Author Topic: DUmmies Discuss Shutting Down Free Republic  (Read 2731 times)

Offline thundley4

Re: DUmmies Discuss Shutting Down Free Republic
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
That is a very stupid way to run a board, one of the worst I've seen. Thanks for the info.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »
The problem isn't so much the software at FR but the amount of posts and people posting there that makes it hard to navigate.
DU on the other hand uses a format that is really irritating to try to follow until you get used to it and even then its still cumbersome. Then throw in all the nuked posts and some threads you have no idea what they are talking about.

The way it's set up, you get a "reply to post #" crap, I just can't follow. I like things in context, which to DUmmies, is like holy water thrown on a vampire!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 02:36:44 PM »
FR and DU share a common problem - they are both based on horrible, outdated software. The only difference is DU periodically applies window dressing to theirs. I'm certain its because neither site wants to lose their history, so they both plod along.

DU is the most horrible looking forum I have seen in my life

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 05:31:35 PM »
DU is the most horrible looking forum I have seen in my life

Its the threading combined with the primitives inability to properly highlight and display quotes. So, on an active DU thread, one almost needs to reread the entire thing instead of just heading to the bottom like nearly every other forum.

DCForum+ is almost exclusively used by DU and other primitive islands nowadays. Even the creators of the software haven't updated it since 2006. --And IIRC, those updates were only to address severe security issues, not to add features or improvements.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »
I like the uncluttered look of FR

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2009, 07:56:21 PM »
I like the uncluttered look of FR

That too.

freerepublic was the first political web-site on which I ever ventured, in the late 1990s, although I never registered until 2003.

I'm sentimentally attached to freerepublic, and even if they were to have the posts in upside-down backwards Japanese, I'd still like it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2009, 07:58:29 PM »
Its the threading combined with the primitives inability to properly highlight and display quotes. So, on an active DU thread, one almost needs to reread the entire thing instead of just heading to the bottom like nearly every other forum.

You explained it better to thundley4 than I did, sir, and thank you.

The format as used on Skins's island is because the primitives have lesser-developed brains to figure things out, and because even if a rare primitive can, he's too lazy to quote.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2009, 08:12:39 PM »
I never had a problem with FR..it is quite plain but with the ping feature you can have specific conversation or just follow the comments.
DU is what it should be given the inhabitants....insane.
You have no idea what a post is responding to except by the listing and it could be post 60 on a page referring to post 4.
Since as Frank said the fools don`t quote you have to scroll up and down a page to find out what they are commenting on.

It is complete idiocy but since all they ever care about is what each of them has to say it works fine for them.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2009, 10:05:34 PM »
.....all they ever care about is what each of them has to say it works fine for them.

Bingo. 

Another one of the predominant characteristics of the primitives.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline thundley4

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:07 PM »
Bingo. 

Another one of the predominant characteristics of the primitives.

They also care about recs and unrecs. It seems that rants have become more commonplace from even the lesser primitives. They are looking for approval from the other inmates.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:15 PM »
They also care about recs and unrecs. It seems that rants have become more commonplace from even the lesser primitives. They are looking for approval from the other inmates.

I just checked, sir, as you aroused my suspicions.

Yep, this is posted in "General Discussion" rather than in the two or three forums more appropriate for the topic.

The uncool primitives trying to be hip, cool, trendy, with-it, seen hanging around the cool primitives, rather than hanging around with uncool primitives in uncool smaller forums.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2009, 02:56:36 AM »
I think Los DUmmies forget that we have screen caps of all of their threats against the chimperor.

Offline bcsco

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2009, 09:56:53 AM »
Well, Frank, I'm over here now as well. I'm expanding my horizons. As you know I've been on FR for some years, and I find the layout fairly easy to navigate. The problem for me is finding old threads, even those I've posted to. Keywords help somewhat, but not always.

Now I'll have to get used to the format here. I figured out how to reply by hitting your post # then the reply button. Hope that works...

Offline thundley4

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2009, 10:03:13 AM »
Well, Frank, I'm over here now as well. I'm expanding my horizons. As you know I've been on FR for some years, and I find the layout fairly easy to navigate. The problem for me is finding old threads, even those I've posted to. Keywords help somewhat, but not always.

Now I'll have to get used to the format here. I figured out how to reply by hitting your post # then the reply button. Hope that works...

Welcome to the board.  The easiest way to reply to a post is to hit the "quote" button, top right corner of the post you want to reply to.

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2009, 10:09:52 AM »

Hey, welcome, sir!

We work this way--when one wishes to respond to a particular post, rather than clicking the "reply" button, one clicks on the "quote" buttom.  The whole quote shows up automatically at the top of your response.

I'm very happy to see you here!

apres moi, le deluge

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2009, 10:25:54 AM »
Welcome indeed! Hope you enjoy our little place.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline bcsco

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2009, 10:32:46 AM »
Welcome to the board.  The easiest way to reply to a post is to hit the "quote" button, top right corner of the post you want to reply to.

Thanks for the welcome, and to Frank and DixieBelle for same. And thanks for the tip on replies. I'll be nosing around for sure...

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2009, 10:36:12 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, and to Frank and DixieBelle for same. And thanks for the tip on replies. I'll be nosing around for sure...

I think you'll recognize a few fellow FReepers here as well.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline bcsco

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »
I think you'll recognize a few fellow FReepers here as well.

I already have. Right now I'll have to leave as I have work to do. But I'll be back later.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2009, 01:49:15 PM »

Sometimes its better to use Google. Freerepublic.com+ whatever

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2009, 02:47:55 PM »
That too.

freerepublic was the first political web-site on which I ever ventured, in the late 1990s, although I never registered until 2003.

I'm sentimentally attached to freerepublic, and even if they were to have the posts in upside-down backwards Japanese, I'd still like it.

FR is where I met ya coach. You and several others I still communicate with. It was how I ventured over to CU and ultimately here. I still occasionally visit FR, but CC is my home now. I like the company we keep here with a few exceptions of which I'm sure most here are aware of.

FR can be tedious, especially when you want to post attachments or pics. It helps to understand html. Still it stands out in my opinion for replying to posts made directly to you. I do wish we had that capability here.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Ree

• It's Ree...
  • 100+ pounds lighter.. Ain't I hot
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2009, 03:00:19 PM »
I still read FR..but post mostly here or one other site...I have to watch what I type to close at FR...
In Tennessee. I came down here to get warm,froze my arse off since I got here..
Just my luck... ;-P