Author Topic: primitives discuss the soothing effects of chocolate  (Read 823 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss the soothing effects of chocolate
« on: August 26, 2009, 07:30:53 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x68254

Hmmm.

The fired primitive, feeling sad, must have just heard about the death of the famous writer Dominick Donne:

Fire1  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-26-09 05:00 PM
Original message

I bought a box of chocolate to eat today hoping it makes me feel better. Is it true that chocolate has a soothing effect? Any testimonials?

The defrocked warped primitive:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-26-09 05:22 PM
Response to Original message

1. Who cares? It's food of the gods and was restricted to royalty in the Mayan Empire.

Preliminary research has shown everything from protecting the teeth (negated by sugar) and mild euphoria (but we knew that) from the theobromine, one of the substances isolated from cacao.

I've always thought the fall of the Mayas was due more to the democritization of cacao and the subsequent loss of prestige for the rulers than any other single factor. People just had enough of elitism, drank their atole with cacao and chile, and realized there was no longer any reason to break their backs for the glory of those warlike rulers.

It's a good theory, anyway.

Too bad the unfrocked warped primitive didn't limit herself, as a nurse, to simply stealing chocolates from patients, rather than their controlled substances too.

tigereye  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-26-09 05:34 PM
Response to Original message

3. seems to, doesn't it stimulate endorphin production, or some other type of neural feel- good chemicals? It always seems to make me feel a bit better - during stressful times, or premenstrual times.

I also know that it's good after the Dementors have been around, or so I have heard.

Fire1  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-26-09 05:44 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. I thought I read somewhere about the "endorphin" effect.

Just like the primitives; when feeling "down," grabbing for a drug to make them feel good, rather than dealing with what's making them feel "down."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Re: primitives discuss the soothing effects of chocolate
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:44:44 PM »
Dominick Dunne, as in the court TV series? I hadn't heard of this. Guess I'm a coupla hours behind.

edited 'cause I spelled his name wrong. As Frank says, sorry for the inconvenience
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:48:32 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline jukin

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:45:49 PM »
You like your freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hellcare, chocolate will not be on 85% of the mandated diets the DUmmys will be forced to be on.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 08:57:27 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x68254

Hmmm.

The fired primitive, feeling sad, must have just heard about the death of the famous writer Dominick Donne:

The defrocked warped primitive:

Too bad the unfrocked warped primitive didn't limit herself, as a nurse, to simply stealing chocolates from patients, rather than their controlled substances too.

Just like the primitives; when feeling "down," grabbing for a drug to make them feel good, rather than dealing with what's making them feel "down."

ahem.....not a chocolate eater are you, Frank.....chocolate does make me feel better and does level me out. I almost always have some before bedtime... :hyper:

Hi....my name is Deb and I have a chocolate addiction.   :-)

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »

I never thought I would agree with the DUmmies, and disagree with coach.

Chocolate rules.

I would be deeply saddened, were this not such a great day.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:10:13 PM »
The primitive should buy a box of white chocolate to save for when Byrd shucks his mortal coil

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 10:35:45 PM »
Sorry, while I do eat chocolate occasionally, I wouldn't exactly call it therapeutic. What gives?

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 12:13:25 AM »
Sorry, while I do eat chocolate occasionally, I wouldn't exactly call it therapeutic. What gives?

I am very fond of chocolate, but I'm with you.  I've never noticed any significant effects, other than a delicious taste in my mouth  :-)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 08:01:51 AM »

Maybe it's just how it reacts with one's own body chemistry.

Instead of a sugar rush....I just get real relaxed and if laying down will go to sleep. Although, several years ago, I was at the horse races at Keeneland Race Track in Lexington KY. Was sitting in a large room with a bunch of people, watching the races.....ate a brownie hot fudge sundae....a horse was severely injured and was put down. I'm watching the tv, yet had no clue. I still hear about it from several people that I was asleep with my eyes open.  :thatsright:

Sleeping pills have the opposite effect on me....I'm wide awake until I crash about 8-12 hours later.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Karin

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 08:41:19 AM »
Chocolate makes me feel awful!  Headachy, strange heart rate, just yuck.  I stay far away from it.  That DUmmy in the OP sat down and ate an entire box of chocolate?

Offline AllosaursRus

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 12:38:56 PM »

Maybe it's just how it reacts with one's own body chemistry.

Instead of a sugar rush....I just get real relaxed and if laying down will go to sleep. Although, several years ago, I was at the horse races at Keeneland Race Track in Lexington KY. Was sitting in a large room with a bunch of people, watching the races.....ate a brownie hot fudge sundae....a horse was severely injured and was put down. I'm watching the tv, yet had no clue. I still hear about it from several people that I was asleep with my eyes open.  :thatsright:

Sleeping pills have the opposite effect on me....I'm wide awake until I crash about 8-12 hours later.

Put down the Hershey bar and walk away! It's done made you null and void! lol!

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 10:12:50 PM »
Put down the Hershey bar and walk away! It's done made you null and void! lol!

:-)