Author Topic: primitives accuse Baucus (D-Montana) of waiting for Vast Teddy to die  (Read 904 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6347486

Oh my.

The things the primitives don't think of.

JDPriestly  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-19-09 04:12 PM
Original message

Is Max Baucus' stall in the Senate a macabre strategy to prevent Ted Kennedy from
voting on health care? Let's give Baucus the benefit of the doubt and assume it isn't, will that actually be its effect?

Did anyone else notice in the video at this link that Tweety says that Ted Kennedy may not be able to vote on the health care bill?

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

Quit stalling. Get a bill with a public option ready for a vote on the first day that Congress convenes. Give Ted Kennedy the chance to vote on the health care bill he has worked so hard, so long to get. And make sure it has a public option. Medicare for all. Every Democrat should be behind this.

stuball111  (598 posts)        Wed Aug-19-09 04:16 PM
Response to Original message

1. What happens if Ted does pass away?

Won't there be a Democrat appointed? Or will there have to be a by-election? I DO wish that Ted Kennedy gets well and carries on,He's a great man. Seems that might be a "strategy" albeit a pretty damn sick one! I hope it's not true.

CountAllVotes  (1000+ posts)      Wed Aug-19-09 04:22 PM
Response to Reply #1

2. Ted's wife will step in and take his place should this happen.

Whoa-ho.  A primitive suggesting hereditary aristocracy?

sharp_stick (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-19-09 04:25 PM

3. Now why would he do that?

In all honesty I can't think of a single reason Baucus would do something like that.

It's also kind of hard to write a bill during the August recess when nobody is in town to actually write the thing.

DCKit  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-19-09 04:39 PM

4. "Strategy". You're crediting Max Baucus with intelligence. For shame.

Seriously though, if anything, the death of T.K. before health care is "fixed" would provide one hell of an impetus to get it done RIGHT.

Oh, I dunno.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Happy Fun Ball

Re: primitives accuse Baucus (D-Montana) of waiting for Vast Teddy to die
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »
Every Democrat should be behind this.
If every democrat were behind this, there would be no need for reconciliation now, would there? I mean, you've got a nice, comfortable majority in the house, and 60 seats in the senate...how in the world can the republicans stop this? They can't, even if (hopefully) every single one of them votes against cloture. So, whooo's holding this thing up? I'll give you a hint. It starts with a D and ends in 'rats'.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »
Give Ted Kennedy the chance to vote on the health care bill he has worked so hard, so long to get.

I was unaware that useless tub of lard had ever worked hard on anything. You learn something every day.
I would like to know, though, what that hard work consisted of.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 05:13:06 PM »
JDPriestly  (1000+ posts)        Wed Aug-19-09 04:12 PM
Original message

Is Max Baucus' stall in the Senate a macabre strategy to prevent Ted Kennedy from
voting on health care? Let's give Baucus the benefit of the doubt and assume it isn't, will that actually be its effect?

Did anyone else notice in the video at this link that Tweety says that Ted Kennedy may not be able to vote on the health care bill?

http://www.democraticunde...nd.com/discuss/duboard.ph...

Quit stalling. Get a bill with a public option ready for a vote on the first day that Congress convenes. Give Ted Kennedy the chance to vote on the health care bill he has worked so hard, so long to get. And make sure it has a public option. Medicare Medicaid for all. Every Democrat should be behind this.

There.  Fixed.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:27:07 PM »
I was unaware that useless tub of lard had ever worked hard on anything. You learn something every day.

Driving off a bridge with a woman that's not your wife in the car with you, then failing to report the accident until she's been long dead . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline tuolumnejim

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 05:30:20 PM »
Well there was that two bottles of scotch a day habit for a lot of years.  :evillaugh:
A people... who are possessed of the spirit of commerce, who see and who will pursue their advantages may achieve almost anything.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, letter to Benjamin Harrison

"Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49%."
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:09:17 PM »
Well there was that two bottles of scotch a day habit for a lot of years.  :evillaugh:
How much work does it take to get expelled from Harvard?
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Karin

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 09:54:57 AM »
Swimming is kind of hard, if you're not in shape. 

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 11:40:54 AM »
Somewhere I still have a couple of bumper stickers that were distributed by the NRA in 1980 - "IF KENNEDY WINS, YOU LOSE".

It is amazing how some political statements retain their validity through the decades.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »
Fat Teddy is pushing for a change in how his replacement is named.  Could he be seeing the grim specter of death?

Offline Karin

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 12:20:53 PM »
I don't know about Baucus, but I'm waiting for Fat Teddy to die.  On that day, I will not watch any live TV.  I will not be able to stomach the fawning and the hypocrisy.  I'll watch old Twilight Zones or something on the DVR.  Die, already, Teddy. 

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
[grumble]They shouldn't have limited the poll to just Baucus[/grumble]

Sorry...too soon?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »
Looks like Ted is going to outlive everyone in that tragic family.

Anyone remember the sit-com SOAP.?   He would have made a wonderful charactor on that show---OR Mary Hartman Mary Heartman.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »
I don't know about Baucus, but I'm waiting for Fat Teddy to die.  On that day, I will not watch any live TV.  I will not be able to stomach the fawning and the hypocrisy.  I'll watch old Twilight Zones or something on the DVR.  Die, already, Teddy. 

Noggin and Playstation 2 will be my friends that day.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 05:20:26 PM »

I think that day, when it happens, I'll commemorate it by cleaning out the cat-litter box.

Because it's summer, and the cats have in/out access to the house 24/7, they haven't used the litter box since May or something; nothing in it but clean litter.

But maybe when it happens, it would be a good idea to change the litter anyway.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 05:20:55 PM »
Quote from:
JDPriestly

Is Max Baucus' stall in the Senate a macabre strategy to prevent Ted Kennedy from voting on health care?

Mary Jo Kopechne could not be reached for comment.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 05:26:23 PM »

That day?  I fear that it will be a weeks long mourning period for the left.  We'll hear all sorts of proposals on how to deify memorialize him. The only thing thing I'd agree to do for him is to rename a certain bridge bridge "The Mary Jo Kopechne Bridge".