Deco-Dining-Kitchen-Table-4-Chairs-Metal-Top-Wood-Base-/380404987150?pt=Antiques_Furniture&hash=item5891e7750e

Is a $200 non refundable deposit on this reasonable?

brer cat (1,526 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

1. That is magnificient!!

Where does the non refundable deposit come in? I didn't see that in the listing and they are offering a money back refund. I haven't seen many sets quite this special. I would grab it.

2. The seller is about an hour and a half from us.

He asked for the deposit to cancel the auction.

This is the set we bought. Sparkly loved the rabbit graphic.It will be easy, but the set needs to be stripped and repainted.

after which a photograph of a white table

after which a photograph of the same white table

after which a photograph of a corner of the same white table

after which a photograph of a white chair

[quoteret5hd (9,285 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

3. Just curious...how much did you pay for this one?][/quote]

5. We paid $295 for it

It should be an easy and reasonably inexpensive DIY restoration.

I need to disassemble the chairs and reglue the joints. One chair leg stretcher needs to be replaced, again easy enough as it is just a square piece of oak that I can either make a tenon on my lathe or just end drill it and use a dowel. Strip the parts, paint 'em, and its done.

brer cat (1,526 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

6. I love the rabbits also.

What a choice, Stinky. Two great sets! If you really want the one on eBay, I think the $200 deposit is reasonable. I doubt that you will have a problem selling this one.

glinda (10,674 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

9. Love the graphics on your table. I would take it in a heartbeat.

The vindictive primitive, the notorious re-seller:

Vinca (21,740 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

4. The one you bought is gorgeous.

It shouldn't be too difficult to sell if you really want the other one.

grasswire (33,069 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

7. is that old green paint on the chairs, or newer green paint?

I am really partial to pieces with old green paint, and have a few.

8. Looking at the set from an archeological perspective . . . . .

We have white paint on top. Looks like latex. Below that is the green. As there is some green on the otherwise unpainted underside of the table top, we believe that is an added color, too. Below the green, depending on where you look, is either black or white, which we think is the original color scheme.

The top coat of white has been sanded off to get the current "shabby chic" look. The sander went to bare wood in a few spots on the edges, but not so bad as to ruin the set; mostly just paint removal.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
Re: the old dude Stinky finds the object of his search
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:06:16 PM »
About a month ago I was doing laundry, found 2 odd socks of my Husbands, couldn't figure out what the heck happened to their pairs, would you believe, I did laundry this week and I'll be darned if I didn't have 2 more odd socks, I put them aside to see if they matched the other pair, and yep it was a match.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:11:38 PM »
Oh, and I don't like the table at the ebay link, and sad that the Seller only had 1 negative review and it dropped his rating down to 98.1. Newbies should be forced to take a course on ebay before they can leave feedback, they're so dumb.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:32:57 PM by Ballygrl »
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »

2. The seller is about an hour and a half from us.

He asked for the deposit to cancel the auction.

This is the set we bought. Sparkly loved the rabbit graphic. It will be easy, but the set needs to be stripped and repainted.

Does Sparkly have a crush on Sgt.SnuggleBunny?

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »
Does Sparkly have a crush on Sgt.SnuggleBunny?

Well, ol' Stinky does have a crush on you, so . . .  :rotf: :lmao: :rofl: :tongue:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
Well, ol' Stinky does have a crush on you, so . . .  :rotf: :lmao: :rofl: :tongue:

It seems that since Bally...I mean Cigarette Girl...spurned him he's turned his affection toward frank.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »

:hammer:

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 01:33:38 PM »
It seems that since Bally...I mean Cigarette Girl...spurned him he's turned his affection toward frank.

:yahoo:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 01:37:04 PM »
:yahoo:

I'm more worried about the fecund grasswire primitive's crush on me.

Between that, and vesta111's crush on me, I'm jammed in a tight spot.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 01:39:17 PM »
About a month ago I was doing laundry, found 2 odd socks of my Husbands, couldn't figure out what the heck happened to their pairs, would you believe, I did laundry this week and I'll be darned if I didn't have 2 more odd socks, I put them aside to see if they matched the other pair, and yep it was a match.
All my socks are black... problem solved.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 01:43:31 PM »

:lmao:

All my socks are black... problem solved.

Almost all of my Husbands are white, the difference in this case though was 1 sock having grey in the toe and heel area and the other 1 totally white.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 02:20:13 PM »

I'd bet they weren't all that tight. :whistling:
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 02:56:54 PM »
:lmao:

Almost all of my Husbands are white, the difference in this case though was 1 sock having grey in the toe and heel area and the other 1 totally white.

You might want to elaborate on that in the future, Bally! :bolt: :runaway: :panic:

Is there something he should know? :tongue: :fuelfire: :whistling:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 01:24:54 AM »
Now that's the kind of story they love to start a thread at the DUmp!
It would end up with lots of alerts, people being put on ignore, and replies littered with four-letter words.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
Wonder if 'ol StinkFinger realizes that if these were painted in the '40's, they are more than likely a lead based paint. If you put food on it, it will surely become contaminated. The stories abound about this happening, and the "victims" never realize as it is a very gradual thing to get lead poisoning this way.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!