Author Topic: I have been talking about this issue for years..the debit card trap.  (Read 549 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Roon  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Aug-20-09 10:44 AM
Original message
I have been talking about this issue for years..the debit card trap.

I am very low income so I use a debit card to pay my bills online and to shop with,it's just much easier.

But the crooks at the bank will approve your transaction if you are short even by a few pennies and ding you for an overdraft fee. A lot of banks charge around $35.00.

I got burned by this a couple of times when I first got my debit card,but since then I have learned to log on and check my balance before I go out and about. I also had to learn that some companies take forever to batch their transactions so I have to keep that in mind.

It should be against the law!
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/opinion/20thu1.html?_...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6352716

If you are so stupid you cant check what your balance is before you purchase something maybe you need to get one of those prepaid debit cards.  :mental:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Karin

Re: I have been talking about this issue for years..the debit card trap.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 10:10:40 AM »
This isn't the first time we've heard them bitch about bank fees.  If you're low income, $35 is a lot of money.  You would think that if you got burned once, it would hurt so bad that you would become obsessive about your checking account being exactly right to the penney.   

What's this thing for up in our emoticon list?   :heart:   Looks like Valentine's day. 

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 10:12:58 AM »
Once again a DUmmy can`t meet a fairly simple requirement of living in modern society so they think they should be exempted.

DUmbfuk lurkers....know what is in your bank account if you have any fear of overdrafting.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 10:13:41 AM »
What's this thing for up in our emoticon list?   :heart:   Looks like Valentine's day. 
I swear I didn't do it.

Someone must have a sense of humor. :-)
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chump

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:20:50 AM »
I'm not so sure I'd rant in a semi-public forum about my inability to perform very, very basic math.  If you balance your checkbook register, to the penny, every time you take in or send out funds, this is a complete non-issue.

Screw the greedy banks by knowing how to add and subtract, not ranting online.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 11:25:42 AM »
When I was in high school, I took a VERY easy class called something like introduction to Business.  They actually taught you how to balance a checkbook.  I'm not big on mandating certain classes, but this type would be high on my list.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 11:36:37 AM »
When I was in high school, I took a VERY easy class called something like introduction to Business.  They actually taught you how to balance a checkbook.  I'm not big on mandating certain classes, but this type would be high on my list.
Absolutely agree 100%. Kids graduate having no idea how to live as adults. They should learn how to maintain a checkbook ledger, how to complete a Form 1040 and how withholding works, how to register a car and renew, how property taxes are collected, how to vote Republican, and other skills necessary to
be a minimally competent adult.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 11:41:57 AM »
Absolutely agree 100%. Kids graduate having no idea how to live as adults. They should learn how to maintain a checkbook ledger, how to complete a Form 1040 and how withholding works, how to register a car and renew, how property taxes are collected, how to vote Republican, and other skills necessary to
be a minimally competent adult.

How to use credit would be another area.

I'm not anti-business by any means, in fact I'm quite the opposite.  I've long thought that CC companies shouldn't be just handing out cards like candy on college campuses.  I got into a little trouble with that, which was completely my own fault.  I just think that giving out free credit to so many with no income is rife with problems.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:14:06 PM »
I pay almost everything that I can with my debit card...it's easy and I get a printout each month in my bank statement that makes my tax gathering quite easy.

It tells me exactly what my balance is....after it subtracts all pending payments....I don't have to do it.

I don't get overdrawn.

It's not rocket science....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Karin

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 12:17:26 PM »
Ralph, boy isn't that the truth?  College students are notoriously dirt-poor.  I think my annual income was $5K when I was one.  Handing out credit cards to these people, who are often moonbats, is just dangerous.  And cruel to them, actually, since their lack of a sense of responsibility is infamous and will just get them into deep trouble.